PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to start...

B-Ravens 52
05-12-2012, 00:41
Hi Y'all,

I am intreasted in starting 'Fantasy' however I have not yet played it and have no idea where to start, I want an army that is going to be fun to play and occasionally win, with a good story behind them...

I have an overwhelming and burning desire to win at everything I do (even got the number 2 tatoo'd on my shoulder, that way the guy behind me knows what place he is in), thus when I play 40k I play 'broken' lists and usually win unless I make a huge error. however it's not fun for the other player.

so in Fantasy I want to try and become more fun by diling back my lists but not get fed up with never winning.

if anyone can suggest a good army to look at, book to read ect please let me know :D

regards
Raven

Lance Tankmen
05-12-2012, 00:56
brets hands down have the best story to read, but are also the oldest book, still they can put up a decent fight. they are a heavy cavalry army.

also Dark elves have a decent back ground. and are really strong, but most people have a personal distaste in playing them

B-Ravens 52
05-12-2012, 01:04
Please put me down as a noob... what are brets?

I will take a closer look at the dark elves, I was considering wood elves, something about moving trees is amusing

Xerkics
05-12-2012, 01:07
Skaven or Ogres are the 2 powerlists at the moment i should think. Lizardmen and Dark Elves are quite good. I dont personally think however power level is a good motivator for starting an army . Read about each army and go by what youd enjoy collecting / painting as power army might end up being boring for you. So if your dialing it down look at what army you like the feel/look of and go from there.

Plague Lord
05-12-2012, 01:46
What armies do you play in 40k??

Charistoph
05-12-2012, 03:01
Most armies can be filed in to a fun and winnable category, but a lot depends on what you're playing against, and how you like your army to flow.

Do you like running people over? Look at Bretonnians, Tomb Kings, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, and Orcs & Goblins.

Do you prefer your army steadfastly marching in to the enemy to beat them? Dwarfs, Lizardmen, Warriors of Chaos, and Vampires may be your speed.

Do you like to see your enemy wither before the fire of your army? Wood Elves, Empire, Dwarfs, and Tomb Kings are obvious choices, but Lizardmen, High Elves, Dark Elves, and Bretonnians can bring the pain at range as well.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
05-12-2012, 08:23
Play Orcs and Goblins. If you can consistently win with them you can pat yourself on the back. They're the very definition of fun.

Kula
05-12-2012, 10:43
Since you're just starting out and you want the whole package; fun, fluffy and competitve, I would suggest one of the more versatile armies. Empire, Orcs n' Goblins and Vampire Counts spring to mind. They are versatile but also have a rich army background. They are also currently released during 8th edition, avoiding all the finecast models that many of the other, older armies have and thus reducing the cash you have to throw at your army.

Athariel
05-12-2012, 12:01
I would say Tomb Kings or Vampire Counts.

They have fairly new books with a good selection of models all in plastic with some great large kits if that is your thing, (Coven Throne/Mortis Engine) (Necrosphinx/Warsphinx) love those models.

They are great for conversions and both have a good background. I would also say they are amongst the easier armies to paint to a reasonable table top standard.

Both also can make fairly good lists though I would say Tomb Kings take a bit more learning to be consistently good.

Only issue I see with Vampire Counts is they tend to be very popular.

Omnichron
05-12-2012, 12:59
If you don't want your opponent to be bitter and have a distaste for you, DON'T go dark elves. I'm making experimental lists with DE and still get that "DE is so OP" in my face for every win... it makes the game less fun for me now than when I was the underdog with the previous army book.

O&G is fun and isn't in the "OP" category, TK is probably a bit underpowered still even though it has lots of nice things to it. VC is nice, even though they can field one of the strongest lords there is. I think I'd go with VC or Empire if I started all over again actually.

jtrowell
05-12-2012, 15:23
My first advise: chose among one of the armies with an updated army book for the current edition, they all have several viable builds, are relatively balanced, and you won't have to fear a new book coming soon and making your best unit semi-obsolete because it has been nerfed/increased in cost

Those armies are:
- Orc & goblins
- Tomb Kings
- Ogres Kingdoms
- Vampire Counts
- Empire

Tomb kings, while being my favorite army, are the hardest to play with among the new books, so I wouldn't advise them as your fist army unless you really like the theme or the models and know what you're getting into. They can be powerful when used correctly, but their slow movement will usually means that you will have a hard time coming back from a bad situation, making them unforgiving for a rookie player.

