PDA

View Full Version : Elder Sign board game

Steam_Giant
13-12-2012, 17:45
Picked this up and gotta say Im really enjoying it. The co-op style may have something to do with it, Particularly as its just me and the missus playing it at the moment.

I didn't think she would enjoy the dice mechanics but she really does. And I enjoy the theme although its not as flavour full as Arkham Horror, which is fine when you consider it plays in 2 hours just fine which you cant say the same about AH.

Will hopefully get a large game (5+ players) in after the holidays and see how it goes.

Anyone else enjoying this?

ColShaw
13-12-2012, 20:06
Oddly enough, I just played a game of Arkham Horror which was over in half an hour. I couldn't believe it either.

We got absurdly lucky, 4 players, 4 gates, we slammed them all shut, sealing three. Game over, easy win. :eek:

Steam_Giant
13-12-2012, 20:57
Bizarre!

Thats hardly worth the massive setup time. Did you play again?

ColShaw
14-12-2012, 13:25
Bizarre!

Thats hardly worth the massive setup time. Did you play again?

No... we played Race for the Galaxy and Dominion instead.

Jedi152
14-12-2012, 14:32
We've had really short Arkham Horror games ... At first we thought you had a Mythos phase after every player took his turn. We died quickly...

ColShaw
14-12-2012, 19:30
We've had really short Arkham Horror games ... At first we thought you had a Mythos phase after every player took his turn. We died quickly...

Yeah, that'll kill you right quick. I played it solo once... then that Rumor happened where you get 2 Mythos cards each phase if you fail. I failed... next thing I knew, Yig was breathing down my neck.

I killed him, though, so it was okay. Fear Joe Diamond, Private Eye. :)

Chucklemoney
15-12-2012, 18:26
Just played elder signs for the first time last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit actually. I preferred the simplicity of it over mansions of madness.

Steam_Giant
16-12-2012, 14:24
I've only played MoM once but it seemed to be more of an RPG game unlike ES which is more of a board game. Which puts AH in-between I guess?

The simplicity of the game was obviously a big factor in FF choosing to make it a tablet game too.

Zinegata
30-12-2012, 02:18
ES is one of the new generation of interesting dice games. They're quick and fun to play.

If you like the mechanic, check out King of Tokyo and Roll Through the Ages, as both have similarish mechanics.

MasterDecoy
29-01-2013, 08:22
My biggest problem with the game is that it is way way too easy, I asked a few questions on the official ffg forums to make sure we where doing it right (apparently we where) and I don't think we've ever come close to losing.

I have lost a few games of Arkham horror in 4 turns due to a few players all getting the portal opens on their encounters (7 portals in 4 turns) and another one where a devouring portal opened on 4 of the 5 players at the same time on turn 1, we decided it was am omen and gave up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Steam_Giant
29-01-2013, 18:07
Agreed I've played a number of two player games and now find the game 90/10 very easy win ratio.

My advice is play large games with new players, and don't be afraid to take some risks rather than play casual.

MasterDecoy
30-01-2013, 23:38
perhaps the upcomming expansion will make it harder, fingers crossed

Kamenya
31-01-2013, 18:14
I'd use this as a "gateway game" to sell people on the Cthulhu mythos/arkham horror setting. The game is just a lot more manageable than Arkham and I feel that the theme comes through just as well.