PDA

View Full Version : Towers, towers and more towers

Griefbringer
27-11-2012, 11:44
I was lately browsing through the scenery section on the GW website, and noticed that the fantasy scenery selection available at the moment tends to heavily emphasize towers. At the moment the selection available includes:

1.) Watchtower
2.) Warhammer fortress tower
3.) Witchfate Tor, tower of sorcery)
4.) Deathknell watch (tower with signalling device)
5.) Skullvane Manse, lair of the astromancer
6.) Dreadstone blight (ruined tower)

Not that I have anything against a nice tower or two - indeed I have got one on my painting table at the moment - but this is starting to feel a bit excessive, especially considering that the rest of the building range is rather limited. It would be nice to see some more ordinary plastic buildings added to the range, like townhouse, inn, peasant cottage or animal shelter.

Sh4d0w
27-11-2012, 12:47
I 100% agree with you, I mean they have the fortified manor but they could easily expand on that. I would particularly like an inn, would be able to set the scene more for lotr battles (prancing pony).

Griefbringer
27-11-2012, 14:15
As for the fortified manor, it also includes the watchtower as one of the components...

MasterSplinter
27-11-2012, 15:00
maybe the GW desicion makers have to compenste for something who knows...?

I would like to see other types of terrain as well since the quality is as good as always in GW Products.

ANother consideration would be that they are really good at doing buildings but lack at other kind of stuff. The "wood" for example i dont like.

Malorian
27-11-2012, 15:15
I agree but there is a reason: towers are easy.

No odd angels, easy to design, easy to mold, and easy to put together.

I wish they would come up with other things, in particular the items on the random terrain table, but in the end Battlefield in a Box is better anyway ;)

peukestas
27-11-2012, 16:35
Its a pity that there are no elven structures or elven towers. I wish there was a plastic set for that part of the warhammer world, even if it was "elven ruins".

Malorian
27-11-2012, 17:33
Its a pity that there are no elven structures or elven towers. I wish there was a plastic set for that part of the warhammer world, even if it was "elven ruins".

Look at Battlefield in a Box. They have an elven tower and pillars.

Griefbringer
27-11-2012, 17:35
On another note, I realised that the Deathknell watch seems to bear a striking resemblance to the observatory part of the Skullvane Manse. Both seem to be the shape octagonal shape, with similar looking stone work and gigantic skull motifs as wall decoration. Are those two actually sharing some of the components?

Artiee
27-11-2012, 17:56
On another note, I realised that the Deathknell watch seems to bear a striking resemblance to the observatory part of the Skullvane Manse. Both seem to be the shape octagonal shape, with similar looking stone work and gigantic skull motifs as wall decoration. Are those two actually sharing some of the components?

Yes.. the only components that it doesn't share is the base and the skelly.

Aéquitas
27-11-2012, 18:06
I agree all the towers are a bit boring. When it comes to scenery the best things to get are the Garden of Morr, Forest and the Fortified Manor. The rest of the fanatsy scenery is better to scratchbuilt using parts of the various scenery.
I would love to see GW make a kit for the Dwarven Brewhouse and have it double up as an Inn.

Royals
27-11-2012, 18:47

I wish they would come up with other things, in particular the items on the random terrain table, but in the end Battlefield in a Box is better anyway ;)

Agreed. The Battlefield in a Box terrain is top notch! I have most of the Hall of Heroes set except for the Grand Vestibule. I also have the Tree of Woe, and a bunch of the Ruins.

zoggin-eck
27-11-2012, 19:37
I'm totally bored with towers myself, so I made a few houses and other buildings myself. It may have more to do with being useful in the game (units garrisoning towers suits scenarios, even if you can garrison other types of buildings).

Perhaps it's more so the terrain suits other armies, since it's all Empire themed. It makes sense even for Orcs, Goblins, Skaven etc. not to burn down useful buildings like towers, whereas perfectly intact houses with an Orc army camped within is a stretch.

40k gets off lighter, with a decent range of terrain, even if it's all Imperial.

TheDungen
27-11-2012, 19:59
towers are actually pretty usefull terrain pieces when you have true line of sight since its pretty obvious what is blocked and what isnt.

xxRavenxx
27-11-2012, 20:29
I like towers. And skulls. There's a reason I picked this hobby...

The Low King
27-11-2012, 21:25
Towers are good because they add height to the battlefield for minimal space......a gigantic garrisonable building or impassible terrain would basically block off a gigantic section of the board, plus to a player it would just be mainly roof. Towers though allow plenty of imagination and detail without the same space limitations, all on a level where you can actually see all the details without lying on the table.

