PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Skull Fortress - Ultimate 40K Vehicle Concept

Griefbringer
04-12-2012, 19:56
It is widely known that in the 40K setting, skulls are an essential part of vehicle decoration for any serious vehicle crew (like furry dice these days). The more and bigger the better. Wouldn't the logical conclusion of this be a vehicle that is actually built to be little more than a gigantic skull?

It seems to be quite easy to get a life-sized plastic skull decoration for decent price these days, to use as a conversion basis. Of course it would need to have some locomotion added, either in the form of hige wheels, massive tracks or big legs (defiler-style) added to propel it around. Or just mount it on a big flying base and claim that it has an anti-gravity engine inside. Then bolt in sufficiently large guns in various places, and you have your very own MSF (Mobile Skull Fortress) ready to roam around the grimdark apocalyptic battlefields of the far future, ready to punish the vile enemies.

Of course additional decoration could be added to taste: spikes, chains, smaller skulls, flags, cupola, sword-waving commander ("Drive closer so I can hit them!"), crucified heretics, purity seals, sacrificial altars, techno-widgets, grot riggers, goffik rok band with huge loud speakers, red paint job, fish, more spikes etc. If necessary, spend some time watching John Blanche paintings for inspiration.

I am quite sure that I can resist building up this creation of feverish imagination, but perhaps some other crazed mind might get inspired enough to crank up one of these some day?

Theocracity
04-12-2012, 20:08
You know how sometimes when a person tells a funny joke, there will be that guy who can't help retelling the joke over and over again, each time adding more unnessecary embellishments to the point that it becomes unfunny and tired?

That's how I felt reading your post. It's not entirely your fault - 40K fandom is full of people who repeat all the cliches. But seriously, do we need to be clobbered over the head with it?

Edit: In my opinion, Imperial technology is best shown as the cobbled-together ancient relics of a dying empire. Crafting a giant vehicle-relic to show how awesome your god is is really more the domain of Orks :p

Cthell
04-12-2012, 20:44
You know how sometimes when a person tells a funny joke, there will be that guy who can't help retelling the joke over and over again, each time adding more unnessecary embellishments to the point that it becomes unfunny and tired?

That's how I felt reading your post. It's not entirely your fault - 40K fandom is full of people who repeat all the cliches. But seriously, do we need to be clobbered over the head with it?

Edit: In my opinion, Imperial technology is best shown as the cobbled-together ancient relics of a dying empire. Crafting a giant vehicle-relic to show how awesome your god is is really more the domain of Orks :p

+ This ^

That's why I think that the Metal SoB Exorcist is one of the most "imperial" vehicles GW have ever made.
Tech priest 1: "What should we do with these plans for an anti-vehicle multiple missile launcher?"
Tech priest 2: "Lets cross them with these plans for something called a "calliope" and see if the nuns want it..."

The Decayed
04-12-2012, 20:51
It seems to be quite easy to get a life-sized plastic skull decoration for decent price these days, to use as a conversion basis.

Really? where? You just made me need one of those...

Shnerg
04-12-2012, 23:17

Preach it sistah!

OT: I think it's a silly idea. There's grimdark, and then there's OTT. This is the latter.

Death Company
04-12-2012, 23:35

I agree completely. This goes for the overuse of 'GRIIIIMDARK', snide comments regarding Mat Ward, and the meme that won't die about the overuse of Wolf or Blood regarding Astartes codices. It's already begun in the Dark Angel rumor threads: 'I bet they ride Dark-Lions, and shoot Dark Missiles from Darkbolters, huehuehue. I'm so damn original.'

There's a lot of stuff that stopped being funny - or never was - and just will not seem to die. I don't know at what point Warseer became 4chan, but it needs to stop. Kill it; kill it with fire!

FashaTheDog
04-12-2012, 23:56
I think the idea is perfectly keeping with the setting. You should go with more than just skulls and utilize entire skeletons, especially if you use it for an Ecclesiarchy command vehicle. There is a real world example of how to best do it; the Sedlec Ossuary, which is decorated with the bones of over 40,000 people. If you were to decorate the exterior of a Baneblade, probably with a Fortress of Arrogance style pulpit, the same way as the ossuary, you could really have a cool centerpiece.

