PDA

View Full Version : Another Project: My Warseer Marine

Codsticker
17-05-2006, 15:32
I found my Desert Terrain Project Log extremely helpful in keeping me on track and getting the job done. Hopefully this thread will do same for Medulla Oblongata III, Warseer Marine of the 2nd. Company. I decided I wanted him to be a bit different than your regular heavy Bolter-toting marine; to this end I decide to give him bare arms and that meant a different heavy bolter than the one that comes with the devestator marine. I decided to use the Scout heavy bolter but had a hard time getting the arms to match up with the torso the way I wanted. So here I am engaging in my first real Green Stuff project: new arms for my marine. Thus far the basic stucture is completed. Any helpful advice about sculpting would be greatly appreciated.

Mortare
17-05-2006, 17:35
Have to say that the pose at the mo looks as tho he has just been struck and is falling backwards. Hope it will be balanced out with the weapon tho. Did u consider or try the chaos marine arms from their heavy bolter?

ghost hunter
17-05-2006, 18:17
if you put his head strait forward and the heavy bolter leval then it will look like he is standing on a rock firing his heavy bolter

Codsticker
18-05-2006, 05:16
I want him to look like he's shooting upwards; I imagined him in a urban envoirment (his base will be covered in rubble) shooting into the second story of a building.

Kotobuki
18-05-2006, 15:19
With the Torso that far back, unless he's only a couple feet from the building, he's gonna be shooting to the 4th floor or higher. Second story is only 10 or so feet above ground level. You really don't need to be bent that far back to elevate your shot that high.

Codsticker
18-05-2006, 16:02
You guys may be right- I may have it too exagerated. Once I get the heavy bolter sorted out and see where that is going then I'll re-assess. If need be I can break him in half and make him more upright.

Codsticker
19-05-2006, 05:51
An update; I sculpted some muscle on the right arm and added a hand from the Space Marine sprue. It looks huge though, so it's coming off.

Codsticker
21-05-2006, 17:43
I scrapped the enormous Space Marine hand in favour of hardwiring him directly to his heavy bolter. The left arm will be holding onto the heavy bolter by a handle attached to the top, about where the gunsight is.

Mortare
21-05-2006, 20:19
I like the idea of him being hardwired to the weapon, but there should be some sort of 'cuff join' between the two where he is plugged in. Also, i think you could bulk the muscle on the arm up more, they are supposed to be hugely muscled, he doesnt even compare to a catachan at the mo! Other than that, nice project and keep us updated

Codsticker
22-05-2006, 01:40
Indeed there is a little cuff but I don't think you can see it in the picture. I hope to get some more work done on him today and I will try to take a better pic. I was wondering abiut running a wire from the heavy bolter into his arm, either at the bicep or on the forearm.

EDIT: Here's a better pic showing the cuff. very simple but I think sufficient. I may dress it up a bit later (rivets, maybe or a wire ot two). I am currently beefing up the arms as suggested and will post a couple more pictures later this evening.

Codsticker
22-05-2006, 21:37
I am at the Choosing A Head Stage; which one: the first pic shows a head from the Catachan sprue the second has a head from the Cadian sprue. I want a bare head for this mini- it keeps it consistent with the bare arms. My personal preference is for the Cadian head.

AventineCrusader
22-05-2006, 21:43
Go with the Cadian head...

Crusader:D

ZAChos
22-05-2006, 21:53
Cadian FTW!!!!

The catachan models should really be admitted as a big mistake and get eaten by a conveniant hive fleet.

Mortare
22-05-2006, 22:05
Cadian head, maybe a helmet by his side?

MIGHTYPanhead
22-05-2006, 22:08
although normally I would go with the cadian head, in this case the catachan seems more fitting.

more of a "screamy-bullet-spewing" type expression. You could even give him a full do-rag!

ExquisiteEvil
22-05-2006, 22:44
c adian

static-breed
22-05-2006, 22:57
Catachan ;) . Very nice pose, by the way.

mopman
24-05-2006, 22:30
cadian all the way

highmarshaldave
24-05-2006, 22:45
Cadian, with a damaged helm on the base and a trickle of blood down the side of his head.

Dave out.

treebarkscum
25-05-2006, 01:58
Cadian. Although both seem rather fitting, I'm not a real big fan of the Catachan models.