Vampire counts can be fun, but they lack shooting, so if you really want to try all phases of the game, try among the remaining: Orcs & Goblins, Ogres Kingdoms and Empire

The competitive player in you will need to know that Ogres are the more powerful of the new armies (na dTomb kings the weakest), but it's not as severe as what 7th edition was, all 3 armies can be very effective with a good general.

However Ogres have another advantage: low model count.
With that and one of the best bataillons (you will always has use for more ogre bodies), they can be the cheapest army to start.

However the Empire army box (special limited offer currently available) can also be a good reason to start an imperial army.

jtrowell
05-12-2012, 15:24
I forgot to add: Daemons will probably get a new army book in February, and Warriors of Chaos are expected to get one in a few month too.

B-Ravens 52
05-12-2012, 16:19
I have now had a look at O&G and the empire and I must say that O&G are seeming to be very very funny indeed...

they have a few fun units to...

Fanatics = I will kill you as well as the enemy
Doom divers = I will just chuck bodies at you

I will read more on this matter with a friend later tonight and hopefully post a prelimenary list in the list section of the forum, let me know you comments on it :D

Blinder
05-12-2012, 17:02
If you have friends who play pester them for a look at their books to sort out the background notions (if someone has the full-size rulebook that'll have the same sort of background overview as the full-size 40k book, and then the army books are obvious). The suggestions to go with one of the updated armies are good, the fact that they're written for the edition not only means less worry of things going "poof" but also they fit more comfortably into the mechanics you'll be trying to learn. Coming from 40k there's a *lot* to get used to in terms of "almost but not quite," far more than the recent edition change and the fewer awkward attempts at making old concepts work to deal with the less frustrating things will be for you IMO.

Of course, if you end up really deciding you like one of the older factions, the usual advice of "play what you'll enjoy" certainly applies.

If you're trying to consciously "change gears" in terms of how you approach playing a game to be more about having some laughs and less about "the win" O&G definitely are a safe bet... they feel to have far more chance to cause actually flavorful mayhem than 40k's Orks so you can't take any given game but so seriously and when they self-destruct there's usually at least a good bit of fun involved but they're solid enough you shouldn't end up feeling you've overly hobbled yourself.

Best of luck getting started!

Pancakey
05-12-2012, 17:45
Listen to the people. Orcs are a blast to play. If you play WAAC and want to learn how to be a good sport, orcs are the army for you! :)

thesoundofmusica
05-12-2012, 19:00
Dont go DE, lizardmen or skaven. If you're that competitive limiting yourself will only work for so long. Especially since people are quick to scream OP but will never acknowledge when you play a soft list. Things like that will push you towards powergaming.

So the answer is of course to pick an inherently weaker army with weaknesses obvious and exploitable to even the dumbest foe. With beastmen no victory is given, there are no I-win builds and every win is so much sweeter for it.

Besides Beastmen look awesome. I personally picked Beastmen based on those very reasons; looks and knowing that if I played an army with powerbuilds available I might go that path and in our smallish gaming group that wouldnt be fun for anyone.

Urgat
05-12-2012, 19:50
Please put me down as a noob... what are brets?

Unless I'm blind, nobody has replied to that, so, brets is short for Bretonnians, in case you didn't figure it out for yourself already :)

outbreak
05-12-2012, 20:10
If you want to make games fun for your opponent I'd suggest Orcs and Goblins. They usually stay consistent as a middle of the road army with a lot of variety and fun in them through editions. When I started I took up tomb kings, ogres then skaven. I liked tomb kings and ogres a lot because they were under played and considered weak. Skaven weren't a power army either. Now I can't afford to add what I need to make my tomb kings 8th ed worthy and my ogres and skaven are op armies :(

B-Ravens 52
05-12-2012, 20:17
I was looking at 'brets' a second ago, is there a way of taking a mage or 2 with say 2 units of archers, 3 units of CC guys and a couple of trebuchets?