Theocracity
05-12-2012, 05:51
I think the idea is perfectly keeping with the setting. You should go with more than just skulls and utilize entire skeletons, especially if you use it for an Ecclesiarchy command vehicle. There is a real world example of how to best do it; the Sedlec Ossuary, which is decorated with the bones of over 40,000 people. If you were to decorate the exterior of a Baneblade, probably with a Fortress of Arrogance style pulpit, the same way as the ossuary, you could really have a cool centerpiece.

Well, there's a difference between 'gothic embellishments with skull iconography' and 'Skull Skullingskull featuring the Skulls.' The idea you describe could work, because it's built from the bones (ha ha) of the game's setting. The first idea doesn't work because it's built from the bones of an internet meme that's gone rancid.

AndrewGPaul
05-12-2012, 07:56
I agree completely. ... and the meme that won't die.

Kill it; kill it with fire!

Oh, the irony. :)

Other than that, I agree.

As for the OP's idea, if you aren't wanting to make one, why assume anyone else would? The whole silly suggestion is reminding me of the old Epic-scale Daemon Engines of Khorne. Here's an example of one scaled up to 40k size:

blackcherry
05-12-2012, 08:49
Oh, the irony. :)

Other than that, I agree.

As for the OP's idea, if you aren't wanting to make one, why assume anyone else would? The whole silly suggestion is reminding me of the old Epic-scale Daemon Engines of Khorne. Here's an example of one scaled up to 40k size:

I was thinking of just that! I'm pretty sure there are a few Chaos Epic vehicles that have giant skills as a part of them.

Knifey Keith
05-12-2012, 09:14
I think it's a fantastic idea! You can do what ever you want! All you need to do is believe in yourself!

Believe! Beeelliiieeeve!

Grimtuff
05-12-2012, 10:02
I'm just waiting for someone to make this.

Now that is the ultimate in 40k meta humour. :D

Griefbringer
05-12-2012, 10:09
The whole silly suggestion is reminding me of the old Epic-scale Daemon Engines of Khorne.

Now that you mention, I recall them too. The one in the picture looks like Cauldron of Blood. There were also five others: Brass scorpion, Deathdealer, Doomblaster, Blood reaper and ... Tower of Skulls. The last one essentially being a massive skull decorated tower on wheels (and bristling with guns). Picture from old Citadel catalogue:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92408epicchaoswarmachine-01.htm

Quick image search actually produced a number of 40K-scale versions, many of them using Baneblade as the basis, such as this one from Dakkadakka gallery:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/152994-Tower%20of%20Skulls.html

Perhaps I should go an get my goat now...

OgreBattle
05-12-2012, 10:26
I was thinking of just that! I'm pretty sure there are a few Chaos Epic vehicles that have giant skills as a part of them.

A reminder that it is impossible to parody 40k, there is something more extreme already in the lore.

blackcherry
05-12-2012, 10:37
A reminder that it is impossible to parody 40k, there is something more extreme already in the lore.

GW is so meta they parodied grimdark before it became a thing :p

Nah. OP, as always, you are free to do whatever you want. Its your army and ultimately your time and money. It just seems a little silly even by 40Ks standards.

Much in the same way GW had a 'red phase', I can imagine future players looking back on this period as the 'skulls phase'.

Knifey Keith
05-12-2012, 12:31
Hugeness leads to Heresy… You just made my month man.

Denny
05-12-2012, 14:04
It just seems a little silly even by 40Ks standards.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you just said. :angel:

Wishing
05-12-2012, 14:11
Well, there's a difference between 'gothic embellishments with skull iconography' and 'Skull Skullingskull featuring the Skulls.' The idea you describe could work, because it's built from the bones (ha ha) of the game's setting. The first idea doesn't work because it's built from the bones of an internet meme that's gone rancid.

