PDA

View Full Version : Quick Assessment - VC

Warrior of Chaos
09-01-2013, 17:56
Greetings all,

I have an upcoming game this Sunday with my VC versus a friend's Ogres. Currently my army is very small and I have limited choices. Can you guys give me some advice on how to deal with his Ogres based on what I have listed? He has a very nice selection of capabilities since Ogres are his primary army. I full well expect to take a beating, but do you think I can win based off of my less than steller troops available? I still need to get my big GG unit ordered, but it won't be available anytime soon.

What I have (quick shorthand summary for 1250pt game):

Vampire; level 1 -Lore Vamps, Aura of Dark Majesty, HA, Sh, Ogre Blade

Necro; level 2 - Lore Vamps, Master of Dead

x20 Zombies
x20 Zombies
x30 Skellies w/ HW/Sh, FC
x20 Ghouls
x3 Vargeist
x1 Vargulf
x2 Spirit Host
x1 Hexwraith unit

I have a unit of Blood Knights in the works and a spare Spirit Host, but this is my 3rd Army and I have not had time to get all the tasty units that I want yet.

His list will probably have:
Firebelly
Butcher

x6 Iron Guts
x6 Ogres
Leadbelchers - he has like 8-12 available
Mournfang
x20-30 Gnoblars
Ironblaster

Please understand he has thundertusk/stonehorn and many other choices (pretty much anything from the OK Army Book except Gorgers and Yetis). The stuff I listed above just seems to be his basic core list I commonly see when playing against him with my WoC and Dwarfs. I know he has been trying to figure out how to work in the Stonehorn (he loves that critter).

Wbarobinson
10-01-2013, 19:37
So ogres are badass and will kill a badly tailored list from VC. Your best bets are zombies and hexraiths. Put your ghouls and skelies in the zombies to count them as zombies. You can do well with a giant tarpit of them. Which you flank with wraiths, varghulf and vargheist. Banshees and wraiths go well against mournfangs.

KingFerret
10-01-2013, 23:59
So ogres are badass and will kill a badly tailored list from VC. Your best bets are zombies and hexraiths. Put your ghouls and skelies in the zombies to count them as zombies. You can do well with a giant tarpit of them. Which you flank with wraiths, varghulf and vargheist. Banshees and wraiths go well against mournfangs.

This won't work because of the crumbling rules. The ogres will slaughter the zombies, win by about ten, and then all of wraiths, varghulf and vargheist will crumble to death because of the zombies failings.

I would use zombies as counts as ghouls and have about 35 of them as my entire core (seeing as you don't have any dire wolves). Ghouls won't give up as much combat resolution as zombies and will actually do some damage of their own with 2 poison attacks each.

Then I would use a varghulf/vargheists 2 hit punch team on one flank and my ethereals on the other. 35 ghouls should hold up long enough in the middle with the help of your heroes, while your varghulf + gheists clean up one flank and the ethereals hold the other. Then varghulf + gheists in the flank of his main combat units should chop them to pieces, if your ghouls haven't already gone to town.

hope this helps :)

Warrior of Chaos
11-01-2013, 14:10
Thanks for the help guys. I've been playing math hammer in my head for the last couple of days and I know this is probably gonna be painful for me. There does not seem to be too many units I have that can deal with the fatties in a stand up bash, so I guess I'll have to go with finesse and treachery. I was guessing that the zombies would be largely ineffectual and the ghouls would be my best option dealing with T4 Ogres. I'm still slowly building my Army up and a big unit of GG will be my next addition along with a nice sized unit of Black Knights. Due to my lack of stopping power in core troops, do you think maybe I should beef up magic a bit? Maybe get a Master Necro and drop the level 2?

KingFerret
11-01-2013, 17:32
I find a level 4 to be indispensable especially if you keep him nice and cheap. I tend to give mine just the power stone. If you take my advice and go for ghouls instead of skeletons remember to also drop master of the dead, and even if you keep the skellies, I would stille probably argue against getting master of the dead, which I don't think is that useful.

At these points sizes, the choice between getting a fighty vampire to make your 35 man ghoul unit a bit of a killer, or a level 4 master necro for the magic is a tough one, and I think you should go with whichever play style you prefer. I wouldn't go with a lvl 4 wizard just because most people say you need one. Although I think I would give my lvl 2 necro a dispel scroll instead of a power stone.