PDA

View Full Version : Audio dramas!!

JDV311
11-01-2013, 21:00
I have finished 2 of the books so far and have been thoroughly pleased. My only complaint would be that they don't seem to be very long.

shadowhawk2008
11-01-2013, 21:24
Which ones have you listened to?

JDV311
12-01-2013, 04:16
Angron:Butcher's Nails and Chosen of Khorne. I'm a bit of a chaos fan...fantasy and 40K!

shadowhawk2008
12-01-2013, 05:31
Those are really good starting points. For more, I'd recommend Raven's Flight, any of the Garro audios (there are three full length ones and two short ones), Thorn and Talon, Perfection, and Aenarion.

ArgelTal
12-01-2013, 08:13
I would recommend Throne of Lies and Heart of Rage. Throne of Lies is, for my money, the best audio drama to date. Heart of Rage is a little quirky, but the sound effects and atmosphere are fantastic.

Sword Of Caliban
12-01-2013, 09:33
Im really getting into the audio stuff too really helps me to paint. I quite liked the ascension of balthasar, but i also really liked a thousand sons because its unabridged, its an awesome book and its 13 discs!!

JDV311
12-01-2013, 15:06
Yeah, my GF bought me GW credit for Xmas and it all may be used to purchase audio books. I noticed some of them say unabridged. What exactly does that mean?

shadowhawk2008
12-01-2013, 15:55
Yeah, my GF bought me GW credit for Xmas and it all may be used to purchase audio books. I noticed some of them say unabridged. What exactly does that mean?

Audio dramas are typically 1 hr stories that are developed for the audio experience, with sound effects and typically these days, a cast of 3-6 people.

Audiobooks are audio recordings of any novel or short story or novella. They are very low on the sound effects and have 1-2 voice-actors. If it says unabridged, then that means the story is in full, as in the print version. If it's abridged, then several scenes and stuff have been cut from the manuscript.

Mage
12-01-2013, 21:15
Ravens flight, Garro and Butchers nails are all awesome.

The Crimson Fists one is awful though, avoid the darned thing.

shadowhawk2008
13-01-2013, 04:44
Ravens flight, Garro and Butchers nails are all awesome.

The Crimson Fists one is awful though, avoid the darned thing.

I liked it because of the whole horror aspect thing. Thought it was really well done.

Audios to avoid: Throne of Lies. Helion Rain. With Baited Breath. Deathwolf.

Mage
13-01-2013, 05:21
The horror, plot and concept of the CF one isn't all that bad, but Emperor forgive me that voice actor is particularly badly suited to voice acting, at least for the audio books. As a narrator he does not create a sense of atmosphere, he just sounds whingey.

I'll avoid those Audio books.

shadowhawk2008
13-01-2013, 07:01
The horror, plot and concept of the CF one isn't all that bad, but Emperor forgive me that voice actor is particularly badly suited to voice acting, at least for the audio books. As a narrator he does not create a sense of atmosphere, he just sounds whingey.

I'll avoid those Audio books.

I regard John Banks quite highly. He's done a lot of work for BL recently as well, in Burden of Duty/Sword of Truth/Grey Angel (all Garro audios), and in Throne of Lies as well. The one narrator I think fails is Saul Reichlin. He is just utterly dull. Good thing that Heavy Entertainment kept him off narrator duties for Bloodquest and had David Timson do it.

JDV311
13-01-2013, 15:27
Since I'm such a chaos fan I think I'll try Perfection next. I have this idea in my head of what a slaanesh space marine would sound like.

malika
13-01-2013, 20:36
Get Throne of Lies, it's awesome!

I guess it's all a matter of taste.

Mister Magister
15-01-2013, 17:07
If you have read (or are planning to read) ADB's Night Lords books, then for goodness sake get hold of Throne of Lies. It rocks the big one.

M'ichal
16-01-2013, 16:07
I just listened to Perfection and it was good, but not excellent. Too many characters for my liking, I found it hard to remember all their names and keep track of who's who. Definitely nice descriptions of the finesse the Slaaneshi warriors put into their killings and fairly good represnetation of the three fighting factions.

