PDA

View Full Version : The Horus Heresy and Apocalypse games

Iuchiban
18-12-2012, 08:31
I just received my new Horus Heresy book. It's really great and I find some of the models really fantastic (I specially like the Fellblade Superheavy tank).

I'm not planning to do play any Horus Heresy games, but I want to buy some models.

My question is, if it's legal to play with HH models and rules in standard Apoc games.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kijamon
18-12-2012, 08:38
Now I'm no apocalypse expert so I may be wrong but isn't the whole point of apocalypse that you can put anything GW in there for a laugh and a good time?

It really depends on your gaming group though. Some people might want to play a structured game of 10,000 points of Space Marines seeing off the combined Waagh and Dark Eldar threat that is heading for some planet.

Other people will prefer to field anything they can scrounge to have a random battle. "Oh look my allied baneblade just accidently scattered a cannon shot on top of my hive tyrant. Oops! Haha" kind of gaming.

In either case, I don't see why a fellblade couldn't have survived the heresy and be brought out when needed.

Sami
18-12-2012, 11:45
Apocalypse is pretty much "bring what you own". You can mix units from different books, throw out the FOC, etc. The only real limitations in apocalypse are the ones you decide with your group, which usually comes down to points level and narrative/theme.

Gaargod
18-12-2012, 16:45
Apocalypse is basically the least 'rulesey' of all game types. It's an excuse for everyone to bring whatever the hell they want (including their awesome toys like titans), then roughly adjust stuff to make it work.

That's not to say you can't actually make it a really competitive and balanced game. You can - you just have to be really strict with yourselves, and take actual sensible armies to an agreed points limit, rather than lobbing stuff at the table. For example, take 10 2000pts armies, then say 8000pts of big toys (i.e. Titans, superheavies, gargantuans, Primarchs), then stick them into 2 teams on some big ass tables, design a half decent scenario (hint: something like 7 or 8 turns, with loads of primary and secondary objectives) and watch the carnage (with a full day booked off). That can create a really decent and competitive game.

The way for that not to happen is when you say "Hey, let's play apocalypse in the remaining 5 hours that we have." People then tend to just lob everything on the table, with all the upgrades possible - and it turns into massively unbalanced 'WTF' fests. It's great for the guy with a Reaver titan with 4 Laser Destructors and half an armoured company, not so fun for the guy who turned up with 1000pts of random models.