PDA

View Full Version : So who will jump the DA bandwagon?

the_slosh
10-01-2013, 00:14
Just curious about how many of the warseerites that will give the new DA a go

MagicHat
10-01-2013, 00:35
When I began WH40K for the second time, the DA chapter upgrade sprue was one of the first things I bought, took some parts from it for my custom chapter but never assembled any of it because I kept hearing how they were about to be updated soon.
BA came out, I used that codex instead. (They were my first warhammer army ever, until my entire force were stolen).
Then 6th came out, and I can now ally. Sweet.
I currently have the DV, two tactical squads and some bikes and vehicles. Going to make a DA successor chapter.
Shame that the Stormraven still looks like the better AA, as I really dislike that model.

Superdan21
10-01-2013, 00:41
Always been a fan of the chapter originally my second favourite to SW's but now joint second with ultramarines, so yeah i bought about 1000 points about 2 years ago more to collect than game with, but having picked up DV and probably some of the new terminators pretty psyched, so yeah i already have a pretty decent standing army and will be good to see whats new although really not a fan of some of the new stuff (fliers/speeder)
anyway yeah theres my 2 cents as it were

MvS
10-01-2013, 00:50
I will leap onto whichever Marine Codex bandwagon that allows me to field the largest number of Marines with swords and shields - including Terminators. So I'll just have to wait and see.

m1acca1551
10-01-2013, 01:01
Nope... i do love the imagery behind DA but at this point in time im really not enjoying the look of them, (will happily revise once seen in the flesh).

Moochkin
10-01-2013, 01:27
been a DA player for many years now so i will not be abandoning them now that i get a shiny new codex and models, GIVE ME PLASMA!!!

TheLionReturns
10-01-2013, 02:07
I've been playing them since 2nd edition so why would I change now. They will have to wait a while though, I have other projects on the go at the moment.

ftayl5
10-01-2013, 02:08
Might get their flyer to add to my Dark Vengeance set because it genuinely looks great but otherwise no. Not a fan of the new models other than the the flyer.

megatrons2nd
10-01-2013, 02:15
You don't have my option:

Only if GW pays me to.

the gribbly
10-01-2013, 02:22
Ive played dark angels for years so I own plenty of unforgiven including half the first company..just not sure this release is enough to bring me back into the hunt.

Sure ill still field my deathwing and ravenwing here and there but honestly from what ive seen I doubt ill be investing anymore in DAs. Sad but after waiting a *********** decade for some codex love I moved on.. cue sad song

Ssilmath
10-01-2013, 02:48
I already own a Space Marine army, and don't have the money to start another one. I do like the color scheme and models though, a shame really. So, no thank you.

Azazel
10-01-2013, 03:08
No thank you. Although I am looking forward to playing against a new 6th codex.

Zothos
10-01-2013, 03:56
More marines.

Yay.

:rolleyes:

Israfael
10-01-2013, 03:59
I've played them since I started the hobby, and won't be changing that as long as I'm part of it. Good or bad codex, I'm a son of the Lion.

Carnage
10-01-2013, 04:01
I'll be using my generic marines with the DA codex if they are better then BA/SW, but otherwise I'll pass.

baphomael
10-01-2013, 04:16
I like a few of the models, but at the mo foreworld is taking all my money. all about 30k for me at the mo :p

squeekenator
10-01-2013, 06:01
I like fast shooty people, so if Ravenwing ends up being really good then I might give them a chance.

Athariel
10-01-2013, 10:14
I give them a go mainly because I have the models from Dark Vengeance.

So I will probably boost that up to about 2000 points worth.

TheDungen
10-01-2013, 10:23
i'll buy the minis to use to convert to fallen, and i'll buy the codex for the fluff, i wont play DA.

Horus Lupercal
10-01-2013, 10:26
Not so much bandwagon as I started my DA just before DV was announced so that formed the main initial army so its all been a bonus for me really!!

Ruination Drinker
10-01-2013, 11:07
I have a 30 marine biker list that I'm considering use for a "counts as" if Ravenwing sounds fun enough (read OP to the max). Otherwise fifty bucks for another codex of Samey Marines just doesn't hold any appeal.

Lets get to the Xenos already.