I think I liked Chosen of Khorne more. Otherwise loved Thorn and Talon (especially the "music", so atmospheric), the first two Raven Guard dramas (maybe except the weird accent of the Minotaurs in the 2nd one) and Eye of Vengeance.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, some browser glitch. Please delete if you wish.

M'ichal
16-01-2013, 16:08
I just listened to Perfection and it was good, but not excellent. Too many characters for my liking, I found it hard to remember all their names and keep track of who's who. Definitely nice descriptions of the finesse the Slaaneshi warriors put into their killings and fairly good represnetation of the three fighting factions.

I think I liked Chosen of Khorne more. Otherwise loved Thorn and Talon (especially the "music", so atmospheric), the first two Raven Guard dramas (maybe except the weird accent of the Minotaurs in the 2nd one) and Eye of Vengeance.

shadowhawk2008
16-01-2013, 16:10
Did you like Mr. Symphony guy in Perfection? Gareth Armstrong did a fantastic job with him. Then again, it's Gareth Armstrong. He needs to do more audios for BL.

Mage
16-01-2013, 16:36
I regard John Banks quite highly. He's done a lot of work for BL recently as well, in Burden of Duty/Sword of Truth/Grey Angel (all Garro audios), and in Throne of Lies as well. The one narrator I think fails is Saul Reichlin. He is just utterly dull. Good thing that Heavy Entertainment kept him off narrator duties for Bloodquest and had David Timson do it.

Coming from you shadowhawk, I'll give Banks a chance. What other stuff did he do you'd recommend, and I'll check it out?

Saul Reichlin, what titles did he do?

M'ichal
16-01-2013, 16:44
Did you like Mr. Symphony guy in Perfection? Gareth Armstrong did a fantastic job with him. Then again, it's Gareth Armstrong. He needs to do more audios for BL.

Ya, that was the main Children character, right? The guy with the Butcher? I did like him. Like I said, I think the Slaaneshi side of the characters was presented well.

I'm not that good with recognising actors' voices but I know I really liked Gareth Armstrong from the few audiobook samples I listened to on the BL website.

shadowhawk2008
16-01-2013, 17:03
Coming from you shadowhawk, I'll give Banks a chance. What other stuff did he do you'd recommend, and I'll check it out?

Saul Reichlin, what titles did he do?

Off the top of my head, he's done Crimson Fists: The Madness Within, other than the ones I've already mentioned. Can't recall anything else. Whenever I hear John Banks speak, I get a mental image of actor Julian Sands. And since I like Sands, that's a good image! But yes, Banks' Luther in Grey Angel is one of the best things about that audio, as is his variety in Madness Within, or his narration in Throne of Lies. As Rubio for the new Garro audios, he's quite good.

Saul Reichlin has been on pretty much all the Heavy Entertainment produced BL audios, such as Eye of Vengeance and Malediction.

Ya, that was the main Children character, right? The guy with the Butcher? I did like him. Like I said, I think the Slaaneshi side of the characters was presented well.

I'm not that good with recognising actors' voices but I know I really liked Gareth Armstrong from the few audiobook samples I listened to on the BL website.

Yes. Gareth Armstrong also did the Prospero Burns audiobook if I'm not mistaken.

Avitus
16-01-2013, 22:13
^Gareth Armstrong is great - but nobody can top Martyn Elliss

M'ichal
18-01-2013, 20:15
^Gareth Armstrong is great - but nobody can top Martyn Elliss

Maybe for audio dramas. I didn't really like him as a narrator for audiobooks, definitely preferred Gareth or some of the other guys. Him, I liked the least.

Kenzaburo
27-01-2013, 19:28
Gareth Armstrong has left me impressed and eternally grateful when i listened to Prospero Burns. That guy is a great narrator. Him and the voice pf Garro, really like them. Elliss is good, but Armstrong did those great dialects of the Fenrisians...awesome.

