PDA

View Full Version : Imperial guard: why are they so cool

fleshburner
29-11-2012, 23:49
Hello everyone,

I recently sold off a large portion of my models recently as I had lost interest in them and have been unable to reignite my passion for them ( Space marines particularly). I am now wanting to start a new project, and that project is the Imperial guard.

My question is, what is it you find so appealing about the imperial guard? It can be any faction, style of play, models or fluff, anything really. I would like to know what it is that has drawn you to the emperors hammer.
For me it is to do with the fluff. Just recently I have been reading more guard fluff and it has inspired me somewhat, Particularly reading Eisenhorn and the part where they are on Cadia. It has given me a new look on the cadians and now I view them as much cooler then before, what with their lifestyle and just generally be cool well trained badasses. I also recently read the infantrymans uplifting primer for the guard, another very characterful and clever book.

So what are your thoughs on the subject? please inspire me with your words, so I can go on to build a proud regiment of humanitys finest. :D

Ssilmath
29-11-2012, 23:56
I read a book on WW2 tank and mechanized warfare, and was particularly interested in both Panzergrenadiers and Tank Destroyers. So, I went out and bought a bunch of Chimeras and Kasrkin models (As in 3rd ed some Stormtroopers could be taken as Troops choices) and a couple of Basilisks. I got my butt kicked a lot, but they were still fun. Then I needed support personnel, and then officers, and then 5th came about and I needed Air support and yeah...I have much more than Panzergrenadiers now.

TheDungen
30-11-2012, 00:29
They are regular people like you and me, with nothing but their guts and a lasgun (which really isnt better than modern day weapons) to hold back the enemies of man, be they alien daemon or heretic.

Space marines are super heroes but in truth they dont do anything, they may win a battle here and a battle there, meanwhile the guard are fighting thousands of battles for each one the space marines fight.

They're war on a more real scale, a space marine chapter of 1.000 members taking a planet doesn't seem that likely, imagine deploying 1000spacemarines in Asia (30% of earth's landmass and the biggest continent there is) even if they were able to move really fast and never lose a battle they would never be able to win a war there.
An imperial guard battle group however could control a real life size continent (although they're still lacking in numbers to take an entire planet).

ForgottenLore
30-11-2012, 01:01
In general, like TheDungen said, they are much more relateable to us. That makes them very appealing to some people. More specifically for me, personally, I have always liked horde armies, big masses of troops. I am also enamored with the desert and desert mythology and immediately fell in love with the Tallarn models the instant I saw them many years ago.

Fithos
30-11-2012, 01:06
The Artillery Tanks. Nuff Said.

Secondary is Stormtroopers, but they suck in game. I just like the models and the idea of them. They have never been very good (for as long as I have played) but I usually take them.

lordreaven448
30-11-2012, 01:09
It's regular men armed with Laser guns. One it's basic, but compared to what they fight it makes them awesome. And Laser Guns are THE GREATEST weapon idea. I love Lasguns.

unwanted
30-11-2012, 01:46
I can't speak for myself, as I don't actually play Guard (I like them a lot though :D ), but a lot of people also uses them as an opportunity to integrate their taste for real-world Warhistory with 40K, as well as them being more relateable than Marines or Xenos.

OgreBattle
30-11-2012, 01:53
So what are your thoughs on the subject? please inspire me with your words, so I can go on to build a proud regiment of humanitys finest. :D

They are not superhumans, they are ordinary men, fighting against the horrors of the 40k galaxy.
They fight and die for humanity.

They also have a lot of meltaguns, cheap mobile bunkers, and flying super-tanks.

m1acca1551
30-11-2012, 02:06
They are simply human... when i started IG was back in 3rd ihad a few platoons running around, now i have an entire battalion 400 R&F + Officers + support from armour, arty, enginseers, telepaths etc. I actually dont play 40k very much but i still love my IG, i enjoy the ability to create your own regiment and use the battles fought to create honours for victories and defeats, my 1st company is led by the officers i bought in 3rd the only survivors of the many grueling campains they have been on.

