PDA

View Full Version : The Most Popular Paint?

Greendragon
26-11-2012, 19:43
Simple question, what do you guys think is the one most used paint in the entire Citadel Range?

To make this an interesting discussion I think replies should also contain a reason why, I'll start the ball rolling...

I seriously think the single most popular is Devlan Mud or whatever its called now. Everyone I know always has one and it seems to be the "go-to" wash to darken things up, not to mention that its slang on another forum for rude words. Its quite a versatile wash, I've used it for armor, fur and terrain pieces. If it wasn't that I'd go for black primer spray, although technically that doesn't count as one of the big one four four.

Griefbringer
26-11-2012, 19:54
A number of years ago, Fat Bloke wrote in one of his editorials that the most sold product of the entire GW range (not just paints) was the humble Chaos Black paint.

I am not sure whether that was measured in the number of units sold, or by the monetary value of the product.

Triple King
26-11-2012, 23:11
Easily Chaos/Whateveritisnow Black. I go through more pots of that than anything else.

Caiphas Cain
27-11-2012, 00:01
Its Chaos Black. No question.

Noserenda
27-11-2012, 00:06
Yep, Chaos Black used to outsell most other paints 5/6 to 1. Devlan Mud I suspect will erode that lead though.

Why? Well I cant think of a model i havent used some black paint on... Even if its just base touch ups.

Mini77
27-11-2012, 00:29
I can't think of a model I've ever painted that doesn't have black on it somewhere.

Karak Norn Clansman
27-11-2012, 01:07
It's either Chaos Black/Abaddon Black or Brown Ink/Devlan Mud/Agalstrax Earthshade. Brown washes are very useful for many surfaces, and they are widely used. You'll probably consume one, two or even three pots on the average army.

I rarely use pure Chaos Black. Pure grey or grey mixed with black and then washed with Badab Black once or twice will give you a highlight for free as the wash dries. I also find a medium-tone undercoat works better than a black one (not to mention a white one...), and as such Chaos Black might at best be mixed in lightly with Adeptus Battlegrey and a brown paint to produce a good basecoat.

Konovalev
27-11-2012, 16:29
Really? chaos black? That is surprising. Black is one of the few colors I never purchased from GW because black is black, and I can get black paint in much larger quantities cheaper elsewhere. I would have expected one of their other colors to come out ahead.

ColShaw
27-11-2012, 16:42
Black. Whenever I buy model paint, I always, always buy another pot of black. I use the stuff like it's heroin and I'm a shaking, shivering junkie. I've bought more Chaos Black over the years than any other 4 colors combined.

lbecks
27-11-2012, 16:51
Chaos black was a really good paint.

gunmonkey
27-11-2012, 17:16
Kinda sad they changed the name to Abaddon Black, it was a bit of an institution to have Skull White/Chaos Black survive since around the time the paint ranges were 1st launched. Its like changing the name of White Dwarf or Warhammer. Dont get why they needed to change them, probably something to do with "Synergy" or "Dyanamicisim" :rolleyes:

EmperorNorton
27-11-2012, 17:27
I've always found that surprising, as I rarely use black paint and usually in small quantities.

Scammel
27-11-2012, 17:28
Dont get why they needed to change them, probably something to do with "Synergy" or "Dyanamicisim"

Nothing of the sort, AFAIK. Apparently there were some issues around being able to protect the names in the legal sense.

BigbyWolf
27-11-2012, 17:39
I undercoat in white, and my preferred actual colour is Liche Purple.

Gorgeous stuff.

Morkash
27-11-2012, 19:41
I guess it's Chaos Black, it is just the most used one, especially if you calculate the spray in. For personal use, I've used quite a few Boltgun Metal and Bestial Brown pots and Devlan Mud & Badab Black when they were released. Of all the mentioned colours I also bought another one before they were replaced. :)

ColShaw
28-11-2012, 18:56
If I don't count black, I guess my most-beloved colors are probably Dark Angels Green, Scorched Brown, Codex Grey, and Liche Purple. Sadly, none of which are still available... :(

Greendragon
28-11-2012, 21:31
I know they've changed it to Abaddon Black now, but I still have a pot of "Undercoat Black" I'm wondering where the heck that came from!? Also the primer sprays are still called Skull White and Chaos Black, I've noticed they haven't changed names - too much stock to change?

lbecks
28-11-2012, 21:32
I know they've changed it to Abaddon Black now, but I still have a pot of "Undercoat Black" I'm wondering where the heck that came from!? Also the primer sprays are still called Skull White and Chaos Black, I've noticed they haven't changed names - too much stock to change?

They put those in certain painting sets.

Liability
28-11-2012, 21:36
Was the "Undercoat Black" any different to Chaos Black? Mine seemed to dry gloss, which was a pain.

I seem to have gotten through a lot of Goblin Green in my time. Ahh, the days of lurid green bases and lurid green orcs...

Mini77
30-11-2012, 06:21
Was the "Undercoat Black" any different to Chaos Black? Mine seemed to dry gloss, which was a pain.