Killgore
10-01-2013, 11:23
Dark Angels were my first 40k army around 14 years ago, that army is long gone

Starting them up again thanks to Dark Vengeance and the spare Ravenwing battle force iv had lying around :)

I'm loving the new rules that have started to emerge, the synergy between units and debuffs to enemy units will make this an interesting codex

dblaz3r
10-01-2013, 13:29
DA have always been my main army so no change for me except buying more models, playing more regularly, learning new tactics and getting the lot painted. :D

I stayed with the current codex even through the hard times, and there was plenty of those. From the sound of the rumours those days are over. :D

I'm really excited for this release.

Brother Captain Lucian
10-01-2013, 14:09
Once a Dark Angel always a Dark Angel :)

DV and FW:HH got me back into this game, with pre and post heresy DA :D A new codex with epic looking terminators and bikers is just a giant +.

dhallnet
10-01-2013, 14:31
I'm refraining from building a full termi force for quite sometime (I was undecided between Loganwing and Deathwing), this new launch and the availability of the Dark Vengeance termies break my last barriers and make my choice easier :D
So "omg shiny !"

Bold_or_Stupid
10-01-2013, 15:37
I may pick some up as a fluffy allies contingent to my Wolves.

Blinder
10-01-2013, 16:24
I've had increasing quantities of marines knocking about that I've always meant to turn into a DA force... I don't think I'll be jumping the bandwagon, though, as I don't expect to get around to actually putting the army together anytime this year, have far too much else that I want to get done for my IG with my "40k modeling/painting time." Also, don't have the $$$ to justify buying more stuff ><

Maybe I'll see if anyone around here *does* bandwagon and runs them gray... see if I can get a deal on something that won't be too hard to reassemble/paint/repaint to my tastes once the hype dies down.

warlordbob
10-01-2013, 16:56
Well, I started a Crimson Fist force last March, initially just 1500 pts, which has rapidly escalated into a collalition of chapters that were involved in the Rynn's World reclamation force, so yes I will be dipping into Dark Angels, but hopefully not as fervently as I have with Crimson and Imperial Fists. There just is'nt much room left :-P

IcedCrow
10-01-2013, 16:56
I thought space wolves and dark angels didnt like each other.

Surgency
10-01-2013, 17:26
I thought space wolves and dark angels didnt like each other.

Ongoing discussion about DA Allies, with specific talk about DA/SW rivalries (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?361201-Dark-Angels-comrades)

in a word: No :p

Like a few others here, I've been playing DA for what seems like forever. I've already been accused of being a bandwagon-er though, just like when the GK codex came out and I pulled out my metal 2000 point Daemonhunters force for the first time in 2 years. And I'll be thrilled to be called a bandwagon-er when Tau come out later this year.

Its been a fun time for me, with all my codecies being updated ;)

IcedCrow
10-01-2013, 17:48
Interesting. I remember in 3rd edition there existed a rule that enforced the enmity between the Dark Angels and Space Wolves that was in both of their little codices (my first army was a Dark Angels force)

otakuzoku
10-01-2013, 17:53
sorry Tau die hard hear. may be tempted to do a small necron or elder force in the future. but never imperium or chaos

Rimmerman
10-01-2013, 18:02
Bought a load of Deathwing Terminators about 4 years ago now off a friend and have been playing them all through 5th, so I will most certainly be using them! I'm off to doubles in a couple of weeks as well so hoping to get a bit of a rules boost too!

Rimmerman

hobojebus
10-01-2013, 18:16
I'd never sully my hands with dark angels!! this is one wolf that's staying true to the primarch.

MaliceXR3
10-01-2013, 18:38
I had flirted with the idea of starting a Deathwing army a few times in the not so distant past, now however, I'm firmly entrenched in the Ork camp (the only other 40k army I would ever play now would be Necrons, but that's something that is never going to happen as things stand)

Haskear
10-01-2013, 18:42
I'll be sticking to BA's although the nephilim in red would make a good alternative aesthetically to the stormtalon

Shadowfane
10-01-2013, 18:58
Nope, I've started a Tau army in response - mostly to introduce the sulking marines to Railguns.... :p

Max_Killfactor
10-01-2013, 19:17
I may jump on board... Mainly because of how cheap the DV models are. I won't be able to until May anyway, so I'll wait it out.

Marshal
10-01-2013, 19:24
Sticking with my Templars....thought I did start a chaos marine army when they came out...

omgadinosaur
10-01-2013, 19:59
No, my wallet is too small.

loveless
10-01-2013, 21:09
Sticking with my Templars....thought I did start a chaos marine army when they came out...

