PDA

View Full Version : Casual Card Games

Chucklemoney
22-12-2012, 08:03
Hi all

After a few games of Munchkin and having played Evil Baby Orphanage by Wyrd games the other day I find myself quite interested in picking up another few games of similar style and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations.

The only other one I have seen around is gloom which looks interesting to me.

Thanks

sigur
23-12-2012, 22:05
Give the Red Dragon Inn games a try. Always good for a laugh but roleplaying and reading the card titles out loudly is mandatory.

ColShaw
26-12-2012, 14:15
Bang! can be fun (spaghetti-western gunfight game). Also, there's an obscure golf-themed one called Golf Mania that I've enjoyed in the past.

Lord Cedric
26-12-2012, 14:50
Aside from Munchkin (my favorite casual card game) which OP mentioned already, Guillatine is pretty fun. Also I hear that Bohnanza, Bananagrams, Fluxx, and Zombie Dice are all fun games and quick to learn. A deviant from Zombie Dice that some of my friends have played is Martian Dice which is said to be a faster paced, but a bit less on-the-edge-of-your-seat than Zombie Dice.

- Lord Cedric

AquaSulis
26-12-2012, 21:52
My current favourite lighter card games are "Poison", "Bottle Imp" and "Hanabi".

sigur
27-12-2012, 17:31
Ah yes, I heard many great things about fluxx.

mrtn
27-12-2012, 20:09
Yeah, Fluxx is a great filler game, perfect if you're waiting for someone who's late or something.

Recently tried Love Letter, a pretty neat game with only 20 cards in the whole game! :eek:The idea is to send a love letter to the Princess, and you have different roles on the cards who rank differently. Really quite tactical, and not at all as silly as the game name makes it sound. :)

Edit: Let's Kill! is pretty fun as well, you're a serial killer and want to get as famous as possible, the more famous victim the better...

BTJ
28-12-2012, 13:48
A friend of mine has a game called Jungle Speed, which went down well with our group. It's basically a slightly more violent version of snap, where you have to grab a wooden totem first to give someone your cards if the top cards match. Ties are broken by pulling the totem out of the other player's hand.

Tarliyn
28-12-2012, 14:22
All of those are great games listed so far as is gloom. My girlfriend and I play A LOT of those kinds of games. Guilletine, Gloom, and catan dice our favorite. Don't overlook dice games too. Fun to play, easy to store, and easy to carry. Another thing not to overlook also if you are looking fot easy causual card games is the more easily
Available ones like skipbo and phase 10. We really enjoy phase 10 as well, its a rummy based game. There is a zombie version of rummy out there too that we play a lot but the name is escaping me right now. I am not at home but will look into when i get back. Also the back to the future card game is really fun too, that is based of flux I think though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chucklemoney
29-12-2012, 22:21
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I lie the sound of a lot of these and am quite sure one or two of them will be picked up in the not too distant future.

Shush
30-12-2012, 10:56
I played Chez Goth for the first time last week and that was a lot of fun with four people. We played another game of it right away :)

fgsfds-
19-03-2013, 09:02
Texas Zombies is another great game. The rules aren't complicated, you get to use your imagination and laugh alot. We play this often at parties because it's easy to set up and it won't take the whole evening to complete.

The Illuminati card game is propably the best casual card game I've played so far. It's not that complicated, but it usually takes a few games to get one to remember all the rules. There's the more simple version of the game for beginners, but playing the "harder" version with more rules is way much more fun. It's actually very similiar to Munchkin. You can cheat all you want as long as no-one notices and you can make all kinds of deals with other palyers.

Doi
20-03-2013, 00:40
Epic Spell Wars of The Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt Skullzfyre is one I picked up recently and it has been a smash hit amongst my group of mates. You make card combos to create spells to kill the other wizards in gory and/or hilarious ways.

Doi

Whitwort Stormbringer
20-03-2013, 08:47
If you like the humor and camp of Munchkin, then I'd recommend Ninja Burger, which is a silly game about working for a burger shop that employs ninjas to deliver burgers to unlikely localities (Tibetan Shrine, Spy Conference, Nuclear Submarine, etc.). Very silly, fun, tongue-in-cheek game and a lot like Munchkin. There are also, of course, so many variations on Munchkin that that game alone can keep you occupied nearly forever.

