PDA

View Full Version : Tau 'Samura/Ronini' Project Thread

brokenbayonet
01-12-2012, 12:17
Very early days at the moment but have started a Tau 'Samurai/Ronin' project thread on my blog:

http://wargamerama.wordpress.com/category/wargaming/40k/

Whilst certainly not an original idea (to make Tau look like Samurai) but here's my take on it. Will post updates as soon as I can. Please let me know what you think so far.

Cheers,
Brokenbayonet

Yeri
01-12-2012, 13:58
interesting, I'm working on a samurai orks army at the moment, and so as a fellow samurai fan I salute your effort. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.

brokenbayonet
01-12-2012, 14:36
interesting, I'm working on a samurai orks army at the moment.

Brilliant, I love it. Samurai Orks will look fantastic! Be sure to post pictures or send me a link in the future Yeri. P.s Liking the look of your Crawlers on your blog. Heavy duty stuff indeed!

Any race could be 'Samuri-ed' up with a few minor alterations. As mentioned in my (fledgling blog) as long as the essence or flavour of the Samurai/Bushi are captured then job done! You don't have to go to painstaking lengths to recreate Samurai armour, but by all means do it if you have the time. Nobody is going to (I hope not) have a go at you because something doesn't look historically correct. This is a Sci-fi game where anything goes. Orks, Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Eldar, etc could get the treatment...hmm, not sure about Tyranids though :0)

Yeri
01-12-2012, 15:02
A link? sure: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/474181.page I'm also thinking of hosting it over here too.

brokenbayonet
01-12-2012, 15:45
Damyio Nobzunaga's boyz look great. Liking the back story too. Like you, I tried to sculpt my first Samurai armour out of green stuff but it ended up looking like the Tau were wearing puffer jackets! For your Orks though it works a treat. Will keep my eye on your blog too :0)

It may be a good idea to host your blog on Warseer as not sure how kindly they'll take the link to a rival forum.

Cheers,
BB

Stonerhino
01-12-2012, 19:00
The Fire Warrior's armor already plays the part of "Samuai" decendants rather well. I would just add a little overt classic visual stuff. Like the addition of backbanners, maybe change their helmets to look like jingasa and make bonding kifes look like wakizashi/tanto. Then go nuts with post modern imagary on the Crisis suits, demon faced great helms ect.

A quik paint of what I mean with the Fire Warriors.

Yeri
02-12-2012, 12:46
Agreed, fire warriors would make great Ashigaru. The battle suit could be the samurai proper. Have you decided on a paint scheme yet? Because if not I recommend Shogun Total War 2 as a good place to shop around for color schemes for samurai.

brokenbayonet
02-12-2012, 15:16
The Fire Warrior's armor already plays the part of "Samuai" decendants rather well. I would just add a little overt classic visual stuff. Like the addition of backbanners, maybe change their helmets to look like jingasa and make bonding kifes look like wakizashi/tanto. Then go nuts with post modern imagary on the Crisis suits, demon faced great helms ect.

A quik paint of what I mean with the Fire Warriors.

Agree with what you say StoneRhino and will be making one more unit of Fire Warriors as Ashigaru to go with the 'Samurai'. Whilst GW seem to have been influenced by Samurai imagery when designing the Tau models I could simply (as you mention) just add a few subtle hints here and there. However, I felt that I wanted to add an individual touch to make my models stand out from the hundreds of Tau out there already. Hence the over exaggerated shoulder armour. Old Tv series Dynasty eat your heart out!

No sooner than you mention a daemon helmeted Crisis suit, he's already on the way... In my next post my converted Shas'o will make an appearance.

Yeri, good idea regarding Total War and paint schemes. I'm concentrating on assembling the force first and foremost, then I'll delve into colour schemes and so forth. Whilst I don't own Shogun Total War 2 I'll take a browse through the Samurai books I have, online reference and the Total War website, forums for family crests and colour schemes, P.s the new home of your Samurai Orks in the Xenos section works a treat. I may join you there soon too.

Oh, I've now updated my blog to show the helmeted 'Samurai' Till the next update thanks all for comments and encouragement so far.
BB

Stonerhino
02-12-2012, 18:05
Use the Oda Clan color/crest. Oda Nobanaga's, tactics with firearms at the battle of Nagashino is hailed as Japan's first modern battle. So its fitting because of the Tau dependancy on shooting.

Anyways have fun.

OgreBattle
03-12-2012, 09:53
interesting, I'm working on a samurai orks army at the moment, and so as a fellow samurai fan I salute your effort. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.

Awesome. A 'uge Katana would be great to see.

Here's an inspiration for big gunz/lootas

http://twenty2wo.com/blog-images/utagawa_kuniyoshi_03.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Kuniyoshi_Utagawa,_The_actor_17.jpg

Woodblock prints of samurai with giant guns. A lot of them are already grotesque in an orky way

brokenbayonet
25-01-2013, 22:31
Just before Christmas I transferred my Wordpress blog over to good ol Warseer. Here's the link

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?360392-Samurai-Tau-Project

Cheers,
BB