I was quite content to try and go back to Templars, but ultimately decided that the new Dark Angels out-Gothiced them...plus I really like the new Psychic system :p

----

I've been waiting for some properly ornate Marines and vehicles. The Blood Angels got the ornate Marines down pretty well, but were lacking in fancy Terminators (outside of my Space Hulk ones) and the Storm Raven and Baal Predator were a bit utilitarian for my tastes.

There's also the benefit of 3 color schemes in one army to prevent burning out on squad painting. That and the vehicles are all crazy enough to be worthwhile purchases - and the reliquaries and whatnot will be snatched up from bits vendors to adorn the tanks.

I'll be putting this all off until the summer or later, but hey! I'd be up for it :p

Rated_lexxx
10-01-2013, 21:17
I had to vote cookies because there wasn't a option for what I am doing

I have been wanting to play DA but every time I started a force something would stop me

In 3rd I stopped playing before I could complete my army, I didn't play 4th, in 5th when I first started the codex was soooo awful when compared to marines.

I have always enjoyed the fluff on the color scheme but the stars never came into place for me to play. now is that time

ColShaw
10-01-2013, 21:29
I was tempted by the cookies, but I'm on a diet. So I said no thanks. I'm a Guardsman to the backbone.

lethlis
10-01-2013, 21:32
If they fit the theme or the army that I want to play better than codex space marines then I will. Otherwise I will build around codex space marines.

Space Marines have sternguard

Dark angels have scoring terminators and bikes. And the whole hunt the fallen aspect can easily be translated towards what I would like. Also the elite nature of the army appeals towards what I want to build as a basis.

Jericho
10-01-2013, 22:15
I've wanted to do Deathwing for ages, but it never came together. The previous Codex wasn't great, but it was the lack of combi-weapons on the sergeants that ticked me off the most, as I had converted them already in anticipation of the codex release. That, and I wasn't able to get 8 sets of staff discounted Forgeworld shoulder pads before I quit the company like I wanted...

Nowadays, I will buy 40k army books but the only minis I buy are (for the most part) Forgeworld HH stuff. If you're gonna spend too much money on the hobby, might as well spend way too much money on the hobby.

Anyway, it seems like the rules for the DA's are pretty respectable, the elite stuff is elite and the basic Marines aren't overcosted anymore. If some of that trickles down to the other Marines books over time, it would serve them well. It would be nice to see a return to Tactical/Assault/Devastator squad armies and not just spammed Elites/whatever is the most efficient support vehicle. BA players are loathe to put Tactical Marines into their armies, and I hate how they do kinda suck in most Marine armies, when compared to other armies' Troops choices.

Souleater
10-01-2013, 23:16
Eventually. I have DV plus the Dreads, Terminators, SM Bikes that...somehow...most 40k players just seem to magically own...

I need to re-paint my Nids over the next six months. Once they are done I'll be starting loyalist Marines in earnest for the first time since Rogue Trader. I really like the robed, monkish aspect of the DA. I've had a vague notion to start them for a couple of years and most of the new models I really like.

TheDungen
10-01-2013, 23:33
actually, i have painted the models that i dont plan to use for my fallen from the DV box as my Order of The Lion chapter of the unforgiven. Purple and white with some golden details.

Rogerio
10-01-2013, 23:36
my first army was dark angels so I have now gone back to them and sold my guard

corps
10-01-2013, 23:49
nop for me i always hate them. first the look (yes i hate black templar too) secondly their background. left to rots their allies in a crusade vital for the wole imperium in the pursuit of one men? for me it s treason.. i know that comment won't be like but that s mine.

Ruination Drinker
11-01-2013, 06:18
The only thing that would make them a no brainer in my book was if they had 2W terminators. I must admit, I am intrigued -- but they have to be on a power level beyond SW without allies for me to consider. No BS4 meganobs probably means a pass for me.

soul destroyer
11-01-2013, 07:44
May get some terminators to paint sometime but on the whole no, I don't really need another army at the moment.

corps
13-01-2013, 00:43
i just check it. seem that sergent have the same states lines that their subordinates. i wonder if it s a typo.

