PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Spells and Multiple Remains in Play Spells

Figment187
09-01-2013, 04:25
Wondering if I could get any feedback on a question/problem I ran into gaming against my roomate. Can you or can you not have the same spell on multiple wizards. In the magic list in the back of the rule book it has some very weird rules. Let me explain what happened and what I have read so far from the errata on games workshop.

I was running WoC and my roomate had High Elves. He took Teclis as he always does so I took Vilitich as a partial counter. I also had two other sorceres both tzeentch. As they are Tzeentch they can only have Tzeencth spells. Vilitich has all the spells form Tzeentch and I rolled randomly for the other two. I waited on my magic phase until my roomate was out of dispel dice and cast Pandimonium on Vilitich and again on one of my sorcerers, to try and slow down Teclis and all the ridiculous irresistable forces. He said he didn't think I could do it, I asked him to show me where it said I couldn't, and he could not. So I looked up in the Errata from games workshop on the WoC. In the eratta it has a section about casting multiples of a remains in play spell called Curse of the Leper( which would mean multiple wizards would have to have it). Not only did it say you could do it, it also said that its effects were cumulitive. So after all that we just rolled off to be fair and I won so they both stayed in play. Was just wondering if anyone else had any experience/and or knowledge to shed on this subject and sorry for the long post. Thanks.

quietus1986
09-01-2013, 04:48
lore masters don't count to the random role's. if you put Count Mannfred ( lord version ) , Heinrich Kemmler and 2 lvl 4 vamp, necro ( with vampire lore on the tabel you will have every spell of the vampire lore 3 time's. so you can cast every spel 3 time's the remain in play but ever wizerd can only cast it one's. and I did it one's with curse of years 2 time's on one unit. so I hade to roll for every moddel 2 time's but we sad you rolled one first and than the second and not 2 time's for every moddel ath the stat of the face.

Figment187
09-01-2013, 06:31
Lore masters not counting towards the random roles makes much more sense, besides the fact that they don't role obviously. I was just trying to wrap my head around the rules on duplicate spells and couldn't really find anything solid on the ruling. Is that by chance listed under Lore Master in the rule book as I don't have the book with me at the moment? Thanks for the help quietus1986.

Kalandros
09-01-2013, 06:58
Its listed in the rolling for spells rules.

Metacarpi
09-01-2013, 07:12
It's my understanding that, loremaster aside, if you have two Level 2 mages using the same lore, and you roll the same spells, you pick your second spells in the same way you would if you rolled all 4 spells the same on a Level 4.

Another exception is if it states that a character or model can specifically swap a spell out for another.

For example, Skaven Warlock Engineers have a special rule saying that they can swap any spell they roll for Warp Lighting. So you can have multiple Warlock Engineers with Warp Lightning.

Grey Seers can also swap any spell for Skitterleap, so if you've already rolled that on another caster, you can take it again on your Grey Seer, should you desire.

Lord Zarkov
09-01-2013, 07:26
It's my understanding that, loremaster aside, if you have two Level 2 mages using the same lore, and you roll the same spells, you pick your second spells in the same way you would if you rolled all 4 spells the same on a Level 4.

Another exception is if it states that a character or model can specifically swap a spell out for another.

For example, Skaven Warlock Engineers have a special rule saying that they can swap any spell they roll for Warp Lighting. So you can have multiple Warlock Engineers with Warp Lightning.

Grey Seers can also swap any spell for Skitterleap, so if you've already rolled that on another caster, you can take it again on your Grey Seer, should you desire.

This is the case - the only spells that can be duplicated are a) ones that are determined at the army list stage (loremasters, 7th ed Necros, etc), or b) ones you can swap to (signature spells, warp lightning for warlock engineers, etc). Otherwise you get to pick.

If you do get multiple copies of a spell somehow (either though one of those methods, or through a bound spell) then you can cast both in the same turn, even if a RiP spell.

Figment187
10-01-2013, 09:25
Thanks for the info all. Much appreciated.