Xerkics
05-12-2012, 20:38
Bret archers are dirt cheap as are their warmachines trebuchets and you can easily get 2 knight buses in a relatively small game.

outbreak
05-12-2012, 21:51
If your liking brets and wanting to keep this army cheap, you can easily find the old starter edition knights and archers floating around on ebay and sales threads. Cheap core to get going with.

Morkmillian
05-12-2012, 22:10
Orcs and goblins!!!

Jind_Singh
06-12-2012, 06:41
Orcs & Goblins for a stack of reasons!

- They are fun to play
- They have fun stories and back grounds
- AMAZING model range
- Fun for other players to play against
- VERY competitive but in a sneaky way! You beat someone good and proper with the Greenskins, I've had an amazing run with them on the tournament scene, but at the same time they stop you from being a ****!

You can collect any kind of army!!

mounted
infantry heavy
monster mash
shooting
gobbos
orcs

The lists are as endless as the potential for mayhem and fun! It's an 8th edition army book, the army is one of the best supported by GW - they always get updates - and super sexy models!

Omnichron
06-12-2012, 11:49
Yeah, O&G is a lot of fun. When I play against them, the matches are always tough and a laugh :)

Gromdal
06-12-2012, 12:51
You can make a nice list for any army.

This is my advice for chosing an army

1. Playstyle (close combat, shooting, movement, heroes etc) pick your favorite part and stick with it
2. Fluff (out of the armies that favour close combat for example chose the one with the fluff you like the most)
3. Models

Blinder
06-12-2012, 14:39
I was looking at 'brets' a second ago, is there a way of taking a mage or 2 with say 2 units of archers, 3 units of CC guys and a couple of trebuchets?

Yes, but I'd suggest taking a plenty deep look into how Brets play if you consider going that route- they're by no means a complete pushover army, but they're also not quite the most forgiving for newcomers. Digging around batreps related to the army you're interested in is always a good idea, but possibly doubly-so with an army like Brets because you can get a good picture of what you can, can't, and (most importantly) must try not to do when you play them. Regardless of if you prefer youtube or writeups, you'll want to make sure there are some pictures involved, there are a lot of ways to literally get the army in a bind that don't seem as big a complication for others :)

Xerkics
06-12-2012, 15:13
Orcs and gobbs are also prob the most expensive army to collect in warhammer while Brets are quite cheap on ebay

Catflap
06-12-2012, 17:26
Beastmen could be great for you also. You can kick some teeth in with that army in hand to erm...teeth , scream "unlimited-power" during the magic fase or go "mad max" style with chariots.

outbreak
06-12-2012, 21:23
Orcs and gobbs are also prob the most expensive army to collect in warhammer while Brets are quite cheap on ebay

Not true. They were most likely my cheapest army. night goblins from skull pass set, orcs and chariots from the 5th ed starter set, any goblin warmachines are very easily converted from bits and sprues. You can even get the monopose black orcs if you don't mind the models. Very cheap army to get going with.

Xerkics
06-12-2012, 22:39
Not true. They were most likely my cheapest army. night goblins from skull pass set, orcs and chariots from the 5th ed starter set, any goblin warmachines are very easily converted from bits and sprues. You can even get the monopose black orcs if you don't mind the models. Very cheap army to get going with.
Anecdotal evidence nonwithstanding Orcs and goblins due to numbers you need are one of the most expensive if not the most expensive armies to collect if you buying new. Brets would be much cheaper as they are nowhere near as popular but have solid plastics and knight lances even buying from gw will cost you less than hordes of orcs or heaven forbid goblins. Personal luck aka " i bought XX really cheap" may vary.

Daniel36
07-12-2012, 07:08
Sounds to me like you want Ogre Kingdoms.
They are powerful, but not so much that your opponents can't ever win. So they probably fit your playstyle and wishes all in one, in that sense.
They are also a relatively cheap army to start with, as you don't need that many models, and they are easy to assemble and paint up quickly.
They have an interesting enough backstory. There are many different tribes that wander around and smash stuff, so there is plenty of background but also plenty of room for your own backstory.
There is plenty of choice and within that choice plenty of really cool options.

