PDA

View Full Version : Best plastic kits in the range?

loveless
30-11-2012, 15:28
Howdy folks,

I'm a terrible hobby butterfly and things consistently catch my attention. So, with the new Hobbit stuff coming out, I've swung back around to wanting to work on my Middle Earth stuff. I was wondering opinions of the plastics.

I've currently got Mirkwood/Lothlorien and adore the Galadhrim models. Easily some of my favorites from the ME range, and possibly GW in general. The Wood Elves...well...less good. I'm actually hoping they get redone in the coming years as the Hobbit movies progress.

I'm also fond of the Easterlings and the Morgul Knights.

So, I was wondering, good LotR fans - what are some of your favorite plastic kits in the range?

Karak Norn Clansman
30-11-2012, 16:01
I have experience with most Lotr plastic kits, but for most of them it was a while ago.

The Galadhrim models are good, but are still inferior to the metal predecessors. The Wood Elves sourly need a replacement come the Hobbit. The warriors of the Last Alliance are good, as is the Minas Tirith soldiers and I think also the Knights of Dol Amroth, the Morgul knights (whom I've only seen on pictures) and the Easterlings are fine. The Uruk-hai Scouts are fine as well, and the same might be said for the Umbar pirates. The Dwarves are decent, as is the Rohirrim, Haradrim, Moria Goblins, Mordor Orcs and Isengard Uruk-hai.

The worst kits are the Wood Elves and that blasted joke of an Ent. The best kits include the Rangers of Middle-Earth and Easterlings (primarily because of their acceptable standard next to the metals and their quivers). For some reason, GW didn't release Hobbits or Noldor Elf Cavalry in plastic, but I hope they'll get around to that this time.

librerian_samae
30-11-2012, 17:12
Easterlings (mounted and on foot), dwarf rangers, corsairs of umbar, galhadrim knights and morgul knights for me.

Although blowing all these out the water for me would be 2nd age elves if they were in their own box.

To me all these kits share a really nice strong aesthetic 'direction' and 'feel' with out being too cluttered or complicated they capture their essence perfectly in a streamlined simplistic way.

Whitwort Stormbringer
30-11-2012, 17:16
I really like the Mordor orc set, partially because of the fact that many of the hands or arms are separate they are easily converted which can't be said of many of the single-piece LotR plastics.

I'll also second Dwarf Rangers and third Easterlings. Rangers of Middle Earth look good but I don't own any so I don't know for sure.

Karak Norn Clansman
30-11-2012, 17:49
I forgot to mention the Dwarf Rangers, because as a plastic kit it still surprise me that it was released. Yes, Dwarf Rangers in every fantasy world have gotten their travelling, hooded, cloaked and wilderness-wandering nature from the Hobbit dwarves, but I'd have thought it more likely for them to come as metal, especially since a full 2nd age Noldor Elf box hadn't been released. The Dwarf Rangers are better miniatures than the warriors, and conforms more to how I imagine Thorin's company than Weta Workshop's version.

Kronos
30-11-2012, 23:39
The morgul knights are a very nice kit, only problem with them is just how delicate the lances are and also the difficuly i had removing the helmets (in hind sight I should have used a craft tool rather than a clipper).

The mordor orcs are a very basic kit but there is a a lot of variety so I quite like them, but the mordor troll has to be the best kit they made imo. With a little conversion work the kit is almnost endless, I've made a Nazgul themed Troll captain, Troll Berzerkers, Troll archer, and currently working on a two headed stone troll for a goblin town Goblin Horde.

Edit: forgot to mention the plastic army of the dead, very good kit too, not only well detailed, but do work well doubling as men from Carn Dum, Spectres, Wights and many more that I'm failing to think of.

ForgottenLore
01-12-2012, 00:03
I've made a Nazgul themed Troll captain, Troll Berzerkers, Troll archer, and currently working on a two headed stone troll for a goblin town Goblin Horde.

