PDA

View Full Version : 2400 Ogres, Need C&C

hardwiredmagic
08-12-2012, 16:34
Ok so doing a Tale of Many Gamers locally, will be posting pics in the project logs, but for now really need some feedback on my list:

Slaughtermaster
Lore of the Great Maw
Lv. 4
Grut's Sickle
Ironfist

BSB
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour
Crown of Command

Butcher
Lore of Death
Hellheart
Ironfist

15 Bulls
FC
Ironfists

6 Ironguts

4 Mournfang Cavalry
FC
Dragonhide Banner
Heavy armour
Ironfists

4 Mournfang Cavalry
FC
Ironfists
Heavy Armour

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

Stonehorn
Harpoon Launcher

So I'm unsure about the OgreStar, and the Lore of Death. Are there any more solid options to go for with this many Mournfang?

FireAllMarkerlights
08-12-2012, 19:58
So I'm no expert in the Ogres, only had mine a couple weeks but I'll just touch base that some people do reply.
This list seems pretty strong and as for the OgreStar its what you make of it. I would probably take a scroll just to stop a huge spell wiping half the unit, such as the 13th or dwellers.
Seems aslong as your mournfang make it to the enemies lines they should roll over most of the opponents.
Quick word of advice, don't place your sabertusks too close to units with low leaderships, you really don't want a panic test running a sizable chunk of your army off the board.
Anyway just my 2 cents,
FireAllMarkerlights

Bazzal
08-12-2012, 21:00
Assuming the 3 char are going in horde unit I'd put the crown on someone else loose the command bar banners on mournfang and get the get the maw banner on the bsb thus protecting them from almost all magic, except yours :-D

The only other thing I'd take is the thunder tusk over the stonehorn for more range and would put your horde hitting first in most combats.

immortal git
09-12-2012, 21:00
Pretty solid, I would also take the maw banner on the bsb because if you have a bad magic phase and have no defense on the bull horde it will die pretty quickly. I would also consider maybe putting great weapons on one unit of MFC just for a bit of difference in the units. Maybe try and squeeze in the Ironcurse icon somewhere too

Kayosiv
09-12-2012, 22:43
I'd protect your BSB more. There's little point in giving him a crown that makes him stubborn if his only defense is a 5+ armor save. It just makes the target on his head that much bigger.

Morax
10-12-2012, 14:54
Ok so doing a Tale of Many Gamers locally, will be posting pics in the project logs, but for now really need some feedback on my list:

Slaughtermaster
Lore of the Great Maw
Lv. 4
Grut's Sickle
Ironfist

BSB
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour
Crown of Command

Butcher
Lore of Death
Hellheart
Ironfist

15 Bulls
FC
Ironfists

6 Ironguts

4 Mournfang Cavalry
FC
Dragonhide Banner
Heavy armour
Ironfists

4 Mournfang Cavalry
FC
Ironfists
Heavy Armour

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

Stonehorn
Harpoon Launcher

So I'm unsure about the OgreStar, and the Lore of Death. Are there any more solid options to go for with this many Mournfang?

Ok I'll start with the responses you've gotten so far. Most of them are advising you to take the Maw banner on your BSB to protect the Ogrestar. While this will protect you from Dwellers (some thing you need), it will not protect you from the far more dangerous Purple Sun. While there is little you can take to proctect from this spell, it does need to be planned for. The Hellheart and Death magic's character sniping will go a long way towards this end. If you want to add a bit more protection, you could take a Dispel Scroll on the Slaughtermaster. I don't think it's needed but that's up to you.

You asked about the Ogrestar and Lore of Death. I hope I've answered your concerns on the Lore of Death and the reasons you should keep it. As to the Ogrestar, well the standard way to take a unit like this would be to take Ironguts. The term Gutstar is synomymous with Ogre Kingdoms for a reason. Strength 6 from a core unit is a huge boon to any army. You get it on monsterous creatures, in a unit you can horde, and with out magical augments. Those three points are huge. Mediocre buffs to the unit's survivability will see this unit taking on just about anything with ease. The added benefit of taking a Gutstar is the ability to take a magical banner. This also is huge as any leadership tests an army like this is going to take is at best on a 8 (think Hellcannon and other auto panic check abilities). If you take the Standard of Discipline, which I suggest you do, and place your general in the unit you gain a leadership of a 9 for the army. That is immensely better than an 8. So to answer your question, the Ogrestar can get the job done but can struggle against opponents that the Gutstar would steamroll. I'd switch that to a Gutstar if you are looking for this style of play.

Mournfang, Mournfang, double Sabretusk is a pretty standard special selection so you should know why it's effective so I won't comment there. The Stonehorn is a bit of an odd-ball choice but if you are happy with it, more power to you.

Your character selection can be tiddied up a bit though. The Slaughtermaster doesn't need extensive protection but he does need some. The Fencer's Blades or the Talisman of Protection will protect him enough to see him through the rounds of combat he is going to expect, so you can heal him up in your magic phase. The BSB likewise will need some proction as the best way to handle a Gutstar (even with the Standard of Discipline) is to make them take leadership tests. The BSB is the best proction you have against those and that makes him a target. Heavy Armor and Enchanted Shield is a good start, you could take it a step farther and take a ward save like the Talisman of Endurance, but that prohibits you from taking the Crown of Command. This unit shouldn't be losing combats so the Crown shouldn't come into play, but that is your call. The Butcher is just there to get rid of enemy mage's with threatening spells. That goal should be handled by the time you see combat so protection here isn't really needed. It can help you with some points denial but I'd only go that far if you had extra points which it doesn't look like you do.

Hope this helps.