PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War

blitz589
09-06-2005, 02:15
Does anyone here play Dawn of war and what's your favourite race?

neXus6
09-06-2005, 03:45
I think your probably going to find a HEAP of people who do play it.
Though maybe putting "Dawn of War" rather than Dow would have been better.

I've played the game a few times at a friends (and, if I do say so myself I am rather good).

My favourite races are Marines of both flavours, if I owned the game I'd lean to use Eldar or Orks but as it is I go for the simple ones. Massed marines, massed landspeeders and massed Dreads are favourite Loyalist tactics, backed up by a good old fasioned tech to terminators if the map allows.
However Chaos at the moment are hidiously easy to win with, there are a number of rushes that are just brutal under the current patch. Most notable Defilers which are just sick and wrong. I saved a replay and teched to defilers as fast as possible, got the first one out in under 5 minutes and seeing as one can take an army on, and I tend to get a 2nd or 3rd out before it dies, it just kills suff. There are a few other fun tactics I know about as well. Unfortunatly my win % is only about 75 becuase I play team games with random people and I've been with some that really sucked, or simply dropped.

Tyra_Nid
09-06-2005, 04:31
Blitz- there is an edit function. Please use it in the future...

I have been known to play DoW. Started with Orks, moved to Chaos, done a bit of Eldar too.

Possessed are UTTERLY lethal.

Baggers
09-06-2005, 07:14
I bought the game on its release, and as of yet still have to play it.

Cypher
09-06-2005, 07:30
Its good fun. I like to stick to vanilla marines, although will no doubt go for IG when Winter Assault is released. My favourite tactic is to attack with a combination of armoured vehicles, and then use drop pods to bring a whole pile of infantry in :D

Sgt John Keel
09-06-2005, 09:54
I play it too. Always Eldar, but I'll try out IG after the expansion. My win record sucks right now because they deleted my stats. It's about 16% or so now. :D

/Adrian

Rob
09-06-2005, 10:02
I play Orks. I'm addicted to the game. I mostly do 1v1 ladder automatch. I'm always on the Relic forums too trying to get a good strat going so I can keep my score in the 1200 range. It's been tough since the 1.3 patch.

PS: I hate the Eldar. Those Warp Spiders are way overpowered.

philbrad2
09-06-2005, 19:31
Yup playing since the beta last year. With a name like Warsmith_KANG you can guess my main army, but frequently use Imp. Fist Marines and Ulthwe Eldar. As well as some of the mods. Tau are cool but Daemonhunters is currently the daddy of DoW mods.

:chrome:

MidnightResistance
09-06-2005, 21:03
I play now and again.

Due to my connection not being amazing and not having that much RAM, it takes forever to load up for an online game and by then people drop out while I'm still loading...

Not good :S

So I occasionally play against friends. I mostly play against the compy when I really want a game of 40K, but there's no one about to play. That's the main reason I bought the game.

Arnizipal
09-06-2005, 21:37
I'm currecntly just skirmishing against the computer until I'm good enough to go online.
Any tips for a noob Ork player?

Also, is there a way to turn buildings? My Waaagh! Banners often piont the wrong way...

Inquis. Jaeger
09-06-2005, 22:24
Usually play Marines or Chaos. Can't wait for Winter Assault though!

neXus6
09-06-2005, 22:54
Unfortunatly there a not really any tips for new Ork players as Orks have been pretty much rendered impotent by the new patch save for a very few devious rushing tactics.

@Rob You hate warp spiders....why, there are ONLY good against Orks so as far as balance goes their not to bad. If I was an ork player I'd be more offended by my race having pretty much 0 anti-tank abbilities and the fact that one defiler can destroy a whole ork base in about 30 seconds flat.

MidnightResistance
09-06-2005, 22:58
I've got a good tactic.
You build a big mek as fast as possible and send him straight into the enemy base. While you tie up all his forces and everything he's doing, you can capture objectives, build more units and just keep on rushing him with more units (preferably before your big mek dies) and he won't stand a chance.

neXus6
09-06-2005, 23:18
Yeah, you really do have to rush your butt off with Orks.
That tactic works if they are teching but if they are rushing as well I could see it failing, if they have 2 squads out and are good at micromanagement it won't work. You try to attack 1 squad it runs away while the other shoots you, you target the other one and they run, etc,etc till you big mechs dead, and you would have to pay constant attention to the fight or he would simply die without killing anything thus stopping you ordering troops to cap points and build more.