Post some pics. I would love to see some of those.

decker_cky
01-12-2012, 02:10
I really like the Haradrim models (on foot and mounted).

The moria goblins are nice too - simple models that paint up really well. I feel they stood the test of time nicely, and were worth using

I like the rohan miniatures a lot too - they really capture the look and feel (though their rules leave something to be desired). I find that the gondor stuff comparatively has less personality than the rohan stuff.

Uruk-hai are great too, though they suffer from plastic pikes so you have to be careful with them. Two towers starter really had great miniatures in it (Rohan vs Isengard).

The Marshel
01-12-2012, 12:25
I love the haradrim raiders kit. Nice looking weapons, horse and riders in there.

Morgul knights kit is nice too, and I'm quite fond of the easterling kit (but that might just be biased as i really like easterlings)

sasheep
01-12-2012, 19:31
The top kits for me would be the Dwarf rangers, Haradrim soldiers and cavalry models and the Galadhrim soldiers and cavalry. They have a lot of character and a fair bit of detail in all the kits. To be honest though there are not many of the plastic sets that I dislike (I don't even mind the wood elves) and a lot of them have stood the test of time (goblins, the last alliance models and the Rohirrim).

Kronos
02-12-2012, 23:38
Post some pics. I would love to see some of those.

Will do within the next two days, though only got one troll to take pics of, the two headed one which will be in a Goblin town log, the others have new homes. Oh and another point from me to the mordor troll kit; bits, been able to make a siege bow, two sets of war drums for my goblins and of course those elven heads, human heads just to add to captains and champions.

Karak Norn Clansman
03-12-2012, 05:59
A Lotr kit with lots of bitz? I thought it was impossible! :D

I have always wanted some bits included on the sprues.

The Marshel
03-12-2012, 06:05
it's designed to build a mordor troll or a mordor troll drummer or an isenguard troll and include a few alt weapons and heads and similar. Now that someone has reminded me of it, +1 to the plastic troll, its a great little bit of LOTR plastic

brain_dead_1st
03-12-2012, 16:34
Mordor troll is a great model indeed but I think that the serpent riders are the best models until I saw the new elven knights who are FIT

Spiney Norman
05-12-2012, 22:35
Mordor troll is a great model indeed but I think that the serpent riders are the best models until I saw the new elven knights who are FIT

Did I miss the release of plastic serpent riders? Last thing I knew, they were metal, and an absolute b**** to assemble

I think my favourite plastic kit has to be the easterling Kataphrakts, the extra parts that enabled you to make the command models were sheer genius and really should be replicated for every kit they make from here on in (its a shame that didn't happen for the hunter Orc war riders, but it looks like the rivendell knights will at least get captain upgrade pieces).

The Galadhrim knights were really nice as well, but from a wotr point of view, would it have killed them to stick an arm with a horn on the sprue? I think what gave it to the Kataphrakts were the extra little flourishes that made the kit truly great, like the dead Easterlings for example, and the fact that the captain upgrade parts were also compatible with the infantry kit, it really was the kit that kept on giving.

Honourable mention goes to the Uruk Hai scouts, they were brilliantly executed

The worst plastic kit is probably the Mordor orcs, I really cannot stand them, especially when you stand them next to the new hunter orcs which are an infinitely greater improvement.

Spider-pope
05-12-2012, 23:23
Hands down it's the Thorin's Company sprue from "Escape from Goblin Town". The detail they've captured has to be seen to be believed, its exquisite. I hope GW follows the same path as it is with it's Fellowship sprue and one day releases it separately, because everyone with a love for miniatures should own it.

Spiney Norman
06-12-2012, 05:58
Hands down it's the Thorin's Company sprue from "Escape from Goblin Town". The detail they've captured has to be seen to be believed, its exquisite. I hope GW follows the same path as it is with it's Fellowship sprue and one day releases it separately, because everyone with a love for miniatures should own it.

Sadly I think we're more likely to get a finecast Thorin's company, priced at about 150 if the WC set is anything to go by...