I have to admit reading WW2 battles especially those concerning the russian front and there style of all out assaults, desperate last stands and the use of heavy armour and arty also added the fuel to the fire.

And Commisars.... they alone add such an awesome factor to the army book!!

Harbinger
30-11-2012, 05:03
Because in a galaxy overrun with genetically enhanced super humans, alien warrior mystics, bio-engineered killing monsrosities, and weaponry so advanced you should call it magic... the front line of defense is a human with a rifle and a flak vest.

Vaktathi
30-11-2012, 05:19
It's the Imperial Guard that fights and wins almost every conflict the Imperium fights, without so much as a single Space Marine boot. It is not through Bolter and Power armor that the Imperium is protected, but by the innumerable boots, bayonets, treads and shells of the Imperial Guard.

Also, nothing looks cooler on a table than a dozen or more tanks and like 80 infantry, or watching your opponent luxuriate in killing like 30something guardsmen in one round and crushing that feeling when you look at the situation and are like "it's cute you think they mattered". :p

madprophet
30-11-2012, 07:28
The guard are easy to identify with. They are normal humans putting themselves between their families and friends and every nasty the universe can throw at them. They are the real heroes of the 40k universe. They aren't genetically engineered supermen, mystic psychic warriors, chaos powered killing machines or anything super powered. They don't have super-science weapons... just rather conventional guns and tanks (even the lasgun is only marginally better than modern assault rifles).:wtf:

I have about 7000 points of IG (theoretically, I could field 2 infantry companies and an armor company and a recon company and battalion artillery all at the same time...) based on Valhallan figures. I am currently working on a full platoon of female troopers (they will be integrated into the existing units). :evilgrin:

I like the guard because they are us - I can't really identify with a Space Marine, I am not a geneered superman :rolleyes: (If you are - call GW! Such a deal they have for you!!! :shifty:). I certainly can't identify with the Tau, Eldar, or Tyranids... the Orks, maybe a little but I can't take them too seriously... but the guard? Yeah, I can empathize.:angel:

igwarlord
30-11-2012, 08:35
"it's cute you think they mattered". :p

I can not even think of how many times i have actually told my opponent this exact line.

Honestly its big guns and relatable men

Baneboss
30-11-2012, 08:40
My question is, what is it you find so appealing about the imperial guard? It can be any faction, style of play, models or fluff, anything really. I would like to know what it is that has drawn you to the emperors hammer.

Gasmasks...

Beppo1234
30-11-2012, 08:43
I think most people will agree, that they are the most reality based army in 40k, and hence attractive to a lot of people

RandomThoughts
30-11-2012, 13:59
I can't speak for myself, as I don't actually play Guard (I like them a lot though :D ), but a lot of people also uses them as an opportunity to integrate their taste for real-world Warhistory with 40K, as well as them being more relateable than Marines or Xenos.

Well, personally I can relate top eldar a lot better, but that might be just me :D

Vaktathi
30-11-2012, 14:48
Also, another factor, when it comes to models no army has the depth or range that Imperial Guard do. You can have Rambo (Catachan), armies of Starship Troopers lookalikes (Cadian), WW1 trench fighters (Krieg), Space Cossacks (Vostroyans), Fallschirmjaeger (Steel Legion), Scifi drop troops (Elysians), Lawrence of Arabia (Tallarn) and more, far more model variety than any other army.

I can not even think of how many times i have actually told my opponent this exact line.
It's a beautiful thing :D

ColShaw
30-11-2012, 14:57
I agree with Vaktathi and igwarlord tactically, and with many previous posters thematically.

I have a catchphrase for my infantry IG: "When in doubt, send a platoon." Occasionally, when I deploy the army, an opponent will note, "Those guys in the front are going to die." To this I reply, "Of course they're going to die. That's what they're there for." Then watch the slowly dawning comprehension as they realize that they can kill the first one, two, even three ranks of my Guardsmen and there are always more. My Mordian infantry army has never, never been tabled, playing it across 4 editions of the game.

