PDA

View Full Version : Of Miscasts and Buildings

Frost57
31-12-2012, 20:36
In a fight I had with a friend recently, we rolled up the watchtower scenario. During the battle, several things came up that I wanted to look into later. First, when a template such as purple sun hits a building, how do you determine who is hit? It is not quite like a normal template, as there are no hits, and what of heroes and the like?

The second question arose when he rolled a miscast, and it made the small template focus on his caster, and hit all under it (including the caster). To move along, we ruled that it went with the normal d6 hits, but he argued that it would not hit the wizard as it was then distributed as shooting, but the miscast explicitly said the caster would be hit. How would you have ruled it?

Any citations are appreciated, or general conclusions. This feels to me a situation that was not forseen, but understandably so. If it is like my friend says, then garrisoning is even better for wizards than I thought.

JDV311
31-12-2012, 20:52
Pretty easy question actually. Any template that hits the unit inside the building suffers d6 hits. If the miscast result says the wizard takes a hit then he takes the hit.

Frost57
31-12-2012, 21:25
But even ones that do not do hits, such as purple sun? We ran it as such, but it was the wizard bit that irked me the most (he argued against, I argued for). Thanks, just wanted other views. Will do as such for future games.

dementian
01-01-2013, 00:13
Is purple sun a template? Yes. Follow rules for template hitting a building. D6 hits to the unit inside.

kramplarv
01-01-2013, 11:25
If someone rolls the "hit everyone in base contact", how do we resolve it? Are any of the models inside a house in BtB?

T10
01-01-2013, 17:19
The the closest thing is the Special Attacks section of the Building rules: Models are assumed to be in base contact with exactly one enemy model during an Assault.

Is the model in contact with anyone else? The building rules do not address the issue.

-T10

Bloodedsoul
01-01-2013, 19:34
I see it in two diffrent ways, usually the unit is set aside (or on top of the building), you can see who is actually touching the wizard(how we've played it in the past) but I have heard the argument that the wizard is off in a corner by himself, or on another floor/in the outhouse when the miscast happened, so no one is in basecontact. I prefer the first but can see the merit to the second (though I demand if he's in the outhouse there be a spectaculiar explosion).

Blkc57
02-01-2013, 03:18
I prefer the first but can see the merit to the second (though I demand if he's in the outhouse there be a spectaculiar explosion).

That wasn't a miscast, it was burrito night at the College of Magic

thesoundofmusica
02-01-2013, 11:08
I dont see how the wizard could not be hit by his own miscast if the miscast table says he is hit. Just sounds like wishful thinking on your friends part. There is no need to compromise or feel bad and give him something just because. The wizard is hit period.

RejjeN
02-01-2013, 12:42
We play that the wizard takes 1 of the D6 hits without LOS, as that's what he would suffer outside a building. What misscasting in a building does is prevent you from wiping out half your bunker in one bad magic phase.