PDA

View Full Version : Coming to WHF (my first love) from 40k

AnthonyLR13
18-12-2012, 04:52
As the title says im coming to Fantasy and cant be anymore happier. This isnt a help me find an army.....because ive found one that i have fallen in love with regardless of being on of the oldest codexes. Im talking about Mighty BRETONNIA, yes them so although there will be some to reply with comments on how out of date or for lack of better word "terrible". I dont mind i cant wait to start collecting and painting these bad boys up.

So here are my Q's, All my friends say that you build bretonnia either defensive or offensive (Since a balance of both tends to fail most of the time or so ive heard). I would like to know what seperates these two builds or army philosophies? IE what do the two armys consist of that make them either Off or Def? Are units like battle pilgrims and the Grail Reliquea relevant and able to be utilized in the game effectively? Because i love the idea of these units in my army on the battlefield!

Also what are some of the possible routes to go ( i am not looking to build deathstars and try to smash people and play ultra competively), i want to build an army with personality and functionality. What is the best way to go about this? Also any other general Bretonnia knowledge is also extremely welcome.

So please help out a fellow lover of Warhammer fantasy (although a new one) and answer these fun questions!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!

raymon
18-12-2012, 16:44
The grail pelgrims can have a place in your army guarding your flanks. You don't want nifty flankers getting your lances in the flank. Pelgrims can pose a tarpit for those units. And be prepared that your lances will end up in prolonged fights. So max out to have a chance to outrank your foes. Trebuchets are your friend and men at arms can be fun, but it needs practice to synergies with your lances. I like to charge with my lances to hold a unit down and then send in the men at arms to push your opponents steadfast over the edge.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
18-12-2012, 17:23
My best friend has been playing Bretonnians for nearly 15 years now. As someone who's trampled and been on the receiving end of a trampling at the hands of the mighty Bretonnians, I can definitely confirm that they are more than capable of competing in the current game. Offensive or defensive, having a nice bus of M@A (40-50) and a solid bus of KotR (15 strong) is where my friend usually starts his lists. Then there's the mandatory Prophetess so you can use Throne of Vines with Dwellers below. It actually starts to get pretty heinous.

TheDungen
18-12-2012, 19:30
bretts are a little more challenging to play but on the other hand alot of people underestimate them thinking that because the book is so old they must suck. Unlike Welfs however brettionians can be very deadly in a decent players hands (welfs require you to be a really good player for that to be true)

Disposable Hero
18-12-2012, 20:39
I am in no way a good player, but I have been on the receiving end of those blasted lances a few times.

It seems that the trick is to adopt Lance formation, bring loads of magic stuff, put in a character, a BSB, tie up your granny on the back of a horse, don't forget the Magic banner of Kill Them, and let somebody please bring the kitchen sink..

Kayosiv
19-12-2012, 00:55
All my friends say that you build bretonnia either defensive or offensive (Since a balance of both tends to fail most of the time or so ive heard). I would like to know what seperates these two builds or army philosophies? IE what do the two armys consist of that make them either Off or Def?

Are units like battle pilgrims and the Grail Reliquea relevant and able to be utilized in the game effectively? Because i love the idea of these units in my army on the battlefield!

Also what are some of the possible routes to go ( i am not looking to build deathstars and try to smash people and play ultra competively), i want to build an army with personality and functionality. What is the best way to go about this? Also any other general Bretonnia knowledge is also extremely welcome.

Playing offensive or defensive has a lot to do with playstyle rather than list creation. A more defensive list though will be one that has more trebuchets, bowmen, and yeomen and will be about avoiding combat while inflicting casualties from range. Big blocks of foot troops to hold up the opposition when it does arrive is then backed up with magic to ensure that you grind your opponent down over several turns. An offensive list will feature more knights and offensive characters designed to break units on the charge.

Battle Pilgrims and the grail Reliquea are part of the book that has not aged well. In general, it is too expensive for what it does, which is be stubborn. These days it is far more efficient to just buy a men-at-arms unit with a paladin with the virtue of empathy to lead it. You can get a unit 50 strong of men-at-arms with the paladin character for the same price as the grail reliquea and 24 battle pilgrims. I totally get why people love the "idea" of the reliquea and want to include it in their army, but it is sub optimal choice because of it's price and because it automatically dies if it ever flees (a rule it didn't have when it was released). There's nothing stopping you from using it as a cool unit filler inside the ranks of your men-at-arms though.

The great thing about Brets is that a good army is a mix of a lots of stuff. Here's what you absolutely need.
1. 2 characters, 1 paladin (mandatory BSB) and 1 damsel, probably on horseback. Depending on your play style you can have a level 4 wizard or multiple level 2's, but you'll want at least one and probably 2. Taking a Bretonnian Lord as a General for leadership 9 and his fighting prowess is also a good choice. He is not mandatory but nor is he a poor choice as he is fairly priced and has access to some great virtues and magical items. Avoid taking him on a hippogryph, they are some of the worst monsters in the game.
2. Two units of knights. Probably to be a unit of knights of the realm and a unit of knights errant, although you certainly don't need the knights errant. Unit sizes can vary but 12 seems to be a popular number with 9 being low and 15 being maxed out and generally too long a lance.
3. A Trebuchet. One of the best war machines in the game, you can choose between taking 1 and 2, as taking 0 is foolhardy.
4. Pegasus knights: An excellent flying unit that has something that many flying units in the game lack; a good armor save. Durable and potent on the charge, they are expensive but worth it. You will want a unit of 3-5 as units larger than 6 are unwieldy and unnecessarily big.

From there it is really up to you. This will only account for about 1000 points if your army and you can build the rest to taste.

Peasants are all good. Men-at-arms are cheap sources of strength 4 and easy steadfast. Bowmen are a cheap source of massed shooting and flaming attacks. Yeomen are highly mobile and have a million uses.

Questing knights are a good source of high strength attacks that don't require the charge to be effective.

Grail Knights are excellent elites with stats that rival the best units in the game.