PDA

View Full Version : Using 'Fallen' Marines

wyvirn
18-12-2012, 12:47
I'm trying to bulk up my CSM army with some Havocs. There seems to be a shortage of the models, however. Instead I opted to order the much more reasonable Devastator squad, which I think will work well with a little conversion. I figured that since chaos is a patchwork of marines, with some marines having new armor than others, that some chaos marines would have armor from the current pattern. My question is if I painted them appropriately to fit in with the rest of the CSM army and modeled WYSIWYG, would anyone have trouble realizing they were havocs? Or have any ideas to make it clear that they were?

Beppo1234
18-12-2012, 13:03
this seems like a silly question... if your army is uniformly painted, and the only difference is that they are using modern weapons, and wysiwyg , still allowed by the rules, then why wouldn't anyone recognize them as havocs?

wyvirn
18-12-2012, 13:05
I dunno, I just figured that if it can pass the internet's litmus test I'll be fine in just about any situation.

Eduard
18-12-2012, 14:38
I also used the dev sprue's mixed with chaos bits and pieces. Noone notices (well, almost noone).

Charistoph
18-12-2012, 14:53
I've had no complaints from my spikey Assault Marines that deploy as Raptors...

And was planning on doing this for my Havoks, also because my are still following the Codex Astartes Organization (for some obscure reason).

IcedCrow
18-12-2012, 15:06
Go for it.

Sir_Turalyon
18-12-2012, 15:11
Go for it. Try to mix SM and CSM bits in the same model to make them look less loyalist, and use extra CSM heads / shoulder pads in preference of loyalist ones. Likewise, if you have to use loyalist backpack, give it to models otherwise built from SM bits. Cover, cut away or mask with bulk of the weapons the chest aquillas.

budman
18-12-2012, 15:17
will it look cool?... if yes then yes 'Fallen' Marines are awesome.

Harbinger
18-12-2012, 18:52
I'm trying to bulk up my CSM army with some Havocs. There seems to be a shortage of the models, however. Instead I opted to order the much more reasonable Devastator squad, which I think will work well with a little conversion. I figured that since chaos is a patchwork of marines, with some marines having new armor than others, that some chaos marines would have armor from the current pattern. My question is if I painted them appropriately to fit in with the rest of the CSM army and modeled WYSIWYG, would anyone have trouble realizing they were havocs? Or have any ideas to make it clear that they were?

The use of loyalist marines gone renegade has been used for many years of conversions. You are in no danger.

If you really want them to stand out, get a razor and make some cuts along the imperial eagle, X out previous chapter markings, and paint Chaos glyphs onto the model.

Lastly, get converting and kill the loyalist scum!

Clang
19-12-2012, 05:16
So long as they're modelled/painted to look like they're Traitors, there should be no problem.

Polaria
19-12-2012, 05:44
I'm trying to bulk up my CSM army with some Havocs. There seems to be a shortage of the models, however. Instead I opted to order the much more reasonable Devastator squad, which I think will work well with a little conversion.

GW has done Chaos Space Wolves so I think using Devastator sprues is more than fair game... If it looks good on the table, I'm cool with it.

Sami
19-12-2012, 06:55
Power Armour? Check
Correct weapons? Check
Completely believable in fluff? Check ("hey guys check out this new power armour we ripped off the corpses of our enemies!")

Don't see the issue :)

Lothlanathorian
19-12-2012, 06:56
If it looks good on the table, I'm cool with it.

This is the most important rule in 40K.

Wishing
19-12-2012, 07:09
The use of loyalist marines gone renegade has been used for many years of conversions. You are in no danger.

Agreed. In one of the first WDs I ever bought, there was a picture of a unit of khornate marines that had been painted and converted by John Blanche, which were basically just loyalist marines with various fantasy empire bits stuck on to them, and they looked really cool.

The easiest way to get loyalists to look like chaos, I figure, is to replace the imperial heads with some horned chaos heads from the chaos sprues. Voila - no one will ever confuse them for anything but chaos marines.

Grenzstein
19-12-2012, 07:11
Just add spikes and crack the Aquila on the chest; easy. ;)

budman
19-12-2012, 07:51
Completely believable in fluff? Check ("hey guys check out this new power armour we ripped off the corpses of our enemies!")
Don't see the issue :)

Or "Hey guys, this is joe... he's just defected for the hot demon chicks"

Johnmclane
19-12-2012, 07:53
check these out

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/AUTOCANNON_SET.html
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/HEAVY_BOLTER_SET.html
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/SPAC__MARINE_SPECIAL_WEAPONS_PACK.html

With these you can probably get a more focused havoc squad for less :). Just add either FW marines or chaos marines.