PDA

View Full Version : DKoK, imp guard list questions???

mlessor
01-12-2012, 03:55
Hey everyone, I'm new here and had a few questions. I have played fantasy and 40k for years and getting back into 40k. I am planning on selling a huge space marines lot and dwarfs to help pay for my new army. I really wanna do imperial guard but after seeing the DKoK models I'm hooked. What are some thoughts on using them as my regular imp g codex guys, and what would be my first buys? I would use chimera, etc. only infantry from FW.

Just overall thoughts on imp g, suggestions if I should go with or stay away from death korp, and if I don't o with them, mixing Cadian and catachan bad?

I know a lot of questions anything will be great.

Starchild
01-12-2012, 04:31
My suggestion is to use the Death Korp as your infantry, but use the standard IG army list and vehicles. The Siege army list is rather immobile and a bit boring to play since it relies on ordnance and barrages almost to the exclusion of everything else.

This way you can also make good use of Valkyries for example, which the Siege list has no access to.

Vaktathi
01-12-2012, 09:31
Hey everyone, I'm new here and had a few questions. I have played fantasy and 40k for years and getting back into 40k. I am planning on selling a huge space marines lot and dwarfs to help pay for my new army. I really wanna do imperial guard but after seeing the DKoK models I'm hooked. What are some thoughts on using them as my regular imp g codex guys, and what would be my first buys? I would use chimera, etc. only infantry from FW.

Just overall thoughts on imp g, suggestions if I should go with or stay away from death korp, and if I don't o with them, mixing Cadian and catachan bad?

I know a lot of questions anything will be great.Do you want to make an army that is reflect of the DKoK background, or just use the cool models? If you want to keep if fairly close to the DKoK fluff, then no chimeras, flyers, marbo, penal legion, veterans, ogryn, etc. and I'd advise your first purchase to be lots of infantry squads and heavy weapons. If you just want to use the models and don't care so much about the background, then there's a whole lot of places you can go and would really depend more on the type of army build you are going for.

Though either way really starting with a few infantry squads and some heavy weapons is never a bad idea.

Also keep in mind DKoK models are expensive and a greater amount of effort to build and paint than plastic models, but well worth it if you put in the effort.

Capt._Jaelinek
01-12-2012, 14:28
The IG fluff implies that regiments, squads and even individuals often get separated or stranded from their original group and absorbed into the next one they stumble into Mixing and matching is certainly viable from a rules and fluff perspective, but getting it to look good on the tabletop might be a challenge.

If you like certain models don't feel that you 'have' to take all of one thing. Mix it up! Flexibility is a nice IG trait.

For a starting army buy the codex, build a 1000pt list you like and then buy the models you like to fit the list.

mlessor
01-12-2012, 14:31
Ya I like the models and fluff, but I'm going to alter it if I do DKoK and use the imp g codex, so ill use the tanks Valkyrie and sentinels, just have all infantry and hws be DKoK. And about building I've read a lot about wash first break easy etc, should this be a big concern, is citadel finecast no also resin?

But thank you both for the response, I'm still torn, DKoK or Cadian and catachan, maybe all of em I'm a motley Cre! Would that work lol, I feel like say having vostroyans and catachans with snow and jungle around would be hard to explain lol. Also, metal models are eh in my book.

Thanks

mlessor
01-12-2012, 14:33
Thanks or that, answered a question I just posted as you were posting!

And ya getting them to look right will be a challenge, does anyone have any pics of a good Army that is a mixed regiment like DKoK catachan and Cadian or something??

Thanks

drear
01-12-2012, 15:36
you can have both! use the main force as guardsmen and tanks and sentinals etc..and just ally into dkok for some extra cool units, like the cyclops or bombard.

AndrewGPaul
01-12-2012, 23:52
The army list in Imperial Armour Volume 5 is specifically a Death Korps of Krieg Siege Regiment. We know from other sources that there are Death Korps armoured regiments, so it doesn't seem beyond possibility that you could have a normal infantry or mechanised infantry regiment.

Vaktathi
02-12-2012, 01:26
Basically Krieg does field everything but airborne units, (though you can always say such is just Imperial Navy air support and some sort of attached special forces or whatnot), it's just that Siege regiments are their most commonly raised regiment type.

Disposable Hero
02-12-2012, 21:44
I use DKoK Guardsmen as veterans and DKoK Grenadiers as stormtroopers. Very handy with the hotshot lasguns and such.

My army is airborne in 2 Vendetta's, and the stormtroopers deepstrike in with airborne assault. I have an allied contigency of Grey Knights, with a Stormraven. I just love the airborne theme, was in an airmobile brigade myself for 4 years.

About DKoK not being airborne, I read one of the novels with DKoK against necrons with DKoK in Valks?

Vaktathi
02-12-2012, 22:10
Dead men walking didn't have DKoK in valks IIRC, though Valks were mentioned, but IA:V specifically mentions the DKoK do not field airborne units.

Morhgoz
02-12-2012, 22:45
I would use Siege -list as Primary and allied continent from standard IG list. This could represent Dead men walking -theme very well...

FashaTheDog
02-12-2012, 23:20
I didn't see any mention of a specific type of aircraft in Dead Men Walking in my quick flip through just now, but the Grenadier squads did use airborne transport to quickly search the hive for a specific target due to the situation, but it is not standard Krieg practice from other fluff sources.

Now as to using Krieg models with the regular Codex, I see no problem with that as well as having a Krieg army that can utilize their own army list as well. First thing to look at is where the two lists diverge. The Krieg list lacks psykers, aircraft, Chimera, abhumans, named characters, anti-air, SPGs (including missile platforms), missile launchers anywhere, Sentinels, Penal Legion, or heavy weapons in squads (except company command, which is an autocannon or heavy bolter codex choice). The Veterans are also very different, having carapace armor, shotguns, and only melta bombs for the sergeant, although a mole mortar and/or a demo charge are upgrades. The list has gun carriages for the earthshaker cannon and medusa siege gun, which make them immobile artillery units, unless towed by a Trojan, instead of vehicles, but you could easily use the carriage and crew on a roughly Chimera sized base to count as the SPG Guard Codex versions. The Elites section also has two similarly immobile light artillery units, Heavy Mortar and Thudd Gun, that are towed by Centaurs and a regular artillery unit, the Rapier. Of the three, you could actually use the Heavy Mortars and their crew, again on a Chimera sized base, to represent Griffins. If you add Forgeworld units in then you can use all five exactly as is, but then why not go full hog and run the Krieg list, quiaff? I have 1,400 points for Krieg with more to come, of which there are three Cyclops and one Hades that I cannot put in my regular Guard army, the Heavy Mortars and Medusa carriages are simply counts as Griffins and Medusa SPGs.

Regarding Krieg armies being immobile, they certainly can be, but with WS4 and pseudo-stubborn, you can advance your infantry into assault against a number of foes relying on weight of numbers and not going anywhere to hold the line. The tactic relies most often relies upon doing this to swamp foes so that they either cannot claim and objective or are too far once they finish your men off to get there in time. Adding Deathriders in for a hard hitting unit to slam into bogged down combats can work well with this. As you can have up to five Deathrider units, three Fast Attack and two HQ Command ones, you could potentially theme your list as an advanced scout element if you wanted and be very mobile. Even if you don't, holding your artillery units in back bubble wrapped by combined squads can be tied in with some mopre mobile elements to act as distraction, objective grabbing, flanking, reactionary, or whatever the situation calls for. Worth considering.