PDA

View Full Version : GW Classic Recasts: A viable business for GW?

Ghudra
05-01-2013, 03:39
Even if you don't spend much time on eBay, it's getting hard to ignore the hundreds of recasts of older GW minis pumped out on a weekly basis. Diaz Seekers of Slaanesh, Chaos Dwarf MM90s, Dogs of War, Blood Bowl teams, & anything that might have once been a "Limited Edition" or "Unreleased" are seeing their numbers grow well beyond the original sanctioned production.

Given the love, expressed in cash, that these recasters are feeling, would it not make sense for GW to reboot some of these old lines? I've even seen sets of '90s Hobgoblin recasts & Forest Goblins easily go for $$$ that seemingly would make sense for a GW reissue.

Caiphas Cain
05-01-2013, 04:04
Well then it wouldn't be special anymore, would it?

zoggin-eck
05-01-2013, 04:28

Ordering supposedly special models only to find they are cheap copies is less special. I've never cared for the whole "this model is rare!" thing anyway. I bought a 2nd hand model of Tom Meier's zombie dragon recently just because it's cool, not because it was an old/rare model. (OK, the next week I noticed you can still buy it new from Grenadier, who also held the rights to it, and still do, for a little less than I paid for it!)

There are plenty of models I'd love to buy again, and would pay a decent amount for "new" rather than painted by a 10 year-old second hand :) Like they've said, it isn't cost-effective having the whole range on demand, but any new "classic" models re-released would be ace.

Closest thing (recently) GW have to judge the popularity would be the Chaos Dwarf monsters reappearing after so many years with Storm of Magic.

Ghudra
05-01-2013, 04:46

Frankly, the aforementioned models aren't special anymoreunless you have them in the blister or bought them yourself originally. One recaster had over 220 Diaz Seekers sold & that is but one of several who regularly auctions those particular models. Older Blood Bowl minis practically rain from the sky at this point.

The collector enthusiasm is obviously there, so it seems to make good sense for GW to make some $$$ on it's own stuff. It even follows with the precedent set by some of the other "Collector's" minis on GW's site.;)

olberon
05-01-2013, 08:15
lol... i just bought 5 old blisters of daemonettes on our local ebay for next to nothing dumping them on ebay as soon as i have them hoping to make some cash to buy me a few boxes of the new plastic ones!