Scorpio
25-05-2006, 02:32
Lookin good. The GSing is looking really good. This guy is gonna be sweet!:cool:

-Scorpio

Codsticker
29-05-2006, 19:26
Here is Medulla Oblongata, III all primed up and ready for painting. A few flaws that I should have dealt with before I primed are now quite appartent; the lack of sculpting on the inside of the left arm ("Nobody is going to see that.") Also the left knee pad had to be cut to bend the leg so that it could be on the I-beam; I forgot to tidy that bit up- it looks like it will have to be battle damage. I may, if time and inspiration are still with me, piant a damaged helmet as someone suggested.

Ivan Stupidor
02-06-2006, 00:10
Aha! Finally found it!

Looking good, Marine. Better than I can do, especially since I finally got around to buying my first batch of greenstuff ever last week. (You drilled out the barrel, too. Bet you're going to use highlights on the armour, too... trying to show up your Sergeant, eh?)

So, that's two marines from the squad that I've seen so far - yours and mine. Both have bionics of one sort or another. Great minds think alike, I guess. (I should probably go try to find Sgt. Echetus. He's assembled, but hiding in one of my bitz boxes.)

Codsticker
19-06-2006, 17:48
Three weeks later:
I finally get some paint on him. Here he is with a single coat of paint on all parts except the blue and white which each have two coats. I normally finish off a section (ie. exposed skin, then armour, then weapons. etc.) before moving on to the next. This time I decided to put a basecoat on each section before moving on to the next. At this point I think I'll go ahead and finish the arms and head before moving onto the armour, then the raised sections of gear, followed by the heavy bolter and finally the base.

Codsticker
20-06-2006, 00:51
The fleshy bits are done- next up are the white sections of armour.

Codsticker
27-06-2006, 04:58
All there is to do now is the base. I've started painting the rubble and the section of I-beam but I'm going to add some ballast, a bit more drybrushing and a couple of washes then he's finished.

the dark angel
29-06-2006, 20:41
sweet marine dude i like the bionic,im in the second company also in the assult squad,mine is still in the process of being made (green stuff here and there) im also attempting,going by the forums creat a full chapter of warseer marines:)

Codsticker
02-07-2006, 03:58
Finally done. When I was sealing him the kneepad decal started to lift off so I'll have to fix that. Although he turned out ok, it's not my best paint job and the finish is less than spectacular- I sprayed him with Clear Hardcoat then a layer of Testors Clear Matte Sealer. The Hardcoat seemed to come out grainy, especially noticeable on the shoulder pads. Now all I need is a place to send him.

For my next project I can't decide on one of the following:
a) Finish my Armoured Column.
b) Death Watch Killteam.

Mojaco
02-07-2006, 08:35
The scouts come with bare arms and heavy bolter perfect for this. But I suppose that's a bit late.

Shouldn't you see black carapace instead of skin? Scouts don't because they're not full marines yet, but this marine should have it.
Though I understand if you simply let that fly and go for looks :)

Codsticker
02-07-2006, 16:11
That is the bolter from the scout sprue but I couldn't get the scout arms to align the way I wanted on the Space Marine torso so I had to manufacture my own. The bare skin is just for looks- he's a tough dude! :)

Steel_Legion
02-07-2006, 17:03
that does look pretty cool i must say so, and i agree marines shouldnt have bare skin, but it looks cool, very well done, does he have a W on his sholder pad yet?

Codsticker
02-07-2006, 17:28
that does look pretty cool i must say so, and i agree marines shouldnt have bare skin, but it looks cool, very well done, does he have a W on his sholder pad yet?

I don't have a 'W'. :( I was actually under the impression that who ever was recieving the Marines would be doing it as they come in.

Oxford
02-07-2006, 23:57
The Warseer decal sheet sounded like it wasn't going to happen last time I heard anything about it. :(
If you're going to do the W by hand it might be an idea to do a practice go on a spare pad first. It would be a shame to mess up the excellent job you've done on the rest of the model. :)

Quin 242
03-07-2006, 00:27
While you have painted it already.. can you go back and add a suspensor exo-bar/frame on the right arm? The reason for marines tremendous S is not so much thier arms but in the nerve bundles and fiber assist that thier Power Armor provides. They are probably stronger than any regular human out there but the difference comes from the armor "enhancing" thier movements.
It just looks off I guess.. But then again scouts can do it so....

Codsticker
03-07-2006, 01:10
His right arm is wired directly into the heavy bolter. It wouldn't be a 40k model if it wasn't doing something physically immpossible. ;)

I'm really not into freehanding the 'W'- perhaps I'll just ship it to Hortwerth and get him to do it. :p