Why didn't I start an Ogre Kingdoms army again?

oldmechanic
07-12-2012, 10:03
best thing you can get is an unassembled and unpainted army and rulebook off eBay. everything there is a bargain! i recently got some stuff off it for a 3rd of the price!

B-Ravens 52
08-12-2012, 21:24
I have today started my collection... The Empire, they are human, just normal people... I am not going for the overpowerd builds but am looking at a balance, my 1st list will go up in a while

King Arthur
09-12-2012, 13:20
Man I love Brets collecting them is a steep learning curve but you need to know builds and how to use them, and they are a low tier army making them more fun and collectible, great fun to paint and you might get quite successful with them oh yeh you usually play all the phases of the game getting you into it very quickly.

Juicy21
09-12-2012, 13:37
My best advice would be.. start an 8th edition army! that way you got an new armybook! most of these books got loads of options.. With bretonnians your very limited to a few builds. you got like 10 differant unit types.. if you go orcs and goblins ore empire well you got like 30!!

Toshiro
09-12-2012, 14:49
I have today started my collection... The Empire, they are human, just normal people... I am not going for the overpowerd builds but am looking at a balance, my 1st list will go up in a while

Good choice :)

MR. GRUMPY
09-12-2012, 14:59

I found a 10k Empire army lying on the sidewalk so they are by far the cheapest army out there!!! Great logic.

outbreak
09-12-2012, 20:45
Not really the same. I'm pointing out the fact that they were in a recent starters set makes them very easy to find cheaply. Seriously have a look, I've turned down cheap skull pass sets because I already have too many night goblins. It's not like I'm claiming an armies cheap just because of a lucky find, I'm saying there is an abundance of orcs and goblin's core models around due to them being in recent starters boxes. Their war machines are also extremely cheap to convert up from bits off ebay as well. They also have an abundance of non gw models around due to the fact they are a common fantasy race. These are facts not me stating I had lucky finds.

MR. GRUMPY
09-12-2012, 21:35
Not really the same. I'm pointing out the fact that they were in a recent starters set makes them very easy to find cheaply. Seriously have a look, I've turned down cheap skull pass sets because I already have too many night goblins. It's not like I'm claiming an armies cheap just because of a lucky find, I'm saying there is an abundance of orcs and goblin's core models around due to them being in recent starters boxes. Their war machines are also extremely cheap to convert up from bits off ebay as well. They also have an abundance of non gw models around due to the fact they are a common fantasy race. These are facts not me stating I had lucky finds.

The average Joe starting out an army for the first time wants the latest gw stuff, not old stuff or scratch built war machines from "bits and pieces" and defiantly not models from other companies. If you buy the gw products from gw or any other retailer Orcs and goblins are a very expensive army to collect especially if you want to be competitive as the battalion is then useless.

outbreak
09-12-2012, 22:27
The average Joe starting out an army for the first time wants the latest gw stuff, not old stuff or scratch built war machines from "bits and pieces" and defiantly not models from other companies. If you buy the gw products from gw or any other retailer Orcs and goblins are a very expensive army to collect especially if you want to be competitive as the battalion is then useless.

While that's true, I'm just pointing out to the op that it can be cheap to start the army. I also mentioned if you don't mind the older models. For some one looking to start an army on a budget they are an easy army to do that. For a player wanting the latest models then yes they are expensive but I'm talking about penny pinching here. I would NEVER recommend a new player start an army by walking into a GW store. Even if they want the latest models I'd send them to ebay or another online retailer even if they are buying new in box stuff.

-Loki-
10-12-2012, 02:05
You can make a nice list for any army.

This is my advice for chosing an army

1. Playstyle (close combat, shooting, movement, heroes etc) pick your favorite part and stick with it
2. Fluff (out of the armies that favour close combat for example chose the one with the fluff you like the most)
3. Models

In this sort of thing, I put models above fluff. Fluff you usually read once and move on, but models are something you'll be spending a lot of time with between building, painting and playing. While you're still picking favorite model range, it's after limiting yourself with fluff.