It was different. Probably a different formula. Undercoat Black was made in china and Chaos Black made in France.

Thuggrim
06-12-2012, 21:47
Now Vallejo - thats not trolling it is. I really like some P3 paints - but not the whole range and some of the army painter game colours are actually very good for providing basic colours.

GW wise - chaos black always sold the most. I personally found the 2 most useful to be scorched brown and dark flesh.

Not tried the new paints, I have heard positive reviews but I have a lot of paints - GW have proved they cannot be relied upon to keep a stable range and the price is just bad value for money

The bearded one
07-12-2012, 07:23
I've always found that surprising, as I rarely use black paint and usually in small quantities.

Me too. I spray the model black with the spray can and that is usually the extent of my use of black, apart from very occasional touch ups. To darken up colours I use washes or a darker tint of the colour I'm using, but rarely chaos black. I've only used a handful of pots in 8 years.

My personal most popular is no doubt devlan mud/agrax earthshade, because its useable for virtually every single model. Its followed distantly by thraka green/biel-tan green, because for my lizardmen, as you'lll probably swiftly notice in my lizzy blog, I absolutely used gallons of the stuff. All-over body washes. Its a testimony to the usefullnes of brown washes that even with my lizardmen I used nearly as much brown wash as green, to do all the gold and the shields.

Angelwing
07-12-2012, 07:30
chaos black of course. My personal favourite is chestnut ink. Devlan mud is very good too. I haven't purchased any of the new range yet.

Spider-pope
10-12-2012, 17:35
Really? chaos black? That is surprising. Black is one of the few colors I never purchased from GW because black is black, and I can get black paint in much larger quantities cheaper elsewhere. I would have expected one of their other colors to come out ahead.

Not always. I've found that like non-priest socks, sometimes with other brands it's not black at all but very,very,very,very,very dark grey. Chaos/Abaddon Black on the other hand is always black.

Scaryscarymushroom
10-12-2012, 19:24
...black is black, and I can get black paint in much larger quantities cheaper elsewhere.

There's a funny thing about black. Historically, people have used very highly concentrated dark blue, purple, red, or green pigments to make "black." This is mostly true for dyes and ink though. I'm not sure how it translates to acrylics, or paint in general...

but if you look around you'll notice fairly subtle differences between black paints in every range. Chaos Black is somewhat reddish and a little deeper when compared to vallejo black, IIRC.

Little Wolf
11-12-2012, 09:27
For us it's definitely Scorched Brown. Mainly because it's the main color for my SO's beastman, and also the first coat (the one directly over sand, which always sucks up loaaads of paint) on every single base in 3 seperate armies.

lbecks
11-12-2012, 10:55
There's a funny thing about black. Historically, people have used very highly concentrated dark blue, purple, red, or green pigments to make "black." This is mostly true for dyes and ink though. I'm not sure how it translates to acrylics, or paint in general...

but if you look around you'll notice fairly subtle differences between black paints in every range. Chaos Black is somewhat reddish and a little deeper when compared to vallejo black, IIRC.

Acrylics blacks are usually made from carbon black pigment, basically soot from charring stuff.

Evil Hypnotist
11-12-2012, 11:20
For us it's definitely Scorched Brown. Mainly because it's the main color for my SO's beastman, and also the first coat (the one directly over sand, which always sucks up loaaads of paint) on every single base in 3 seperate armies.

+1, Scorched Brown/Rhinox Hide is used in every model I paint, normally as a base layer to bone thanks to the number of skulls on fantasy kits these days. Devlan Mud/Agrax Earthshade is another favourite in my gaming group, when the new paint range was due to come in my friend bought all my local stockist had (4 pots I think) in case the new range didn't have something similar!

EmperorNorton
11-12-2012, 11:32
Me too. I spray the model black with the spray can and that is usually the extent of my use of black, apart from very occasional touch ups.
Exactly. And even if I am painting something black I usually do not use pure black, but a very dark grey, so it can be shaded properly.
So I'm still clueless why it's considered a matter of course that black is the most popular paint.

My most used paint is probably Khaki. With dozens of projects on the go I like to use different colours for each of my armies, but there's always something that gets painted with Khaki.

Griefbringer
12-12-2012, 08:50
So I'm still clueless why it's considered a matter of course that black is the most popular paint.

Perhaps because Fat Bloke once stated so in a WD editorial, based on actual sales data?

Inquisitor Kallus
12-12-2012, 08:56
chaos black was the most popular paint (and probably still is under its new name/form Abaddon Black), this was based on salesdata we received at a number of meetings and so on. We also used to get the best selling blisters and boxes too.

@Emperor Norton: Like many other people you are looking at mainly your own spending/buying/using habbit. This happens a lot as people expect something to be a certain way because that is what they do. Its a very common occurence.

Remember that CB can be used to darken many other colours, and though whilst results aren't always favourable (especially when your skill level increases or the like) it along with white are the most versatile in most cases. This is mainly due to grey scaling/tone.