To me, the thing is that I'm not sure how you could tell the difference between these two without an explanation from the creator. If I saw a land raider totally covered in skulls, or in the shape of a giant skull, I wouldn't know whether the creators' intention was "I made this to poke fun at 40k grimdarkness" or "I thought this looked appropriate for the setting as a chaplain-themed vehicle". Basically, I agree with those who said that you cannot really parody GW's skull use, because whatever parody you make will fit the setting as well.

In other words... the idea presented in the OP is perfectly fine and appropriate in principle. The only thing that makes someone like Theocracy roll their eyes is that they presented it as a joke rather than as a genuine idea.

However, I don't think the idea would work so well in practice, mainly because GW's skull decorations usually don't look like real skulls - they tend to look like stylised caricatures of skulls, just like the picture of the epic daemon engine above. If the giant skull is too realistic, it won't harmonise with the look of the miniatures.

Theocracity
05-12-2012, 14:24
To me, the thing is that I'm not sure how you could tell the difference between these two without an explanation from the creator. If I saw a land raider totally covered in skulls, or in the shape of a giant skull, I wouldn't know whether the creators' intention was "I made this to poke fun at 40k grimdarkness" or "I thought this looked appropriate for the setting as a chaplain-themed vehicle". Basically, I agree with those who said that you cannot really parody GW's skull use, because whatever parody you make will fit the setting as well.

In other words... the idea presented in the OP is perfectly fine and appropriate in principle. The only thing that makes someone like Theocracy roll their eyes is that they presented it as a joke rather than as a genuine idea.

However, I don't think the idea would work so well in practice, mainly because GW's skull decorations usually don't look like real skulls - they tend to look like stylised caricatures of skulls, just like the picture of the epic daemon engine above. If the giant skull is too realistic, it won't harmonise with the look of the miniatures.

I don't think a giant skull tank would fit the Imperium even if it was presented as real instead of a joke. Ancient vehicle relics covered in ostentatious gothic nonsense is their style - its built up from the themes of the sci-fantasy setting. A huge skull mobile is honestly more of an Ork thing - and if you look at something and say 'that looks Orky' you know it's being presented as a joke ;).

Tethylis
05-12-2012, 16:19
Or just mount it on a big flying base and claim that it has an anti-gravity engine inside.

Reminds me a little of the old Deathhead transports from the Rifts pen and paper RPG.

Wishing
05-12-2012, 22:25
I don't think a giant skull tank would fit the Imperium even if it was presented as real instead of a joke. Ancient vehicle relics covered in ostentatious gothic nonsense is their style - its built up from the themes of the sci-fantasy setting. A huge skull mobile is honestly more of an Ork thing - and if you look at something and say 'that looks Orky' you know it's being presented as a joke ;).

You say that now, but when GW brings out an imperial skull-shaped tank, you'll be eating those words!

Seriously, you have a good point that vehicles shaped like giant heads seems like more of an orky concept, ref. the BFG ork ships. The point wasn't so much about the imperium, just that the concept of a vehicle being a huge skull fits the *setting overall*. It's the kind of thing GW would happily make, even if we might quibble over what faction it might belong to. I'd even argue that the Cauldron of Blood shown earlier, a bonafide GW design, is very close to simply being a skull on wheels - if you took a big skull, sawed off the top and put a blood pool in there, stuck wheels on it and a big spray cannon out of its mouth, it could easily be recognisable as a Cauldron of Blood kitbash representation.

brionl
06-12-2012, 02:46
It is widely known that in the 40K setting, skulls are an essential part of vehicle decoration for any serious vehicle crew (like furry dice these days). The more and bigger the better. Wouldn't the logical conclusion of this be a vehicle that is actually built to be little more than a gigantic skull?

And it shoots exploding skulls out of the eye sockets!

DaemonprincePaul
07-12-2012, 12:12

And every khorne follower and daemon is chasing after it because they wanna give it to khorne for his birthday present :p

insectum7
08-12-2012, 01:42
Years ago I actually started building a "Flying Skull" orbital-drop skimmer using the Vehicle Design Rules of Chapter Approved.

