PDA

View Full Version : Up to Speed

Stronginthearm
28-11-2012, 23:13
Greetings and salutations. I've been out of 40k for about 1.5 years, I'm trying to come back since a new store opened up in my town. Can somebody bring me up to speed on what has happened to chaos and in general?

Nurgling Chieftain
28-11-2012, 23:28
Well, the rules got a new edition and chaos got a new codex. So, you've got some reading to do.

Stronginthearm
29-11-2012, 00:06
Ya got that, I was hoping for the essentials with out having to lose 4-7 games before I figured out what all the changes meant.

Akwikone
29-11-2012, 00:35
A quick list of important changes.

1. Cover got worse across the board, 5+ cover for woods, ruins, et cetera and you can now focus fire on models out of cover even if over half the unit is in cover.

2. Wounds are always taken on the closest model, So don't put Sargents in front.

3. Assault is less reliable, 2d6 Charge Range, Models pile in at Intiative, Sargents and IC's can issue Challenges for a seperate 1v1 during the Close Combat.

4. Flyers(Not Skimmers) can only be hit on a 6 if the shooting unit doesn't have Skyfire.

5. Allies, Don't be suprised to see Tau/Eldar, Space Wolves/Blood Angels, Et cetera armies.

6. Reserve Rolls start at 3+ instead of 4+.

7. Night Fight is more common.

8. Kill Points don't matter as much.

9. Vehicles are now much more fagile due to hull points.

10. Double FoC at 2000 points.

I think that's most of the big things. Others please feel free to point things I missed.

Sabe
29-11-2012, 01:35
Ya got that, I was hoping for the essentials with out having to lose 4-7 games before I figured out what all the changes meant.

That wasn't terribly nice. 6th edition actually has quite a few fairly large important changes that would take quite a bit to explain, it be better for you to read the book yourself than to ask someone to create an epic wall of text giving you the actual lowdown and then be disappointed with anything they may have forgotten or left out the first time it hurts you. As for Chaos, last I checked their 6th ED Tactica was up to some 10 pages now, and you want someone to condense it?

Realistically different people are going to have different views on what really is important in the rule changes, for example I feel there are some pretty important misses on Akwikone's list, and think some of the things on his list are either unimportant or misleading. That's just difference of opinion. The best way for you to figure out what has changed that you value is to...well "lose 4-7 games" and get a feel for the changes. Unless you absolutely cannot abide losing, in which case NC kinda has it right that you have a lot of reading to do, whether it be on the forum or in the books. The only difference is whether or not someone has to write a whole bunch for you or whether you can just use the resources already available.

Stronginthearm
29-11-2012, 02:34
That wasn't terribly nice. 6th edition actually has quite a few fairly large important changes that would take quite a bit to explain, it be better for you to read the book yourself than to ask someone to create an epic wall of text giving you the actual lowdown and then be disappointed with anything they may have forgotten or left out the first time it hurts you. As for Chaos, last I checked their 6th ED Tactica was up to some 10 pages now, and you want someone to condense it?

Realistically different people are going to have different views on what really is important in the rule changes, for example I feel there are some pretty important misses on Akwikone's list, and think some of the things on his list are either unimportant or misleading. That's just difference of opinion. The best way for you to figure out what has changed that you value is to...well "lose 4-7 games" and get a feel for the changes. Unless you absolutely cannot abide losing, in which case NC kinda has it right that you have a lot of reading to do, whether it be on the forum or in the books. The only difference is whether or not someone has to write a whole bunch for you or whether you can just use the resources already available.

It makes me sad that there aren't cheat codes to knowledge. O well, though it does strike me as rather, interesting, that instead of giving me the wall of text that would have fufilled my greatest desires for power and might, you gave me a wall of text about how a wall of text would be bad. You could have just given me a snappy put down and gone on just as well. Never really been a fan of "the resources available" but I guess I could try. Though given the amount of information that Warseer members love to impart, I would guess that I might still get lucky. Here's to noncondensed material and the laziness of me.

JuiceWeasel
29-11-2012, 04:35
I have a couple of what to many may appear to be fairly simple questions but bere with me. I played long ago (2nd Edition) and had a truly killer Eldar army that got totaly nerfed in 3rd ed...so I struggled to find something in 3rd and finaly threw up my hands when 4th came out. Years later my Son is into the game in a big way and wants me to take it up again.

For those in the know, how well does the latest (I assume it's 5th ed) Eldar Codex fit into 6th Ed? Will there be a new Eldar codex out relatively soon? I know I have a fair amount of reading to do. I also have Space Wolves and Imperial Guard...are the codexes out for them in 6th or should I use the 5th ed codex until the new ones appear?

Thanks
JW

Still Standing
29-11-2012, 11:55
Eldar still do relatively well, especially "Footdar" or Eldar all riding Shank's Pony. They are supposed to be getting a new Codex in mid 2013, so will probably be super powerful again.

Shamana
29-11-2012, 12:07
Eldar still do relatively well, especially "Footdar" or Eldar all riding Shank's Pony.

Eh, I wouldn't be so optimistic - I was under the impression they are usually taken as allies for a Warding farseer to mess with the enemy's psychic powers (especially if your own army doesn't use psykers too much). The buffs to RF weaponry and and the rules for assaulting from transport and overwatch definitely haven't done Eldar any favours, the impacts of cover are reduced, and hull points make the old holofield mechdar build pretty much dead in the water. Hull points make mass S6 shooting and haywires better, though, and farseers have access to some very nice disciplines in the book, and probably the best anti-psyker gear in Runes of Warding (oh, and iirc the only anti-perils gear in the helm). Overall, I'd say they make do, but it's not the greatest of times, especially if FW material is not included.

Things may be quite different one year from now, though - chances are there will be a new codex in the latter half of next year :evilgrin: .

For those in the know, how well does the latest (I assume it's 5th ed) Eldar Codex fit into 6th Ed? Will there be a new Eldar codex out relatively soon? I know I have a fair amount of reading to do. I also have Space Wolves and Imperial Guard...are the codexes out for them in 6th or should I use the 5th ed codex until the new ones appear?

There IS a 5th ed Eldar codex - it's the Dark Eldar one :P. It's pretty great, though - interesting and varied units with awesome models. Overwatch hurts the wyches a bit, but incubi are one of the very, very few units that can cut through 2+ armor at initiative.

Imperial Guard and Space Wolves use their 5E codices - so far only Chaos Marines have a 6e codex - but they don't exactly suffer for it. I'd say both would be in the Top 5 armies in terms of strength.