PDA

View Full Version : Heldrake Conversion

ExxonValdez
28-12-2012, 03:01
This is a conversion I made using only bits from the Heldrake box, I actually had quite a bit left over when I was finished. Most of the left over bits were the head, the weapons, a pair of smaller wings, the vestigial limbs and their armour and the sweet backbone bit I plan on using elsewhere.

A bit of cutting and joining was necessary to make the wings into long single pieces, afterwards I simply reversed the body of the Heldrake. The "eye sockets" have been left open as I plan on sticking an LED inside for some lighting.

From the very beginning the dinosaur look all the new chaos toys have been given has not appealed to me. I liked the look of this kit but hated the head and then while I was cutting pieces off the sprue I realized what the rear end looks like. Its a gaping maw with teeth and the cables are feeder tendrils. In the true sense of chaos animating an inanimate object.

Hope you like it, I will try to get it painted in the next couple weeks.

http://s1107.beta.photobucket.com/user/davidvondoom/library/?

Grubnar
29-12-2012, 16:23
Interesting!

Like you, I am not a fan of the Helldrake ... but I really like what you have done. It would be noce to see it after painting.

GotrekFan
29-12-2012, 23:32
It's amazing why you have done with the kit. It's not my cup of tea, but then again I actually like the Helldrake.
Perhaps I'll change my mind when it's painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synthetic Biologist
29-12-2012, 23:41
It looks much better this way, almost Cthulhu-like. This make it seem much more like a creation of the Dark Mechanicus, rather than a dino-bot.

Well done! :chrome:

Giganthrax
29-12-2012, 23:57
A goddamn giant screamer. oO

ExxonValdez
30-12-2012, 03:57
It is much like a screamer, unfortunately I am probably playing a Khorne list. I actually took into account the look of the conversion before I settled on Khorne because it is very Tzeentch looking and to a lesser extent Slaanesh but I have a real problem with the mark of Tzeentch. 2 points for a 6 plus invulnerable save just isn't enough incentive for me. I am a mono god kind of player. i build all my armies based on fluff before meta.

agurus1
30-12-2012, 04:33
just one thing. I would try to turn around the back and tail barb/fins/spikes so that they are facing in the same direction of that awesome fin at the end of the "tail" :) other than that its flipping awesome man, inspiring!

Edit:
after a second look, I almost wish you hadn't included the backward half of the "wings". If it was just the forward section it might make the creature look more looming. As it is it kind of takes away from the tail.

Mage
31-12-2012, 19:30
That is one disturbing looking Heldrake, very good stuff!

Flame Boy
01-01-2013, 02:36
Nice. I like the Heldrake model, but I though "mechanical dragon" seems a bit uninspired for a daemon engine. You've made it more into a warped machine rather than a WFB kit with rivets. :p

sulla
01-01-2013, 03:50
Great model!