PDA

View Full Version : Mutant Monstrosity Mark II

Zerstoren
18-05-2006, 06:17
Preface

I say Mark II, because I typed up this thread last night, but I was logged out somehow as I typed and then lost everything I'd written.

Also - I am much chagrined to say I have no pics at this moment. That will change soon, I should get them sometime tomorrow.

And some quick background. I started Warhammer in late August of last year. I've never painted anything nor played a wargame before, so it's been a learning experience the whole way through. I've decided to focus more on modelling and painting than the actual gaming aspect. Currently, I have a Vampire Counts and a Chaos Dwarf army. For my first big project, I've decided to make a Mutant Monstrosity.

As for what I've done so far...

First mutation - Two heads are better than one
Very simple conversion, if I do say so. All I did was take the horned head and the bearded head, do some tilting so they're both looking off to the sides, and glue. In retrospect, I should have done something with the head-placement guide on the neck prior to gluing them on, because that's now very visible. I think I can probably GS something in there, though. The horned head is facing down the length of his left arm, the bearded head is looking a little down and to the right.

Second mutation - Handy to have in the Horde
Another simple conversion. This was adding in a second right arm. In the normal arm place, I put the long arm, which will be holding the chain+masonry. On the shoulder, a little above and behind it, I glued the other right arm after cutting off the tab. To cover up the gap, I did some melted flesh between the shoulder and the second arm. I considered sticking the arm on a paperclip and moving it out a little, but I didn't think I'd quite be up to sculpting half an arm. This arm will be holding either the Lord Farmington (gravestone club) or a the club with the swords in it.

Third mutation - An extra mouth to feed
This is my most adventurous, and thus, most conspicuous conversion. I took my trust modelling knife, and cut off the giant's belly all around it's perimeter. Then I cleaned the edges a bit, turned it over, and glued it back in as best I could, backwards. So, an inverted gut - what could that possibly be for? Well, it's going to be a huge gaping mouth. Right now I'm in the process of smoothing out the joints with greenstuff. No easy task - I can fit my finger through the gap at the top.

So that's what's been done so far. As for what's going to happen, I haven't given much thought to anything but the mouth for a while. Right now I'm trying to decide whether it should have rows of teeth like the Sarlac pit from Star Wars, or if it should have a bunch of groping arms from the zombie and mutation sprues instead.

After that, I'm going to shoot for a tentacle (or three) coming off of somewhere, grabbing the running man from the sprue, and drawing him towards the big mouth.

I'm quite enjoying this project, it's forcing me to develop some greenstuff skills as well as more creative mind for modelling.

But, I guess there isn't much you can make in the way of comments until I have some pictures - which will be soon, hopefully. Until then, I guess, any comments or suggestions for additional mutations will be much appreciated.

KayvaanShrike
18-05-2006, 10:22
Sounds good, nice to see your prepared to be so adventurous on your conversions this early in the hobby, and they sound good! Hope to see some pics soon!

Rabid Bunny 666
18-05-2006, 10:32
After that, I'm going to shoot for a tentacle (or three) coming off of somewhere, grabbing the running man from the sprue, and drawing him towards the big mouth.

as long as they don't originate from the Groin area, it shold be cool

i'd go for Rows of teeth as it would look way cooler

and kudos on the username :)

Zerstoren
20-05-2006, 15:25
My goodness, if you want something done at all, you have to do it yourself...

I finally have some pictures, and, here they are:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v259/WebsterJAC/Warhammer/Mutant%20Monstrosity/

So, comments, suggestions, and so forth, please. I should be able to get some more work done on it today once I devise a way to fill those huge top/bottom gaps around the mouth without using a metric fudgeton of greenstuff.

Thanks!

biggreengribbly
20-05-2006, 15:52
So, comments, suggestions, and so forth, please. I should be able to get some more work done on it today once I devise a way to fill those huge top/bottom gaps around the mouth without using a metric fudgeton of greenstuff.

well, if it's supposed to be a mouth, don't fill it up too much. Leave a hole so it looks deep and dark.