I love the infantry.

Antipathy
30-11-2012, 15:02
Gunships. Gunships, gunships, gunships. All the while humming "Ride of the Valkyries" and imagining the last scenes of We Were Soldiers and Black Hawk Down.

Formerly Wu
30-11-2012, 18:41
They're WW2 GIs, starship troopers, gas-masked trenchers, religious fanatics, Stalinist conscripts, and Rambos. They're tread-heads, fighter jocks, air cavalry, snipers; they're Ogres and swords and cavalry charges and everything in between; all stuck out in a galaxy that wants them (and can easily make them) dead with nothing to rely on but their faith and the guy standing next to them. They've got something for everyone to relate to.

For me though, it's something a little more: they're relatable because they're human, and that means human weakness too. It means they have to deal with greed and petty jealousy and corruption. They get hungry and thirsty and fed up, and do stupid things because of their desperation. They have to deal with people who are more interested in protecting their privileges than fighting the enemies of man. They have dumb inter-unit rivalries that can bite them at the worst times. Their equipment breaks and they deal with it; their commanders sacrifice them for tiny, reversible gains and they deal with it; they're betrayed by the people they're protecting and fighting alongside and they deal with it. When they see a cathedral they feel wonder and peace; when someone points a lasgun at them they feel fear. They don't ever need to feel the (horrifying, unimaginable) touch of true Chaos or see a xeno to have their lives be full of intense struggle.

That's what conflict is about, and it drives story beyond just who punched who and what exploded as a result.

UberlordGendo
30-11-2012, 19:04
It's sort of like why Ollianus Pius is such a fun concept. He was, though fluff has changed, a random guardsmen who assaulted Horus' flagship with the rest of his unit at the end of the Battle of Terra. Somehow, he got separated from his unit and manages to end up on the bridge where Horus has just slain Sanguinus and is about to kill the Emperor. And what does he do, besides wet himself? He runs into the room, placing himself between Horus and the Emperor. Horus, who could remove him from existence with no more trouble than eating a donut or something. And Pius stops him long enough to say 'you'll have to kill me first, and where I die, billions more will rise to take my place.' Horus laughs and then kills him, but the idea that you could have this regular guy stand up to pure evil and be willing to die for his cause in that way is impressive.
They are sort of humanity at their best and worst, figures caught in a world beyond their understanding of ability to effectively change. They're a bunch of ignorant fanatics, facing the worst horrors the universe has. Even doing their best, they'll still probably die horribly, so that's what they do.

Also, tanks. And tanks. And more tanks.

viv714r
30-11-2012, 19:14
The Baneblade & Sons, the only thing that can make an opponent weep short of an Emperor-Class Titan. Also: Commissars, if there's something scary in front of you, put something scarier behind.

Aluinn
30-11-2012, 19:15
I like that they're ordinary humans (i.e. not Space Marines); I understand that appeal of them.

But to do the Whineseer epithet justice, I have to say I don't really like them, either. They seem to always sacrifice all the funky and interesting aesthetic of the Imperium in favor of being Average Joe 20th Century Soldier Guy. It is nice that they're average biologically, but they should bring something of the setting to the table. The Imperium is so extremely important and interesting and yet there's nothing to really make them look or feel "Imperial" to me except some random eagles everywhere, which could just as well make them WWI-II Germans in Space if they were painted right.

By contrast the Sisters of Battle in their Witch Hunters incarnation were completely awesome, because they were "normal" humans who did bring that feel to the table, and I would say the same of Warhammer FB Empire for that setting (i.e. they're what the IG should be to 40K, if GW wasn't too married to the idea that they could be anyonez! from anytimez! to give them a real aesthetic).

EDIT: To be clear and fair I should say that this doesn't mean individual IG armies can't have good aesthetics; I just think GW fails in this department if one looks at how they sell them (i.e. Cadians, Catachans, and different shades of green vehicles, and, prior to that, the other 2nd Ed. regiments being historicals IN SPAAACE).

budman
30-11-2012, 20:22
"Drive me closer I wish to hit it with my sword..."

