PDA

View Full Version : Warmaster Scale and Questions from the FNG

Gerod253
30-11-2012, 18:56
Greetings,

A friend of mine is going to be getting into Warmaster in a few months and I'm planning on joining him as well as trying to get other friends into that scale for fantasy and historical. I do have a few questions, however, before I invest.

Can WM work with 6mm figures instead of 10mm? After looking around I find that I like the smaller scale for the grand visual effect. (Turns out that it can. This is good.)

Are the WM Ancients rules still available somewhere? Or should i start trolling eBay? (Found some on Amazon.)

What sized bases are used for the game? (It looks like people are using 20mm by 40mm bases. Is this accurate?)

Can an English Civil War period army also be made to represent an Empire force? (I managed to look at a revised version of the Warmaster Empire list. Yes, I could manage this without too much trouble.)

Gerod253
02-12-2012, 09:06
A few more questions.

How do the various armies play? I'm looking for information mostly on High Elves, Bretonnia and the Empire.

Could I play Empire without a lot of magic or the special units such as the war altar? I want to use a lot of infantry, both shooting and melee, with some cavalry support. Basically, similur to the style of a historical army.

How do the men at arms and bowmen fit into a bretonnian army? Are they simply cannon fodder or can they have their place on the force along with the knights? Also, anyone know of a good source for a trebuchet?

zoggin-eck
02-12-2012, 09:49
Makes no difference what scale you use. I've seen 2mm models (and copied the idea myself!) used for it. You could just use bases, for all the rules care (probably a good idea when learning the rules and deciding on what armies to play).

Yes, it's 40x20mm bases for everything (except the Bretonnian trebuchet), which are easy to come by from other companies, if you don't use GW figures.

I can't give too much advice as to playing, since I haven't in years (and didn't get many games at the time :() but I know cavalry are quite powerful in the Fantasy version, and the focus is on units rather than special choices and magic, so I'm sure you'd be fine.

Gerod253
04-12-2012, 08:21
Well, I'm in the process of putting a group together for Warmaster and Warmaster Ancients. Besides myself there is one old hand picking the game back up, and up to three totally new players that might join us. Any players in the Bay Area of California?

I decided to go with Bretonnia because of the Knights and because I really like their Men-at-Arms figures. Going to be using them for Normons in Ancients as well so double points. :)

Ordered the following,
1, Characters
4, Men-at-Arms
3, Knights
3, Mounted Squires
2, Archers

Any suggestions of a good place to get a Treb or three? I'm thinking that next I want to get one more blister of Squires then just start adding Men-at-Arms and Knights as I see fit. Any other suggestions?

Gerod253
07-12-2012, 07:26
Well, my Warmaster book finally arrived. Strangely, however, it would seem that there is no list for the beret's. I know that their current points values are available on GW's site, but I was wondering if there was more information out there?

It isn't a big deal. I had already planned on buying a second army anyway, maybe empire or high elves. I was just a little surprised. Anyone have experience with playing empire? What are they like?

Spectrar Ghost
07-12-2012, 13:38
Bret's are in the Warmaster Armies supplement, available as a pdf from gw's site here (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2350286a_m1330072_Warmaster_Armies.pdf).