PDA

View Full Version : Why do we love Wargaming?

Greendragon
30-11-2012, 17:22
Thought I'd share this article from my websites December Newsletter with the masses, its a really great article by a psychology graduate who answers the question - Why do we love Wargaming? Comments appreciated, enjoy the read! :)

Article Here (http://greendragonhobbies.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=fanfic&thread=36&page=1)

Karak Norn Clansman
30-11-2012, 18:35
I'll probably take a look at it later, but for me it's the combination of (often solitary) craftsman work - with modelling, converting, sculpting and painting - and the historical or fictionary backstories as well as the socializing of gaming and tournament playing. It's a way to be with your friends and to make friends. It's also a way to socialize with other generations on common ground. The structure of wargaming might also appeal to my persona, but by and large this hobby contains a multitude of aspects that makes it endure the years, and it can easily last a lifetime with the natural pauses everyone takes.

Scaryscarymushroom
30-11-2012, 21:05
Thanks for sharing.

Escapism definitely plays a huge role for me, but I also see painting as a way to challenge myself creatively. I spend most of my hobby time reading new rulebooks and painting minis. (and posting on Warseer. ;))

Occasionally I will play. I have always liked involving games of strategy with a definitive winner clearly based on who made the better decisions. Competing in a 'battle-of-the-wits' if you will. Some wargames are much better than others for that, though. 40k isn't my favorite because it's a little bit like playing Dominion or virtual poker, in the sense that a player's best decision almost never changes because of something his opponent did.

Greendragon
30-11-2012, 21:20
Totally agree! Thats why I play LOTR first, followed by WHFB then the occasional 40K game. Thanks for the comments, good intelligent thread we have going :).

jack da greenskin
30-11-2012, 22:49
Because I can spend hours, at home, on my own watching tv and fuelling something imaginative and creative, I can then take those things out, meet some similarly geeky people, push toy soldiers round and either simulate a military engagement, which I love, or the more "abstract" systems, like malifaux or warmachine, carefully lay plans and pull of combos, like a fun geeky type of chess.

I honestly would struggle to come up with something I'd prefer to do with my time.

Karak Norn Clansman
01-12-2012, 06:49
I agree with the points of the article, it's well put together and grounded firmly in our nature.

Because I can spend hours, at home, on my own watching tv and fuelling something imaginative and creative, I can then take those things out, meet some similarly geeky people, push toy soldiers round and either simulate a military engagement, which I love, or the more "abstract" systems, like malifaux or warmachine, carefully lay plans and pull of combos, like a fun geeky type of chess.

I honestly would struggle to come up with something I'd prefer [more] to do with my time.

Not even cavorting with a dozen harem ladies? :D

Bagge
01-12-2012, 16:05
I like how it's a hobby that is both solitary, relaxing and creative (painting and modelling) as well as social and exciting (playing games). Also, I have been fascinated with scale models and miniatures since I was a kid, so if I didn't collect Warhammer miniatures I would probably be into millitary scale models or model railways or something to that effect.

The bearded one
01-12-2012, 17:37
I'd say wargaming is a bit paradoxical when it comes to 'escapism'. On the one hand we indulge ourselves in fictional worlds and imaginary races for our fun, but on the other hand social contact with a community of fellowplayers is integral to playing it. You might 'escape' from the real world into fantasy worlds, but to do so you have to get into contact with a large group of likeminded people.

Karak Norn Clansman
01-12-2012, 17:53
I'd say wargaming is a bit paradoxical when it comes to 'escapism'. On the one hand we indulge ourselves in fictional worlds and imaginary races for our fun, but on the other hand social contact with a community of fellowplayers is integral to playing it. You might 'escape' from the real world into fantasy worlds, but to do so you have to get into contact with a large group of likeminded people.

That probably makes wargaming one of the soundest outlets for escapism, despite the solitary aspects of it. Not that all the craftsman work need be done in company, although I prefer to have hobby group workshops.

duffybear1988
01-12-2012, 22:36
I do it because it gives me a legitimate reason to moan at something crappy :D

The Decayed
03-12-2012, 17:52
Copied from the text you linked to:
There is no other society I would rather be a part of. Unless, of course, you are a dwarf, in which case my malicious and powerful Queek Headtaker , and all his Skaven minions, will be after you!

This sums up the gaming part for me.
I can really hate my best friend for whatever imaginary reason I come up with at the moment, and not mean a single word of it.
1 played game spawns so much random stuff to talk about for days...

The creative part of the collecting and building/converting is just because I like to interact with whatever I spend my time on.
I hate sitting on a couch, watching TV all night.
Computergames are better, for you can decide where the main character is going and what he's doing.
Building my own army is still even better than that, because I can decide who/what the main character is, where he came from, make him look exactly like i want him to, etc...

The wargaming community with it's partly fixed background helps translating that to other people.
An imaginary friend is hard to explain, the characters we build are all put together in the same background fantasy world, so we can share ideas, and easily understand what someone else's character is.
For as much fun I can have all alone, converting or painting some model, it wouldn't almost be half as much fun if no one else would ever understand what it was.

lanrak
03-12-2012, 19:55
War gaming is a wide and diverse hobby.
There are such a wide variety and intensity of activities , practicaly everyone can find a part of the wargaming hobby they enjoy...
From just playing chess , painting a minature or a flat.Reading up historical battles or writing their own fictional encounters and campains...
Quiet escapism to re -charge and recover ...to social interaction that gets you fired up and 'in the zone'.

Some people think war gaming starts and ends with GW products.

This is just a tiny fraction of the massive great hobby.
A sub set of war gaming, table top minature gaming.
A subset of T.T.M.G ,fictional T.T.M.G.
A subset of fictional T.T.M.G , high fantasy and sci fantasy.
A subset of these game types supplied by one company out of 100s...