Valaskjalf1414
13-01-2013, 02:39
Really thinking of ditching Chaos after playing them for about 7 years. It must be nice to have an army that isnt shafted in almost every single way. So prolly going to put Chaos away for a while and try and get myself some DA - pity I sold half of my Dark Vengeance box to someone, otherwise Id have a good start to a DA army.

torn
13-01-2013, 03:11
Im jumping on the bandwagon. I really like painting terminators, and I wished my space hulk models werent sculpted blood angels so I could have made them deathwing. Dark vengeance termies followed by belial and maybes 1 or 2 new deathwing boxes and a landraider is my thinking, although I prefer painting infantry to vehicles. I havent played since 4th ed, probably 2004/5, what is with the codex price now? thats insane.

Voss
13-01-2013, 04:58
i just check it. seem that sergent have the same states lines that their subordinates. i wonder if it s a typo.

Not a typo. Vet sergeants cost extra.

Shazburg
13-01-2013, 08:42
Not entirely certain buying my first army days before the new Codex hit counts as "jumping on the bandwagon", but I am looking forward to playing with a fresh set of rules.

Ace Rimmer
13-01-2013, 09:37
I opted for Cookies because my option isn't on there ;)
I'll buy the codex and maybe play a few games with my Hellcats using it, but thats more to get a feel for how they work so I can better understand how to dismantle them :)

Ghazbad_Facestompa
13-01-2013, 10:14
Meh. Right now, I'm perfectly happy with my DE and World Eaters. Though I'll be happy to show some Dark Angels who the truly superior race is, and make them well acquainted with splinter weapons and dark lances.

Craftworld
13-01-2013, 10:19
Nope, I'm waiting on the new Eldar codex. :D

I'm happy for the Dark Angel players who got their new books though.

Daemonia
13-01-2013, 10:23
Not going to play them because I never really got into them as a Chapter. I do like the models and the rules sure sound interesting. Definitely happy to see 'greenwing' as an interesting option, I always felt they were kinda left out among all the other shiny things in the Chapter. I'm looking forward to playing against all the new Dark Angel switchers...I only know one guy who has always loved them and he's happy they're being redone even if they're not shaping up to be super overpowered. Definitely like the models and the style, kinda like the rules trickling in but still not the army for me regardless of shiny newness.

Ruination Drinker
14-01-2013, 02:03
I'm resolved to buy the codex, but I'm going to "counts as" for them. There's no use in getting new models when I already have tons of marines already.

TheDungen
14-01-2013, 05:41
nop for me i always hate them. first the look (yes i hate black templar too) secondly their background. left to rots their allies in a crusade vital for the wole imperium in the pursuit of one men? for me it s treason.. i know that comment won't be like but that s mine.

yeah that's what makes them awesome they aren't perfect, they're in fact very flawed.

The Emperor
14-01-2013, 09:57
I guess I'm sort of jumping on the Dark Angels bandwagon, but it's a pretty easy choice for me given that I've already got tons of Dark Angels miniatures. I'd been planning for the past month or so to get back into 40k, which I haven't played since the days of 2nd edition, as two of my friends have also wanted to get back into 40k (I intended to play Ultramarines while one of them decided to play Necrons. The third is still undecided).

Unlike them, though, over the intervening years I've occasionally thought about getting back into the hobby and have splurged on some things as a result. For instance, when the last Codex: Dark Angels came out I bought two of the boxed army sets, so I've got all those guys and the Dark Angels specific sprues (Including the Limited Edition Company Master. I used to have two but I sold the second for $125 on eBay). So I've got that as well as a large number of assembled and unassembled Space Marines going back to Rogue Trader (I even have the classic Dark Angels Captain miniature from back in the day, along with the more recent pewter updated Company Master version of it. I also have the pewter Azrael and Ezekiel which I bought back in the days of 2nd edition, too). So while my original intent was to play Ultramarines when my friends suggested getting back into 40k, between all the old miniatures I already had, the Dark Angels in the Dark Vengeance boxed set, the oodles of unassembled plastic Space Marines I have, and all my unpainted Rogue Trader Space Marines, I think I already have the makings of a full Battle Company. Hell, I was able to assemble four Deathwing Terminators in addition to the five Deathwing Knights I purchased, and that was by only using the leftovers from the Deathwing Knights sprues and other leftover bits I had from all the other Terminator Squad boxed sets I'd purchased, from which I currently have assembled 25 regular Terminators (Some of whom I might turn into Deathwing, as not all of them are painted as Ultramarines).