(btw, is metric 'fudge':D - ton a regular term or do I smell a fan of 2 the Ranting Gryffon (sp?) in here?)

Zerstoren
20-05-2006, 20:58
Now for an actual response to those who've been kind enough to comment...

Sounds good, nice to see your prepared to be so adventurous on your conversions this early in the hobby, and they sound good! Hope to see some pics soon!

Adventurous indeed. My other plan was a cyborg Chaos Dwarf giant with the hellcannon barrel on one arm, plus assorted mechanical bitz all over. I may very well do that if this one turns out well. I ventured into the miniatures hobby to paint, and looking at other people's armies in my age group (13-16), nobody in my geographical area seems to put a great deal of effort into it - thus, I simply had to commit to having an interesting, appealing army to the limit of my skill.

as long as they don't originate from the Groin area, it shold be cool

i'd go for Rows of teeth as it would look way cooler

and kudos on the username :)

Yeah, I was planning on having them originate from around or inside the mouth. I'm still debating the teeth/arms things. What would you suggest I make the teeth out of? Going along the Sarlac line, they'd be long and thin, so perhaps paperclips?

My username? Yes, I thought it was a suitably dramatic handle.

well, if it's supposed to be a mouth, don't fill it up too much. Leave a hole so it looks deep and dark.

(btw, is metric 'fudge':D - ton a regular term or do I smell a fan of 2 the Ranting Gryffon (sp?) in here?)

You know, I hadn't at all realized that until you pointed it out. I'm going to fill the top gap (the biggest one) for sure, but now that you mention it, the bottom gap might make a good basis for the mouth if I move the edge up a little so it becomes visible. Also, one might notice the melty plastic spot in the middle of the mouth from where I glued on a piece of sprue to hold it - that should be covered with something as well.

Ranting Gryffon? What is that? Normally I use a more... colorful word instead of fudge if I'm being annoyed by a large quantity of something, but I couldn't remember Warseer language policy when I wrote that. It's roughly 1.6774 Imperial Fudgetons, by the way.

Also, the back is very bare. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to put on his back? I thought about hook/ring piercings, with a banner hanging off of them. But hunger and consumption seem to be a theme with this guy. It might not be apparent from the pictures I posted, but if I put the hand holding the human on his left arm, it looks like the horned head is getting ready to take a bite out of him.

EDIT: Is it possible to add a poll after I made the original post?

biggreengribbly
21-05-2006, 00:44
Ranting Gryffon? What is that? Normally I use a more... colorful word instead of fudge if I'm being annoyed by a large quantity of something, but I couldn't remember Warseer language policy when I wrote that. It's roughly 1.6774 Imperial Fudgetons, by the way.

I'm aware it is a censored statment. 2 the ranting Griffon is some American who makes dowloadable sound files of himself ranting about stuff. A big favourite of mine! But rather un PG13, so I'll not talk about it any longer!

Stouty
21-05-2006, 12:48
Very nice giant, looking forward to see it progress.

The thing that got me was the CD steampunk giant idea, sounds...amazing.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-05-2006, 18:52
teeth? you could just use cocktail Sticks, they're everywhere and suitably spiky

Zerstoren
22-05-2006, 05:11
Cocktail sticks... Yes, that could work. I'm actually leaning towards the arms right now, the image of tortured arms groping for a meal they'll never taste evokes a sort of pathos in me. Unfortunetly, before I can get the sprues, I need to do one of two things:

1) 1.5 - 2.0 hour drive to nearest GW store and bitz order a mutation sprue, make the order, drive back. Experience has taught me that after waiting two months, GW will finally call me to tell me that what I've ordered is out of stock, then call me again with opposite news, only for me to go there and find I've received a completly different order. Granted, that's only happened once, but I felt like relating the story ;)

2) Wait for my tiny local gaming club to amass $150 in bitz orders so the kind rogue trader can order them.

Otherwise, now that I've filled in the top gap, I've reached an impasse. I have to make a choice as to where the depth of the mouth will go. I can either make it slope down and go into the bottom gap, or somehow make it work in the middle of the mouth.