DarkChaplain
28-01-2013, 14:50
Maybe for audio dramas. I didn't really like him as a narrator for audiobooks, definitely preferred Gareth or some of the other guys. Him, I liked the least.

I share that opinion. I liked Martyn when I only had A Thousand Sons and some of Toby Longworth's audio dramas (good ol' days), but Gareth's Prospero Burns was on a whole new level. He really added a lot of depth to the narration, more than I could say about Martyn. Especially after listening to a bit of the 3rd Sigmar novel / only audio they did of the trilogy, I've noticed quite a lot shortcomings with Martyn's narration.

Then again, I feel like they all have their rightful places. Gareth does a good job with Abnett's writing style, I think, while David Timpson works really damn well with Iron Hands/Warriors and Imperial Fists. Jonathan Keeble is generally well-rounded. And those are just the audiobooks!

The recent dramas have gone all out and all actors work very well together (alright, I really didn't like Mission: Purge, but thats probably more due to the script than the actors).

However, I'd usually pick Keeble or Armstrong over Ellis. Martyn is somehow too rough for my liking and feels a bit more static than the others.

Nineswords
29-01-2013, 08:02
Thorn and Talon

Thorn and Talon is brilliant. The voice acting is superb.

Kenzaburo
30-01-2013, 07:00
Thorn and talon was armstrong. As was said, he's especially great with abnett material. Did he narrate salvations reach, too, by chance? In that case i might have to get the audio as well as the book.

DarkChaplain
30-01-2013, 07:08
Thorn and talon was armstrong. As was said, he's especially great with abnett material. Did he narrate salvations reach, too, by chance? In that case i might have to get the audio as well as the book.

Nope, that was James MacPherson. Personally I really dislike his accent and general flow of reading.

Btw, Thorn and Talon also involved Jonathan Keeble, but I agree that Armstrong does a fantastic job as Eisenhorn. Really has become my head-voice for that particular character.

Kenzaburo
30-01-2013, 08:28
so, wait...armstrong is the voice of eisenhorn, right? that's what i meant. i know there've been other voice actors in the 3 audio books about eisenhorn and co. ravenor was voiced by someone else.

Fizzy
30-01-2013, 08:41
I might be blind but I havent seen anyone mention "Galaxy in flames". Its great. Listnened to it when I started my Pre-heresy World eater army.

DarkChaplain
30-01-2013, 09:31
so, wait...armstrong is the voice of eisenhorn, right? that's what i meant. i know there've been other voice actors in the 3 audio books about eisenhorn and co. ravenor was voiced by someone else.

Yeah, Armstrong is Eisenhorn (and thus the narrator). Might not have been entirely clear; James MacPherson is the one reading Salvation's Reach, 's what I meant.

Kenzaburo
30-01-2013, 09:35
finished listening to it yesterday and can only say that i wished it hadn't been the abridged version (same goes for the rest of the opening trilogy). it's fine but it lacks...well, the parts it is missing. :)
also, galaxy in flames is an audio book, not an audio drama. ;)

@dark chaplain: ah, i see. thanks for clearing that up. :)

jeckl
02-02-2013, 02:42
So which are the best?

The Sigil
02-02-2013, 19:14
So which are the best?

Without a doubt 'Thorn wishes Talon' (from the 'Thorn and Talon' compilation) is simply the best audio drama available. Five different actors, the best effects (and music - I love that opening theme!) and an absolute kick **** story (albeit not one written originally for the format).

Can't recommend it highly enough. The other two stories in the compilation are also quite good (particularly the first one).

For fantasy, I stand by the very first audio drama ever made, the Gortrek and Felix one ('Slayer of the Storm God'), which was all sorts of fun.

DarkChaplain
09-02-2013, 21:01
I disagree with Thorn Wishes Talon being the best audio drama offered.
Both Garro: Sword of Truth and Malediction pulled the strings better for me personally, and even the Ciaphas Cain audio, Dead in the Water, was damn good, despite being performed by only one actor.
I especially love Warmaster by John French, though. Awesome little piece.