PDA

View Full Version : Battle Damage on Space Marine armor

Lester
11-01-2013, 18:10
How common is for Marines armor to have battle scars, rust, chipping, etc?

I'm thinking of doing some to my future Dark Angels but they seem like guys who keep their armor in top notch condition.

MarshalFaust
11-01-2013, 18:16
Fresh off the battle barge or assembled on the parade ground for inspection their armor would be immaculate. in the middle of a campaign or a fight it should be scratched, dinged, singed and muddy.

Lord Zarkov
11-01-2013, 18:18
How common is for Marines armor to have battle scars, rust, chipping, etc?

I'm thinking of doing some to my future Dark Angels but they seem like guys who keep their armor in top notch condition.

They will pick up scars, chips etc during a battle, but afterwards they tend to take good care of it - sending it to the Forge to be repaired if it is broken, and then repainted by the Marine who owns it. In the first few HH books Loken seems to forever have his lapping powder out, cleaning up damage and painting over it.

Col. Tartleton
11-01-2013, 19:30
Remember, even if you're wearing armor you're still going to avoid getting hit in the first place. Marines don't win wars by getting shot at. They shoot you then sever your head and clean the meat off with a knife so they can wear you as a trophy.

Mud and dust? Sure. Scraped paint and superficial burns? Yeah.

I don't think power armor can rust. It's made of ceramic. It's also unlikely to be dented or deformed. I think it would shatter/crack.

Surgency
11-01-2013, 19:52
Remember, even if you're wearing armor you're still going to avoid getting hit in the first place. Marines don't win wars by getting shot at. They shoot you then sever your head and clean the meat off with a knife so they can wear you as a trophy.

Mud and dust? Sure. Scraped paint and superficial burns? Yeah.

I don't think power armor can rust. It's made of ceramic. It's also unlikely to be dented or deformed. I think it would shatter/crack.

Theres a lot of instances in the background where Marines get hit with bullets and shrapnel and the armour doesn't shatter or crack. There are also instances in the ADB Night Lords series with Talos' human servants having to deal with dented and deformed armour.

Also, the armour isn't exactly made out of ceramic, its a 40k version of it, made of plasteel, adamantium, and a plethora of other materials that are never actually described

I do agree with the no rust bit though, unless you're dedicated to Nurgle but I'd say thats likely a different situation ;)

bound for glory
11-01-2013, 20:26
i find it quite strange that the marines use "paint" on their armor. mean to say, i'd think the armor would be annodized, powder coated or at the least, a "bake coat" for the paint. theres no way paint would work on their armor. even if primed...

Lord Zarkov
11-01-2013, 20:36
i find it quite strange that the marines use "paint" on their armor. mean to say, i'd think the armor would be annodized, powder coated or at the least, a "bake coat" for the paint. theres no way paint would work on their armor. even if primed...
There's paint and there's paint. In the HH books Loken is always described as using coloured "lapping powder" to put colour on his armour, it's not likely to be paint as in acrylics or whatever. When you put the coloured protective coating on tanks for example I would still describe it as 'painting' it though.

Wise Guy Sam
11-01-2013, 21:10
They will pick up scars, chips etc during a battle, but afterwards they tend to take good care of it - sending it to the Forge to be repaired if it is broken, and then repainted by the Marine who owns it. In the first few HH books Loken seems to forever have his lapping powder out, cleaning up damage and painting over it.

At long last I have something in common with a marine. I too and forever painting power armour.

Magister
11-01-2013, 22:42
The Excoriators from the Legion of the Damned novel like to keep the damage that their armour sustains in battle as a form of memento.

Imperialis_Dominatus
11-01-2013, 23:08
Their Techmarines must have fits for a while after they get back from Mars then.

Vaulkhar
12-01-2013, 03:11
No more than the Mechanicus would have fits on their arrival. I'd say about the only effect you'd be unlikely to see in Marine armour (in the normal course of things at least) would be rust, since that implies poor maintenance and disrespect of the armour's spirit. And we all know what happens to Marines who disrespect their wargear's spirits.

MajorWesJanson
12-01-2013, 03:39
Damage that does not reduce protection or function could be seen as battle scars. If it impedes their effectiveness though, that piece of armor is getting fixed asap.

Schismotive
13-01-2013, 05:08
In some of the books they talk about the 'shame' or guilt that marines feel when their armor gets heavily damaged, and they seem to treat it in a knightly way. When they pray that their armor will continue to protect them I get reminded of when han solo says "come on baby hold together" to the millennium falcon... lol

Mage
13-01-2013, 06:32
The Executioners do something similar, they could be on a parade ground with clean armour, and rents, slahses, holes and cuts in it too as trophy or honour markings.