EmperorNorton
12-12-2012, 10:19
Thanks for the explanation. I'm beginning to understand.
If I were a kid just starting out and I could only afford a handful of paints I'd probably make sure black was one of them, too.

IJW
12-12-2012, 12:08
Perhaps because Fat Bloke once stated so in a WD editorial, based on actual sales data?

Wasn't that Skull White?!?

Spider-pope
12-12-2012, 13:07
Wasn't that Skull White?!?

Nope it was definitely Chaos Black. It was an editorial about how they are often asked what the best selling GW product is, and everyone expects it to be a tactical squad or whatever, but that it's actually the humble pot of black paint.

IJW
12-12-2012, 13:24
OK, I could have sworn the editorial said Skull White not Chaos Black.

Naley
12-12-2012, 16:20
Def. abbaddon black. I often prime with white and have to paint a layer of black before i paint the metal parts But the paint I use most of is Seraphim Sepia! As a Tomb Kings player this is a must for me, I recently started painting my 7000 pts legion. Having only painted a couple of units(I give them a heavy wash) the box I only have 1/3 left. Use it on the bases to. Have a extra box ready if I run out, wont risk that with christimas holliday coming up :)

Griefbringer
12-12-2012, 19:33
OK, I could have sworn the editorial said Skull White not Chaos Black.

Nope, Chaos Black was the best selling paint, though Skull White was mentioned as being the second best selling. Direct quote from the article:

"The bestselling item is Chaos Black paint. When you hear it the answer smacks you right in the face - everyone uses paints and only Skull White comes close to rivalling Mr C. Blacks dominance at the top of the chart."

Granted, this was published ten years ago (WD 274, October 2002), and painting trends may have changed slightly since then, but I would expect black and white paint to still rank at the top positions.

GomezAddams
12-12-2012, 19:44
A number of years ago, Fat Bloke wrote in one of his editorials that the most sold product of the entire GW range (not just paints) was the humble Chaos Black paint.

He also said, and I've heard staffers confirm this, that chaos black was used by a lot of other hobbiests because its quite a good 'pure' black as opposed to a black grey - whether thats still true now with price rises, more informed customers (Vallejo all the way!), and changes in branding.

I'd expect brushes to be quite high - I'm always nipping in to buy a brush or two.

shelfunit.
12-12-2012, 21:01
I imagine Liquid Green Stuff (technically listed as a "paint") would be close now, for... certain reasons...:angel:

Gertjan
13-12-2012, 16:49
Not always. I've found that like non-priest socks, sometimes with other brands it's not black at all but very,very,very,very,very dark grey. Chaos/Abaddon Black on the other hand is always black.

I always thought it was very,very,very,very,very dark blue :D But then again, it's been a while since I saw that series. I should try to find it again actually, it had it's good moments.

But I have used Black far more than any other color aswell, with bleached bone coming a close 2nd because for some reason, my bleached bone always dried up far quicker than the other paints. I do have to say that I spray paint my models black and then usually use chaos black to even the undercoat so it's the same everywhere and completely covers the model as I never seem able to spray in the little crevices.

Spider-pope
14-12-2012, 11:06
I always thought it was very,very,very,very,very dark blue :D But then again, it's been a while since I saw that series. I should try to find it again actually, it had it's good moments.

It is in fact, dark blue in the case of socks. But with paint it's grey. Always nice to see someone with impeccable taste in comedy though :D.

colonel kane trine
14-12-2012, 11:30
Il say the same as most people here its got to be chaos/abaddon black

Still Standing
22-12-2012, 17:41
For me it's Devlan Mud and Shining Gold. Not entirely sure what replaced those, I purchased a LOT of them when I heard they were going out of fashion...

HavoK
22-12-2012, 18:37
Brown ink! For sure

HavoK
22-12-2012, 18:38
It's either Chaos Black/Abaddon Black or Brown Ink/Devlan Mud/Agalstrax Earthshade. Brown washes are very useful for many surfaces, and they are widely used. You'll probably consume one, two or even three pots on the average army.

I rarely use pure Chaos Black. Pure grey or grey mixed with black and then washed with Badab Black once or twice will give you a highlight for free as the wash dries. I also find a medium-tone undercoat works better than a black one (not to mention a white one...), and as such Chaos Black might at best be mixed in lightly with Adeptus Battlegrey and a brown paint to produce a good basecoat.

You sir are a genious regardin the gray+blackwash = extra highlight, never thought of that, my hat of for you!

Hellbrandt Grimm
23-12-2012, 09:16
Simple question, what do you guys think is the one most used paint in the entire Citadel Range?

Hi,

I'm a French retailer and the Chaoc Black is the only pot that I order nearly every weeks, if it can help you in your quest ;)

I am not sure whether that was measured in the number of units sold, or by the monetary value of the product.

Was in number of unit, Kirby told it us when I worked in GW, for money value, I think it was the SM Rhino, but not sure it's always the case ...

Cheers,
HG