PDA

View Full Version : Conversions and base sizes

DaemonprincePaul
27-11-2012, 11:22
Hey guys so I am converting up a Khornate Chaos Space Marine lord with a Chain Axe and the Axe of Blind Fury. The Model which im using the torso legs and head from is my devastator sergant (he was one armed) :P. Now for my conversion I am putting him on a termie base as even though he is in power armour I want to put a few bits on the base (Namely heads and bodies of various scrap models to show his slaughter). What I want to know is, would anyone have a problem with this. He is gaining no real advantage from the bigger base its just the case of if I put him on a normal sized base I wont be able to fully do the conversion as I wont be able to have all the body parts littering on the floor.

Scalebug
27-11-2012, 11:32
By the rules; No, you can't change bases. Up or down.

But who you should ask is the people you are going to be playing against, not Random Q. Randomson on warseer.

It is not going to help you the least that people said "Sure, It's your models", "GW don't care about base sizes", "Base sizes is just a way for GW to take ur moneys!!!11" (Really..:rolleyes:), "You can change up but not down..." (Wrong, that was the wording several editions ago) or "If someone throws a fit about that they are not worth playing" (or similar idiot high horsery) when the local player or T.O points to the rulebook and says you can't do it.

Polaria
27-11-2012, 11:37
I would strongly suggest that if the base size change is purely for putting more scenery into your base you put the actual model into regular 25mm base and build a 40mm "display base" so that the 25mm original base slots into it. Its surprisingly easy to do with some greenstuff and it solves all your problems about using the miniature no matter where you take it.

sprugly
27-11-2012, 14:45
It's unlikely anyone will care in a casual setting. Tournaments may be a different matter. I base most of my characters on 40mm bases and no one has ever even mentioned it. But I only play casually.

Sprugly

DaemonprincePaul
27-11-2012, 15:17
I play casually mostly but am planning on entering next years 40k throne of skulls (may take my mono khorne marine force which im working on or my daemons but havent decided yet lol)

Clang
28-11-2012, 04:51
I would strongly suggest that if the base size change is purely for putting more scenery into your base you put the actual model into regular 25mm base and build a 40mm "display base" so that the 25mm original base slots into it. Its surprisingly easy to do with some greenstuff and it solves all your problems about using the miniature no matter where you take it.

I like this idea.

Yes, in a 'serious' competitive setting like a tourney, some people will complain about nonstandard base sizes and a strict umpire might agree with them, so it really is preferable to be able to play with standard bases, even if you have separate fancy display bases.

You might consider small magnets for securely holding the small base inside the bigger base.