Yeah, a giant floating skull that delivers marines. I should just finish the project and use the Caestus Assault Ram for rules so I can do a giant headbutt with it.

DietDolphin
08-12-2012, 05:05

So basically the final boss from Doom 2 but it moves?

I think the thing about OPs idea that's bugging some people is that he basically says "this is a stupid Idea and I know it, but maybe one of you a dumb enough to do it". I could suggest the logical extreme for a massive Slaanesh tank (a very big and hard idea...), but it's a lame idea that you giggle once at, then forget about it and move on. This is exactly the same..

DietDolphin
08-12-2012, 05:07
Years ago I actually started building a "Flying Skull" orbital-drop skimmer using the Vehicle Design Rules of Chapter Approved.

Yeah, a giant floating skull that delivers marines. I should just finish the project and use the Caestus Assault Ram for rules so I can do a giant headbutt with it.

It has to be called the "Imperial Zidane"

OgreBattle
08-12-2012, 06:44

Coalition States Death's Head Transport ship
RIFTS sci fi RPG beat you to it by almost 20 years.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
08-12-2012, 08:26
I like the suggestion that years down the road, we'll all look back on this as the "skull phase" much as we look back at the "red phase" of the 90s. I really hope that's the case. Of course, we'll all be printing our own models at that point...

insectum7
08-12-2012, 22:34
Coalition States Death's Head Transport ship
RIFTS sci fi RPG beat you to it by almost 20 years.

A drawing doesn't count. Gotta see it modeled and on the table to be worth anything :)

Starchild
08-12-2012, 22:47

159106159107I'm not sure if you were being facetious or not, but It may be worth pointing out that the bones in that cathedral were adding during the 20th century (or late 19th?) iirc. This is the work of a mad man and it does not reflect true gothic architecture.

Something covered in bones and skulls has already been done in the 40k mythos: the Daemon Engines of Khorne from Epic 40k, such as the Tower of Skulls or the Cauldron of Blood. Let's keep the skulls down to a minimum please! :skull:

Doppleskanger
09-12-2012, 10:49
I don't know, this isn't that far off the money. I immediately thought of the deamon engines from epic, but also things like this train
http://www.ironhands.com/train.htm

I also thought that I do have a 1/3 scale human skull I've been thinking of doing something with... legs... hover mode... hmmm
The success of such a model would ultimately be down to the skill of the builder, but I see it as something that could work.

Of course the sensible people are correct, GW would never have any thing to do with oversized skulls in 40k, it's just plain silly
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1620016a

self biased
09-12-2012, 12:17

so there was this black and white space marine on a black and white bike....

Griefbringer
09-12-2012, 21:20
Of course the sensible people are correct, GW would never have any thing to do with oversized skulls in 40k, it's just plain silly
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1620016a

Hmmm, could that be conveniently mounted on a flying base? Gun or two attached here and there (maybe with magnets?), and a little bit of paint, and it might make for an interesting feature for an Adeptus Mechanicus or Inquisition expeditionary force. Perhaps it could count-as a land speeder or some other suitable vehicle?

Hengist
09-12-2012, 23:41
I agree completely. This goes for the overuse of 'GRIIIIMDARK', snide comments regarding Mat Ward, and the meme that won't die about the overuse of Wolf or Blood regarding Astartes codices. It's already begun in the Dark Angel rumor threads: 'I bet they ride Dark-Lions, and shoot Dark Missiles from Darkbolters, huehuehue. I'm so damn original.'

There's a lot of stuff that stopped being funny - or never was - and just will not seem to die. I don't know at what point Warseer became 4chan, but it needs to stop. Kill it; kill it with fire!
It'll stop when GW's writing gets less juvenile and formulaic, and not before. Until then, it'll be Dark-Robed-Closeted-Plasma-Land Raiders all the way.

Though I'll admit that GW are indeed in any case far beyond parody.

Reasonable Commissar
10-12-2012, 14:20
Khorne lives in Castle Greyskull.