New Cult King
10-06-2005, 01:45
I play against the computer a lot, and have played a couple of team LAN games with a friend.

I usually play Marines, because I like trying out different armour colour combinations. I can't seem to get the hang of Eldar, I'm pretty good with Orks, and I like Chaos...

I don't have the latest patches cos I only have a dialup connection and don't play online, so it doesn't really affect me.

I really love this game, really and truly. Winter Assault will be mine. Relic have really shone with Dawn of War.

The boyz
11-06-2005, 10:35
I do play Dawn of War but not online. I normally play as the Space Marines and occasionally Orks. But when the expansion Pack comes out I will be mainly playing as the Imperial Guard.

Forgotmytea
11-06-2005, 11:23
I love Dawn of War. I don't play online much (Tzeentch79 - that's me), as half the time it freezes up on the loading screen. I don't know which army I prefer - lots of Assault Marines, lots of Possessed & a Sorcerer, Speed-freek style, or jump in with the Warp spiders and thr Farseer + bodyguard. Has anyone used the Daemonhunters mod? That is amazing.... :D :) :evilgrin:

-Forgotmytea

x-esiv-4c
11-06-2005, 14:45
I love the game, a really good RTS. I play Chaos, usually my own chapter: Failures of the Codex.

Kelroth
11-06-2005, 15:22
FMT, I just picked up that Daemonhunters mod... damn, that thing is fun. ^.^

x-esiv-4c
11-06-2005, 15:23
Does anyone have any news about the expansion pack? What was it? Winter assault or something.

Rich
12-06-2005, 12:16
All I know about Winter Assault is that it introduces IG as a playable race and features Baneblades!!!

I like DoW a lot, although I have never successfully installed a patch - always says they are incompatible with my version (damn!)

I normally play IF SMs, but mostly because I like the quotes the SM commander gives - although the Chaos quotes are damn good also: "Do You hear the voices too?"

athamas
12-06-2005, 12:22
I have played DOW since the beta was released, but cant play online at uni :(

My name was/is Athamas...

and i play eldar!

Best Map IMO is the 3 vs3! all aout battle, with objectives!
so much fun,..... but i always suport ppl!

{i have never had so much fun as watching a SM player try to dread drop assult me, only to find 30 brightlance platforms waiting for him... which insta kill his dreads so fast he basicly did not realise what was happening!}

Yin - Yang
12-06-2005, 13:57
Love Dawn of War...and I'm happy with any race, although I must admit when Winter Assault comes out, I'll without a doubt be a IG player, becasue the free Guardsmen in DOW are so much fun.....gotta love the cannon fodder.
Yin - Yang

neXus6
12-06-2005, 17:20
I must say I love the Kasyr map with the bridges cause it makes any tactic possible, you can rush or tech, and it's 3 V 3 which is indeed the best.
I lost my first game with my account after the reset on this map though, I was playing with random people, one was okay the other was in the middle of our 3, he built 2 thermoplasma generators right at the start then didn't put listening posts on any of his points and didn't even capture the one just outside his base.
When the game was was about to end, as I was getting the final full attack, I described why we'd lost to the other team and they found it rather funny after crys of "Really!? :p

x-esiv-4c
12-06-2005, 18:15
Yeah, the baneblade is going to rock. What other units are going to be introduced?

Antaeus
12-06-2005, 20:07
Marines get Chaplains, Chaos get Khorne Berserkers, Orks get Mega armour Nobs and Eldar get Fire Dragons. Should be interesting. There's a video that was shown at E3 showing the new units in action. Not sure Marines need another character, but it was entertaining to see him slaughter his way through a horde of Cultists single-handedly. Fire Dragons, as you might expect, are excellent against vehicles (the video shows them cleaning up about 5 Ork Buggies in a matter of seconds), Mega armour Nobs are about what you'd expect, same with Berzies.