Vaktathi
30-11-2012, 20:36
I like that they're ordinary humans (i.e. not Space Marines); I understand that appeal of them.

But to do the Whineseer epithet justice, I have to say I don't really like them, either. They seem to always sacrifice all the funky and interesting aesthetic of the Imperium in favor of being Average Joe 20th Century Soldier Guy. It is nice that they're average biologically, but they should bring something of the setting to the table. The Imperium is so extremely important and interesting and yet there's nothing to really make them look or feel "Imperial" to me except some random eagles everywhere, which could just as well make them WWI-II Germans in Space if they were painted right.

By contrast the Sisters of Battle in their Witch Hunters incarnation were completely awesome, because they were "normal" humans who did bring that feel to the table, and I would say the same of Warhammer FB Empire for that setting (i.e. they're what the IG should be to 40K, if GW wasn't too married to the idea that they could be anyonez! from anytimez! to give them a real aesthetic).

EDIT: To be clear and fair I should say that this doesn't mean individual IG armies can't have good aesthetics; I just think GW fails in this department if one looks at how they sell them (i.e. Cadians, Catachans, and different shades of green vehicles, and, prior to that, the other 2nd Ed. regiments being historicals IN SPAAACE).If they ever went with these (http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/XingJun_album/Guard%20and%20cult/IGinspirationtrim-1.jpg) guys from yesteryear, we'd be gold. As is, the closest really "Imperial" IG we've really got are Vostroyans and Death Korps, which if you combined them would be the guy in the picture.

GenerationTerrorist
30-11-2012, 20:47
Imperial Guard are great for the following, simple, reason:

- Is there anything else in 40K that you could happily say "Yeah, I'd have a pint with that bloke" - Unless you are a total psychopath/mentalist, of course.

Marshal_Loss
30-11-2012, 21:04
I love the fact that the Imperium goes so far as to make calculations of exactly how many millions of deaths they'll need to retake worlds! :P

ftayl5
30-11-2012, 21:53
I love Guard because they have absolute balls of the steeliest steel ever. (Is that considered profanity?) (Oh well.)
Because in a world where everyone else is either dressed in power armour, made of a power armour-like metal, designed purely for eating things or has insanely advanced technology, the humble guardsman with his paper mache' armour and functional lasgun still manages to win battles. I like that they're just normal ordinary humans too and that they have emotions.
With Space Marines it's all like "I fight for the Emperor" and so on but a Guardsman could quite simply not be that into the Emperor, as long as he doesn't say it out loud, but might have been drafted against his will or might have signed up to escape financial difficulties or ANYTHING!!!! There are so many more opportunities for character development and stuff than your boring super-human robot men.

But essentially, I like Imperial Guard because they're the bravest, ballsiest bunch of people in the entire galaxy.

Aluinn
30-11-2012, 22:23
If they ever went with these (http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/XingJun_album/Guard%20and%20cult/IGinspirationtrim-1.jpg) guys from yesteryear, we'd be gold. As is, the closest really "Imperial" IG we've really got are Vostroyans and Death Korps, which if you combined them would be the guy in the picture.

Yeah, I don't know why they abandoned that look as a general principle--either lazy design or a desire to appeal to people who liked historical uniforms, I guess. (If it was to humanize them, which I would completely understand, they could've just changed to an open-faced helmet.) I was also going to say that I thought Vostroyans were pretty close to what IG should look like, IMO, except for their crazy hats :). I do like Death Korps in the sense that they're well-sculpted models with some of the right ambience, but also realize that they're kind of World War One: The Warhammer 40K Army.

Darth Bobo
30-11-2012, 22:24
Guard is extremely cool because they can bring everything to the table at once, footsoldiers backed by armored veteran squads, vendettas and heavy tanks, all within 1500 points and all while being very relateable and they still manage to bring the cooks along :)

FashaTheDog
30-11-2012, 22:27
Gasmasks...