Shnerg
27-11-2012, 21:46
Look at Battlefield in a Box. They have an elven tower and pillars.

I knew you were going to say that the moment I saw that he asked about Elf terrain! :P

I would have quite liked a druidic tower (Like kind of a big tree trunk with eagles and stuff.)

SteveW
27-11-2012, 22:52
A bretonian themed castle or keep would be awesome.

Cap'n Facebeard
28-11-2012, 02:52
At the risk of sounding cynical, the problem is making terrain people will want to spend money on. Sure, people like me might fork out for a farmhouse, but younger players would probably only buy terrain that looks cool. Its a case of convincing people to spend their hobby budget on buildings rather than armies, so the building have to be seductive. Hence all the giant, skull-covered, crazily-decorated pieces.

Laniston
28-11-2012, 03:40
Maybe this is why Storm of Magic is so focused on Arcane Fulcrums (towers basically)........hmmmmmmmm....

Griefbringer
28-11-2012, 08:29

True for the towers with flat walls, but what about the ones with rounded walls?

Scythe
28-11-2012, 12:17
I don't mind a tower or two, but indeed, the fantasy range currently has an overkill of towers or tower-like structures. I never even considered buying deathknell or skullvane, for example. I have enough towers in my collection; those two don't add anything for me (besides looking goofy, that is).

Tabletop world has some amazing, varied, fantasy scenery. It is not cheap, but the detail level is astonishing, and the models ooze character:
http://www.tabletop-world.com/
They also convinced me that forgeworld really doesn't know what they are doing with resin casting. It was a revelation to work with resin with no flash or mould lines whatsoever, and which fits together like a dream without spending half an hour heating and bending resin.

Griefbringer
28-11-2012, 12:51
I
Tabletop world has some amazing, varied, fantasy scenery. It is not cheap, but the detail level is astonishing, and the models ooze character:

Those are certainly very impressive pieces! And the town house and cottage actually seem to be quite affordable, though I did not check how much the shipping costs would add to that.

Malorian
28-11-2012, 13:55
True for the towers with flat walls, but what about the ones with rounded walls?

It's not much of a difference. And actually you'll find that GW likes making hexigon shaped towers to meet in the middle of round and flat.

decker_cky
28-11-2012, 23:34
This thread is missing the most important GW tower:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1140139

-Loki-
29-11-2012, 00:51
They also convinced me that forgeworld really doesn't know what they are doing with resin casting. It was a revelation to work with resin with no flash or mould lines whatsoever, and which fits together like a dream without spending half an hour heating and bending resin.

I've been heavily considering Tabletop World for a few peices. Their Graveyard makes the Garden of Morr look like a play set, and their buildings like the Cottage and Townhouse are stupendously detailed for simple terrain. The price puts me off, considering with shipping it's roughly twice the cost of GW terrain, which is already super pricey.

But then, with a few Cottages, a Townhouse and a Graveyard, plus some woods from somewhere else, I could make a pretty awesome table.

Scythe
29-11-2012, 07:04
Those are certainly very impressive pieces! And the town house and cottage actually seem to be quite affordable, though I did not check how much the shipping costs would add to that.

It was not too bad, in my experience, and I reckon The Netherlands and Finland will not be very different in price when sending from Croatia.

I've been heavily considering Tabletop World for a few peices. Their Graveyard makes the Garden of Morr look like a play set, and their buildings like the Cottage and Townhouse are stupendously detailed for simple terrain. The price puts me off, considering with shipping it's roughly twice the cost of GW terrain, which is already super pricey.

But then, with a few Cottages, a Townhouse and a Graveyard, plus some woods from somewhere else, I could make a pretty awesome table.

Of course, prices are steep (though the townhouse and cottage are not that bad). In the end, it comes down to what a table is worth for you. For me, the extra detail level and the seer quality of the models is worth the extra investment. I only own the timbered house and some small stuff at the moment, but in the end I aim to build a small town of their models.

Griefbringer
29-11-2012, 09:55
Their Graveyard makes the Garden of Morr look like a play set

Yes, that graveyard is insanely impressive looking! However, it is also not very modular, with the walls cast to the base. How do they manage to cast that all in one piece, with such awesome detail? Also those rail fencing bits look very nice, but would they also be a bit frail?

That said, the mausoleum and tombstones seem to be available separately.

angelismortis
29-11-2012, 10:16
Several pieces are available separately and some of it is a bit frail. My graveyard made it to the US intact but a couple of the spikes on the roof of the mausoleum didn't survive my clumsy fingers when I unpacked it. The thing is beautiful though and with TTW's Christmas deal it's a good time to buy.