Edit: One Trailer linkage (http://www.thq.co.uk/pages/article?ArtIndex=333) for you, sirs! *salutes*

blitz589
12-06-2005, 20:27
Those mega armored nobs are pretty powerful. Each one cant take a space marine squad out in like 5 seconds, and the ogryns look good to.

Rich
12-06-2005, 20:42
The Imperial Guard definately get sentinels, ogryns, chimera, baneblade and commissar.

I'm not sure about other races, but we shall see. Antaeus sounds like he knows what he's talking about there.

Thousandth Son
14-06-2005, 05:10
I play Dawn of War, but not enough to be seriously any good. But do you guys pay any attention to the mods? I currently have the Demon Hunters, which is ok, even if it is not complete. Of course I personally look forward to the completion of the Thousand Sons mod. :evilgrin:

When Black Roses Bloom
14-06-2005, 07:41
Why don't you chek out with Dawn Of War files? The guys there have created tons of mods for the game: Deamon Hunters, Tau, Gray Knights and stuff like that. You can download them and istall the mod so you can play with the specified race/division.

http://dawnofwar.filefront.com/

Edit:

LOL. This is the pic of the day:

Imperial Guardsmen show off their new antigravity boots to the new recruits

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/59/potd/1117839140.jpg

Catterjee
14-06-2005, 07:49
My connection sucks too hard to play online, but in skirmishes vs the computer I favor Chaos.

Rob
14-06-2005, 11:06
Marines get Chaplains, Chaos get Khorne Berserkers, Orks get Mega armour Nobs and Eldar get Fire Dragons. Should be interesting. There's a video that was shown at E3 showing the new units in action. Not sure Marines need another character, but it was entertaining to see him slaughter his way through a horde of Cultists single-handedly. Fire Dragons, as you might expect, are excellent against vehicles (the video shows them cleaning up about 5 Ork Buggies in a matter of seconds), Mega armour Nobs are about what you'd expect, same with Berzies.

Edit: One Trailer linkage (http://www.thq.co.uk/pages/article?ArtIndex=333) for you, sirs! *salutes*

Even though the Edar are pretty overpowered it'll be cool to see firedragons in action. And they better not be Teir 1!! :mad:

Since I'm an Ork player I'm sure Mega armour Nobs will be Tier 3 which means you'll rarely see them in a 1v1 automatch.

Rob
14-06-2005, 11:10
My connection sucks too hard to play online, but in skirmishes vs the computer I favor Chaos.

The mods on the Relic forums have been saying all along that a 56K phoneline should not cause lag during gameplay even during a 4v4. What causes lag is having your graphic settings maxed out on a slow ass pc.

Antaeus
14-06-2005, 12:43
The Daemonhunters Mod doesn't like me. Looks so promising too :(

Kargos Bloodspit
14-06-2005, 13:32
I play Eldar the most. But I also play as Space Marines quite a fair bit

I was under the impression that the Tau mod wasn't released yet? Or am I completely mistaken? Anyway, i'm looking forward to the Tyranid mod.

Azazel
18-06-2005, 14:03
Chaos is my favorite race on DOW. I did have a 90% win ratio with 5 Stars (190 wins out of 205 games). That was before the stats reset, now I can barly be bothered to play online. If you do Skirmish then all the computers fight to the death, and no one drops.

Xavier
18-06-2005, 19:34
Stupid spooge error..

Grand Warlord
18-06-2005, 22:06
I have not played it in awhile and am very rusty... curse you standard orks.

i just wish they would update the army painter so I could half and half my units like my actual army.

Nazguire
18-06-2005, 23:32
Chaos is my favorite race on DOW. I did have a 90% win ratio with 5 Stars (190 wins out of 205 games). That was before the stats reset, now I can barly be bothered to play online. If you do Skirmish then all the computers fight to the death, and no one drops.

That's pretty good I must say.

I'm a loyal Space Marines player. In Blood Raven/Space Wolves colours of course :evilgrin:

I'm getting better, I'm 50/50 at the moment, but I don't play too terribly often (have to go to a LAN cafe to do it :cries: )