PDA

View Full Version : GW advance order, priority shipping

Binky
27-11-2012, 10:55
Just ordered some Hobbit stuff from GW, went for the priority express shipping option hoping that as that offers next day delivery that the stuff would arrive on Saturday, as they say it will be posted on Friday. However, now wondering if that might not be the case, as a lot of courier companies don't do Saturday delivery (unless you pay extra).

So just wondering if anyone knows how GW ship out priority advance orders (courier or Royal Mail) or has any experience of delivery times in this sort of case?

Melkanador
27-11-2012, 11:18
You´ll get the Hobbit stuff the week after the release weekend unless you ordered it directly to a local GW store.

This GW policy has been in place for quite a time now.

Chaos and Evil
27-11-2012, 13:25
GW don't ship out "advanced order" models until they've already been released in GW retail stores for several days.

Binky
27-11-2012, 13:31
The website now says they ship advance orders on the Friday before release, as long as you order by Wednesday, so I think their policy may have changed.

angelismortis
27-11-2012, 14:02
I received a ship notification on my Hobbit advance order yesterday.

loveless
27-11-2012, 14:12
I received a ship notification on my Hobbit advance order yesterday.

Last time I advance ordered something from GW Direct, I got my ship notification a full week before it showed up. Just saying...

angelismortis
27-11-2012, 16:47
Good point. My DV took 2-3 weeks to arrive.

Binky
29-11-2012, 15:44
So does anyone know the answer to the original question, how does GW UK send "priority express" orders? Is it a method that does Saturday deliveries, or was paying the £11 for delivery a waste of money?

Kegslayer
29-11-2012, 15:47
If you are lucky you will get it on Monday, if not then Tuesday

Binky
29-11-2012, 15:58
That's annoying, that's the sort of delivery times I've usually got from their free delivery :(

Notice that the priority express option doesn't even say it's guaranteed next day delivery, just estimated, pretty poor for the cost.

Mastodon
29-11-2012, 16:02
So does anyone know the answer to the original question, how does GW UK send "priority express" orders? Is it a method that does Saturday deliveries, or was paying the £11 for delivery a waste of money?

Yes it was. You might get it on Monday instead of the Tuesday everyone else did. Could you not have it sent to the store or did you miss the cut off date?

Binky
29-11-2012, 16:07
Didn't really want to waste the time driving to the store at the weekend, 22 mile round trip. Work nearby though, so annoyingly could have picked the stuff up on Monday fairly easily anyway.

Also, won't be home when they try to deliver it now, so that will be extra hassle. Normally get stuff sent to work but decided to pay the extra to get it Saturday.

Tempted to cancel and just pick the stuff up at a later date.

Binky
29-11-2012, 16:35
Hmm, just phoned to cancel, apparently it's been dispatched today, but despite paying £11 for one working day delivery they reckon it won't arrive till Monday. So something wrong there somewhere, either it hasn't been dispatched today or they're ripping me off on the postage.

Mastodon
29-11-2012, 17:06
Hmm, just phoned to cancel, apparently it's been dispatched today, but despite paying £11 for one working day delivery they reckon it won't arrive till Monday. So something wrong there somewhere, either it hasn't been dispatched today or they're ripping me off on the postage.

You can only get new release product on the day its released if you pick it up from a store. It says so on the item when you order it. You've paid to have it a day earlier than everyone else thats having it sent to their homes (monday instead of tuesday)

Binky
29-11-2012, 17:36
You can only get new release product on the day its released if you pick it up from a store. It says so on the item when you order it. You've paid to have it a day earlier than everyone else thats having it sent to their homes (monday instead of tuesday)

What it says is that advance orders will be posted on Friday and that delivery times will depend on the shipping method you choose, I chose and paid for one day delivery. Just didn't realise at the time that they used a service that didn't do saturday delivery.

However, the fact that it's apparently shipped today (which is good) but they don't expect it to arrive tomorrow, suggests that I'm not getting the one day delivery service that I paid extra for.

Mini77
30-11-2012, 08:59
However, the fact that it's apparently shipped today (which is good) but they don't expect it to arrive tomorrow, suggests that I'm not getting the one day delivery service that I paid extra for.

Express is one *working* day.

Binky
30-11-2012, 09:06
Friday is a working day, so if it actually was shipped yesterday then it should arrive today, however I suspect it probably hadn't actually shipped, they just didn't want me to cancel.

But yes, realise now that the delivery method they use doesn't seem to deliver on Saturdays, just assumed that it would as I've had express deliveries from Forgeworld on a Saturday before and Royal Mail do Saturday deliveries as well.

Makes the fact that you can pick (and pay for) the priority express delivery options for advance orders a bit pointless really.

Volt
30-11-2012, 11:58
They should do it like a lot of record companies do when you preorder a new cd. They mail the preordered item a few days before it is released so the person gets the item right around the actual release date. Why can't GW ship out 1 day deliveries on Thursday (or Wednesday nights)?

dala_karn
30-11-2012, 19:51
So thats why my last three pre-orders have been 1-2 weeks late. well ******* em, last time I pre-order anything from them. jerks.

DarkWarrior1981
01-12-2012, 06:32
Over here in Germany the best way to get the items on the day (if you won't go into a GW store) is to order from an independent retailer. They get their stuff thursdays, pack it and sent it out on friday using our mail service (DHL). This way 99% of the orders are with us on release day, i.e. saturday. Rather poor considering that the producer of the minis is not even able to do the same...

Mastodon
01-12-2012, 19:37
They should do it like a lot of record companies do when you preorder a new cd. They mail the preordered item a few days before it is released so the person gets the item right around the actual release date. Why can't GW ship out 1 day deliveries on Thursday (or Wednesday nights)?

Because they want you to go into their stores and pick the items up there. And then you'll have more stuff, because everyone knows you cant go into a gw without picking up that paint you forgot you needed etc.

Its also important to remember that for some strange reason, you can get 'shipped' emails the second after you've ordered something. Sometimes even at 2am in the morning. There doesnt seem to be a rhyme or reason for it.

Volt
01-12-2012, 21:12
Because they want you to go into their stores and pick the items up there. And then you'll have more stuff, because everyone knows you cant go into a gw without picking up that paint you forgot you needed etc.

Good point, but still you would think they could have pre-orders out by release date.

Melkanador
01-12-2012, 21:19
Good point, but still you would think they could have pre-orders out by release date.

They could if they wanted to.

Mastodon
04-12-2012, 13:39

They can and do. If you go and pick them up from a store. For the above reasons. By removing the chance of people getting models early and impacting peoples opinions negatively (and positively, its not all good) and by also getting those customers that hardly ever come into the store to do just that, it seems to be working out for them.

They are pretty clear about shipping taking 2-3 working days and priority shipping taking 1 working day too, so they aren't actually lying on their web order page.