Gasmasks are cool. Chicks dig gasmasks.

I like the Death Korps of Krieg. In Dead Men Walking you have them fighting Necrons and you don't feel for those soulless automatons as they fight for the Emperor, but you enjoy an ever so cheery tale of the Imperial Guard defending the Imperium from foul xenos scum. I like the feel of Krieg and their world's history, but tragedy and tales of woe have always appealed to me with the important caveat that I am not a part of it.

Tomxj
30-11-2012, 22:31

you tell me...

Wyrmwood
30-11-2012, 22:42
Well, cultists and some Imperial Guard-like troopers for me...

The truth is that they are, albeit usually well trained, normal men and women; there's nothing to distinguish them from you or I and they are the closest analogues to us in 40K. Completely and hopelessly outmatched by almost everything, beset by monsters and literal daemons and yet, against all that and in spite of what they are, the Imperium has managed to endure for ten thousand years based on the strength of the common man.

Aluinn
01-12-2012, 01:33

you tell me...

See that's what I'm talkin' about! If there were plastic IG minis at a reasonable (by GW standards :)) price with this look, I would lurve the army. Or from any other manufacturer really--I see a lot of alternate heads and some greatcoat bodies, but I crave new full plastics with all the options. Hopefully that rumored new Stormtroopers/Ironcloak Vets plastic box is actually coming and will look bawss.

Oh and techno-aristocratic officers looking equally OTT Imperial, i.e. retro-futuristic but not, like, in a steampunk way.

TheDungen
01-12-2012, 10:17
Why would they goth out armour for a soldier who's life expectancy is less than half an hour? veterans needs to be more barouque i can give you that but regular guardsman should be kept simple.

Capt._Jaelinek
01-12-2012, 13:20
I like IG for most of the reasons posted earlier, but another aspect is that they are a challenging army to play well. Sure you can take 3 vendettas and people will hate you, but there is a lot of other synergy in the codex and it's fun exploring nuances of the rules.

Being able to design so many different themes that are still fairly competitive is appealing. Modeling and converting opportunities are abundant and I think diversity and the rag tag nature of the IG add to its charm.

Vaktathi
01-12-2012, 20:39
Why would they goth out armour for a soldier who's life expectancy is less than half an hour? veterans needs to be more barouque i can give you that but regular guardsman should be kept simple.Because General XYZ ordered it for the glorious retaking of world ABC 4,000 years ago and the order was never countermanded.

That and most guardsmen don't have life expectancies of half an hour. They're relatively well trained and equipped troops and it's only in the most apocalyptic of warzones that such is necessarily true.

Aluinn
01-12-2012, 20:44
Why would they goth out armour for a soldier who's life expectancy is less than half an hour? veterans needs to be more barouque i can give you that but regular guardsman should be kept simple.

Oh it's not that I think most IG grunts should be as gothed-out as SoB or anything, but they also shouldn't look so fresh-off-the-parade-ground and like clones of each other. In the pic above they aren't necessarily looking very goth, but they look weird compared to 20th/21st C. soldiers and carry the marks of the quintessential Imperial look in other ways.

And if their armor is manufactured by central Imperial institutions (e.g. on a forge world), there's some justification for it looking more baroque and impractical than anything we'd produce with our pragmatic sensibilities. The Imperium does a lot of things that make no sense (in fact that's a fairly important conceptual element of it), and that may include spending more resources making its grunts' armor look "right" than it does on the weapons they carry.

beerbeard
01-12-2012, 21:02
"Quantity has a quality all its own."

I got in to IG because the first 40k model I bought was a Rhino. Nice, but not very exciting. Then somebody bought me a Leman Russ... I have over 5K points of Guard now, and although I have other armies I always come back to my first love.

I do like the idea that guardsmen, even the really badass ones like Marbo, are just men. But what does it for me are the tanks.