Kamenya
21-03-2013, 19:24
Chez geek and fluxx are both great card games, and both are available in several different plavours. I've also heard good things about bonhanza and lost cities even though I haven't played those myself. If you are thinking about gloom and have an interest in Lovecraft there is a cthulhu version that's very good.

iguano
24-03-2013, 07:51
There's a recommendation earlier for Bang! and I would like to throw in Samurai Swords, which is an updated version of the Bang! system. I showed the game to my group and they quickly voted it as their favorite over Bang!, which was their old favorite. Streamlined system, everyone gets to participate until the end....

Poseidal
24-06-2013, 21:49
Recently tried Love Letter, a pretty neat game with only 20 cards in the whole game! :eek:The idea is to send a love letter to the Princess, and you have different roles on the cards who rank differently. Really quite tactical, and not at all as silly as the game name makes it sound. :)

2nd on Love Letter. Simple, but turns out to be a very interesting game.

There's also Coup, but that uses tokens so may not count as a card game per se.

BigRob
25-06-2013, 19:53
Monty Python Fluxx, Braggart and Aye! Dark Overlord are all brilliant games and will fill hours of boredom.

A friend has an ancient game called Plague and Pestilence which is also fantastic but sadly out of print so very difficult to get hold of.

Dakkagor
03-07-2013, 11:08
revenge of the B movie is a great game about building B movie titles from cards. When you can score points from a movie titled 'Revenge of the Snakes from Mars' you know you're playing a quality game.

Scythe
13-09-2013, 12:05
I've had quite some fun with Smash Up lately. Easy basic rules, though specific cards quickly complicate the game. Basically, you throw two predesigned decks together, and compete with the other players to break bases and score points that way. Fractions are inspired by all kind of popular culture trope things, like Pirates, Ninjas, Robots, Dinosaurs, Wizards, Steampunks, and even Bear Cavalry.

MasterDecoy
18-09-2013, 01:59
As it has not been mentioned yet to the best of my knowledge: cold war: cia vs kgb. An awesome 2 player bluffing game. Check out my review of the game in my review thread.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

BTJ
22-09-2013, 21:06
Played Sentinels of the Multiverse a couple of weeks ago. Basically it's a co-op where everyone is a superhero and you win by beating the villain. It's fun, and at least for me and my group it made a nice change of pace, the games we play usually involve a heavy amount of back-stabbing and the like

ccowan
12-06-2014, 05:01
GUBS is a very fast but fun and strategic card game. Very addicting and nice art work and creativity.

Poseidal
12-06-2014, 09:46
What about A Fool's Fortune?

dominic_star
14-06-2014, 10:22
I am very in to GOSU at the moment. Just as well as it took ages to get hold of a copy for a fair price!

zzorrann
31-07-2014, 20:18
that's a good game

Hokiecow
04-09-2014, 20:11
Has anyone tried Boss Monster? They have a kick starter to port the card game to an e game. Was thinking about backing it to get the original game.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brotherwise/boss-monster-dungeon-building-card-game-for-ios-an

lorelorn
06-09-2014, 06:31
Epic Spell Wars of The Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt Skullzfyre is one I picked up recently and it has been a smash hit amongst my group of mates. You make card combos to create spells to kill the other wizards in gory and/or hilarious ways.
Doi

I have to echo this recommendation (tbh I quoted so I don't have to re-type the title!) as well as Love Letter, Bohnanza, and Gloom.

Also 7 Wonders comes in a board game sized box but if effectively a card game - there are no pieces only cards.

Hokiecow
07-09-2014, 02:01
I don't know if i would classify 7 wonders as a card game. It requires marker tokens and boards for each civilization with different characteristics.

lorelorn
12-09-2014, 00:08
Honestly it's no different from something like Epic Spell Wars, where each player has a card for their life total, dead wizard counters, a life tracker, and so on. In 7 Wonders you have a city card, and VP tokens.

Afrozombie
21-10-2014, 11:51
I Will always be an avivid lover of YU-GI-Oh what a card game, when it first came out it really helped bring big deck stratagy into card battle games.

spartanlaw
23-10-2014, 11:59
Boss Monster is very popular right now. AEG is putting out a ton of new quick play card games in the vein of Love Letter. Cypher is currently one of my favorites.

BattleofDurak
18-11-2014, 16:39
"Durak" is a great casual card game. It uses 36 playing cards and is played with 2-4 players. 2-6 players with full 56 card deck. 10-20 minute "mini" battles and easy to learn.