My current plan is to go this Saturday and fight my first battle of 40k since 2nd edition using the Dark Vengeance miniatures as the basis of my army. They add up to 725 points, minimum, so I'm going to see about fleshing it out to a 1,000 point army and fighting a few battles with that (I have several Tactical Squads, Scout Squads, a Dreadnought, and a few other vehicles I can choose from to fill out those other 275 points). Then once The War Store delivers the five spare Terminator legs I ordered as well as Terminator bases and I assemble yet another Deathwing Terminator Squad out of them, and I get my Ravenwing Attack Squadron assembled (Again, it's been sitting in my closet for years. 6 Bikes, an Attack Bike, and a Land Speeder), I'll probably go the week after and slam my opponents with an Azrael led Doublewing army. We'll see how it works out.

I should get Codex: Blood Angels when I get the chance, too. I also used to play Blood Angels back in the day and I'm pretty sure I have enough leftover Space Marines to also make a Blood Angels Battle Company (I've got the pewter versions of Dante, Tycho, Mephiston, Corbulo, and the classic Blood Angels Captain in a drawer right under my desk).

Mauler
14-01-2013, 10:36
Had a small Deathwing force and a smattering of Dark Angels since the Deathwing Space Hulk expansion, so very much a YES.

Haravikk
14-01-2013, 15:31
I was already a Dark Angels player (technically for 12 years, though it's been very off and on); the new releases aren't really changing my plan to dig out my older models and renovate them, the main change really is that I nabbed some Deathwing Knights as the non-Knight pieces will make it easier to upgrade my old Space Hulk models that formed the bulk of my Deathwing back in the mists of time, and I'm not going to say no to even more terminators ;)
I'm tempted by the Ravenwing Command box, maybe to build Black Knights (I've only skimmed the codex in store so far so I don't know for sure yet). I'm also trying to decide whether it's worth splashing out 15 for the new Belial model or if I'll just stick the old metal Terminator Captain model that I have, and just spruce it up a bit with some new bits, a fancy banner and some fancy basing.

That said, a Dark Talon seems a likely purchase for me, or perhaps more specifically a Nephilim Jetfighter with lots of Dark Talon bits, since I don't really need more ground firepower, but I currently have zero anti-air capability other than massed Assault Cannon fire using Split Fire maybe. However I like the style of the Dark Talon better.

Starchild
15-01-2013, 16:05
I've been a Dark Angels player since Winter 1994, when Codex Angels of Death was previewed in White Dwarf with the robed character models.

After I saw that I sold off my Space Wolves and never looked back. So there's no bandwagon jumping from me.

I've been with the Chapter for eighteen years, even through the awful low points such as the dark night of 3rd edition and the confusing transition from 3rd to 4th edition.

I was disappointed that the rumoured 1 - 3 per Elites choice Chaplains didn't materialize but the new units more than make up for that.

I'm also pleased to see the Sacred Standards return after being on display at the Emperor's Palace (:p). Although, Mr. Vetock should have chosen a different rule for The Standard of Retribution. Counter-attack is nothing compared to salvo bolters or a FNP bubble. No one wants a counter-attack banner, but imo it's the best looking of the three.

:skull:

Commandojimbob
15-01-2013, 16:12
I dont need to (and would not anyway) as I know a DA gamer who no doubt will be upgrading, someone who has loads of terminators and bikes who just needs the new characters and codex, while another likes shiny new GW models who will knock up a new DA force in quick time.

For me - I simply look forward to a new challenge for my Necrons as they are getting a bit bored winning (I need a challenge, will be fielding flayed ones soon) :cheese: :rolleyes:

lethlis
16-01-2013, 05:15
For me it is less about being dark angels, it is that they have rules that allow me to play the army i would like to play while still being competitive. I want to put lots of boots on the ground. New dark angels pricing makes it feasible. I want a slathering of bikes and termies with variety. DA can do that. Will i go back to space marines when it cones out? Probably, as long as the sternguard are still workable in a similar or better manor. Until then however i am happy tovwork on both my traitor nurgle and loyal xenos hunters at the same time

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Brother-Captain Ehrlen
16-01-2013, 06:43
Nope. I'm still enjoying the new Chaos codex, and have no desire to start another Astartes army- well, not in 40K anyway.. 30K Forgeworld, maybe.

Nehemiah
16-01-2013, 07:02
Not sure why a pole is needed. Just look at the last page of all the project logs and the answer is there.