Azazyll
01-12-2012, 21:12
Never understood why people wanted to play guard myself. Why someone would choose to play an awesome, mind-bending science-fiction game with one of the best backgrounds ever written, with some of the most interesting factions ever created, and then choose to play an army with as few sci-fi elements as possible confuses the hell out of me. I don't want to relate to my army because they're just like me in every way - I want to escape into a science fiction universe. In the same way, I don't understand low fantasy - go big or go home is my mantra when it comes to imagination.

I don't say this to offend (and I mean that). Clearly many people disagree, and I'm happy they found something they enjoy. Certainly seeing normal in abnormal circumstances has its moments. I just don't get it personally.

(edit: Not saying there's nothing sci-fi about guard - those are my favorite parts. I just don't get the argument of "they're like normal people today")

Retrospectus
01-12-2012, 21:15
When a dozen marines face down a terrifying enemy and win it's expected. when a dozen guardsmen do it, it's awesome.

Space marines are designed to be heroes. Guardsmen are heroes because they have to be

Vaktathi
01-12-2012, 21:28
Never understood why people wanted to play guard myself. Why someone would choose to play an awesome, mind-bending science-fiction game with one of the best backgrounds ever written, with some of the most interesting factions ever created, and then choose to play an army with as few sci-fi elements as possible confuses the hell out of me. I don't want to relate to my army because they're just like me in every way - I want to escape into a science fiction universe. In the same way, I don't understand low fantasy - go big or go home is my mantra when it comes to imagination.

I don't say this to offend (and I mean that). Clearly many people disagree, and I'm happy they found something they enjoy. Certainly seeing normal in abnormal circumstances has its moments. I just don't get it personally.

(edit: Not saying there's nothing sci-fi about guard - those are my favorite parts. I just don't get the argument of "they're like normal people today")There's a lot of different stuff to the IG, I really like my gothic WW1-in-space overly grimdark Krieg troopers and their steampunky tanks :p

Wyrmwood
01-12-2012, 21:43
Having a relatively grounded concept makes all of the fantastic science fiction and other mythological elements seem even more grandiose. :)

Tomxj
01-12-2012, 23:12
Having a relatively grounded concept makes all of the fantastic science fiction and other mythological elements seem even more grandiose. :)

This.

@vaktahti - I alway thought that picture was of the Moderatus 158959

Hooter Hunter
01-12-2012, 23:50
I agree with much of what many before me have said. Versatility, big honkin tanks, big honkin cannons, lots of troops, Ogryns, Rattlings, big honkin tanks, wave after wave for troops, and did I mention BIG HONKIN TANKS!

Besides all that its the fluff. Lets face it there is only so much you can do with the other races. If ya go SM its either Codex,DA, SW, BA, GK. Eldar and DE are variants on a theme and the history is pretty much set in stone. Bugs? Ya rellay cant build character there or with Necrons or SoB. Orks have this flexability of character, but Hey I like humans.

With all the worlds out there ya can just pick or make up one of yer own. Paint them a color scheme that is yours and only yours. Customize away. Make up any background story ya want. Its cool.

Shnerg
02-12-2012, 02:15
Because of the human factor.

Would you relate more to Joe Bloggs with a mediocre weapon or Mike Tyson holding a rocket launcher?

Just like people, they come in all forms too.

Because they are people.

-Shnerg (the Human Lover)

AngryAngel
03-12-2012, 03:26
Ok here is why they are so cool. In a universe filled with guns, they are the army who has special rule gun basically. So if you like war, and you like destroying your enemies, with guns, why not take the army of gun and lots of them ?

Me I love guns, go guard, and long live the gun.

Did I mention guns ?

FashaTheDog
03-12-2012, 04:19
Ok here is why they are so cool. In a universe filled with guns, they are the army who has special rule gun basically. So if you like war, and you like destroying your enemies, with guns, why not take the army of gun and lots of them ?

Me I love guns, go guard, and long live the gun.

Did I mention guns ?

You forgot to mention guns.