PDA

View Full Version : 2400 Vampires: New(ish) to VC/WHFB

AndrewgeddoN
04-12-2012, 05:40
Howdy all! So like the title says, I'm fairly new to Fantasy, and this is my first crack and a VC list. Not really a tournament player, just wanting to play something that can hold it's own. I don't need to sweep my friends every game, but I don't want my list to be a push over either. Here's what I cam up with:

Lord

Vampire Lord, Lvl 3 (Death), Shield, Sword of Strife, Armour of Destiny, Aura of Dark Majesty, Beguile, Red Fury, on Abyssal Terror; 593

Heroe

Necromancer, Lvl 2 (Vampire), Biting Blade, Talisman of Endurance; 160

Core

50 Zombies, Standard Bearer; 152

49 Zombies, Standard Bearer; 152

49 Skeleton Warriors, full command, Screaming Banner; 300

Special

3 Spirit Host, 135

3 Spirit Host, 135

3 Spirit Host, 135

4 Vargheist, 184

Rare

Terrorgeist

Terrorgeist

Total 2399

Basic idea was that zombies / skeletons / spirit hosts hold up units while the Vamp Lord flies around with the Terrorgiests, charging flanks, screaming into combat, causing trouble. Vampire Lord on Death magic which helps lower leadership, or takes advantage of Aura of Dark Majesty, Necro hangs with Skeltons or Zombies, growing the unit(s) all the while. Vargheists were just kinda tossed in there, not sure if I would be better off with Crypt Horrors/Black Nights/Hexwraiths instead, or maybe getting another Necro.

I know Abyssal Terrors aren't very popular, but I figured it was the best option for giving my Vamp Lord the mobility he would need while keeping points free for Vampire Powers.

Anyway, let me know what you think, even if you think I'm way off my rocker, heh.

Thanks!

Kayosiv
04-12-2012, 06:25
The Abyssal Terror is the worst mount in the entire game without exception. Take a nightmare instead.

How are 49 and 50 zombies the same number of points?

m1acca1551
04-12-2012, 06:56
Tips for beginners...

A vampire lord kitted out for CC should be in that role and that role alone, he already has a massive bullseye on him and flying him around will only attract every spell, arty round and pebble. If you intend him to be you main caster, he NEEDS lore of vampires... you cant have your raising being left to a mere level 2 = bad joo-joo

I'd take a level 3 necro and leave your lord as a shredder.

Necros shouldnt have magic weapons, give them a scroll or a book of arkhan, the scroll can very useful to stop that spell that will insta fry your lord.

3x3 spirit hosts?????!!!!! wow you really dont want your opponent moving.... my issue would be that you have tied up 405 points for re-directors that are really weak CC wise, i'd take 3 invidual units and call it a day, this frees up 270 pointys of joy to be spent on... well what ever.

A unit of 3-4 wraiths... just saying :P also allows you to afford a level 3 and kit him out a little.

vargheists... run as 3, 4 becomes unwieldy very fast as you can quite often not fit the unit where you need them and in some cases, you have unit sitting by himself unable to contribute to the fight.

2 gheists ouch... :) these guys are fun please dont expect to many people to be happy unless you run in an ultra-competitive setting.

Any questions please ask, happy to be able to help :)

A vampire lord kitted out for CC should be in that role and that role alone, he already has a massive bullseye on him and flying him around will only attract every spell, arty round and pebble. If you intend him to be you main caster, he NEEDS lore of vampires... you cant have your raising being left to a mere level 2 = bad joo-joo

He also HAS to have lore of Vampires, since he's the General.

Otherwise I don't think it's such a bad list. Not optimal but neither pushover. Your flying Vampire can be a nasty surprise, and Abyssal Terror (with Thunderstomp and whatnot) can hold it's own against regular infantry. I do agree that 3 single Spirit Hosts could well serve you better, but it might be worth the experiment to try them as larger units.

Korpacz
04-12-2012, 20:15
Howdy all! So like the title says, I'm fairly new to Fantasy, and this is my first crack and a VC list. Not really a tournament player, just wanting to play something that can hold it's own. I don't need to sweep my friends every game, but I don't want my list to be a push over either. Here's what I cam up with:

Lord

Vampire Lord, Lvl 3 (Death), Shield, Sword of Strife, Armour of Destiny, Aura of Dark Majesty, Beguile, Red Fury, on Abyssal Terror; 593
As mentioned earlier. Your general must take lore of the vampires, no exception. The abyssal terror dies so quickly to just about anything and it doesn't even do much damage. But if you like the model and/or the rules I strongly suggest you play it. I would recommend a level 1 vampire riding a dragon with nightshroud, redfury, quickblood and sword of strife - a potential of 14 attacks from your vampire +the dragons 6 and another 6 from thunderstomp. good times!

Heroe

Necromancer, Lvl 2 (Vampire), Biting Blade, Talisman of Endurance; 160
What is he going to do with the biting blade? Arcane magic items are some of the best in the game, definitely give this guy a dispel scroll. maybe even take a second level 2 necro with the channeling staff to help spam invocation and get the spells you want.

Core

50 Zombies, Standard Bearer; 152

49 Zombies, Standard Bearer; 152

49 Skeleton Warriors, full command, Screaming Banner; 300
I'm pretty sure skeletons cost 2x as much as zombies and not 2x as good. Since you already have 2 huge tarpits, you might want to consider getting a smaller 30man block of crypt ghouls who will do a lot more damage than WS2 skeletons

Special

3 Spirit Host, 135

3 Spirit Host, 135

3 Spirit Host, 135
Someone already mentioned, you don't need to run spirit hosts in packs of 3 they do the exact same thing as 1 on its own

4 Vargheist, 184
If you're not partial to vargheists you may want to consider hexwraiths for 2 reasons, 1. since they vanguard your opponent will have to focus on figuring out how to deal with them before they run through his guys and get into his back line because once that happens with a unit or two of hexwraiths he's in huge trouble, and 2. because your opponent will be so focused on dealing with the hexwraiths it will buy your lord and terrorgheists time to move up and get into position.

Rare

Terrorgeist

Terrorgeist
Very solid combo with the blocks of zombies

Total 2399

Basic idea was that zombies / skeletons / spirit hosts hold up units while the Vamp Lord flies around with the Terrorgiests, charging flanks, screaming into combat, causing trouble. Vampire Lord on Death magic which helps lower leadership, or takes advantage of Aura of Dark Majesty, Necro hangs with Skeltons or Zombies, growing the unit(s) all the while. Vargheists were just kinda tossed in there, not sure if I would be better off with Crypt Horrors/Black Nights/Hexwraiths instead, or maybe getting another Necro.

I know Abyssal Terrors aren't very popular, but I figured it was the best option for giving my Vamp Lord the mobility he would need while keeping points free for Vampire Powers.

Anyway, let me know what you think, even if you think I'm way off my rocker, heh.

Thanks!

If you're just playing with friends, I think you're going to have the list to beat. This list actually inspired me to try a modified version of it:

vampire lord lvl 1 + dragon = 600
necro level 2 = 150
necro level 2 = 150

40 zombies
40 zombies
crypt ghouls/dire wolvees
total 625

2x 5 hexwraiths
3x spirit hosts

2x terrorgheists w/ upgrads

Comes out to around 2,500pts