PDA

View Full Version : Your deployment style?

Hjorth
16-01-2013, 15:32
Ok guys and gals I have something I am curios about, and that is how do you deploy your army vs someone else?

Do you show your armies before deployment telling exactly what you have?

Do you show your armies before deployment but leave out magic items and just tell the what type of units and what gear you have?

Do you have the armies hidden and just show the units when they hit the board?

how it is done in the tournament scene? same as you play at home?

The bearded one
16-01-2013, 15:50
Ok guys and gals I have something I am curios about, and that is how do you deploy your army vs someone else?

Do you show your armies before deployment but leave out magic items and just tell the what type of units and what gear you have?

Do you have the armies hidden and just show the units when they hit the boad?

I can't speak for everyone, but over here the tournament scene generally does it in way #2. Or rather tournaments assume you do it in that manner, rather than having any particular ruling on how it 'has to be done', unless they have something specific in mind. That manner is the standard way to do it. As in the core ruleset magic items and the like are "hidden", while everything else ought to be WYSIWYG and thus visible at a glance. Things like 'scaly skin 5+' or the difference between light and heavy armour might be hard to distinguish on a model, so out of courtesy most people here give a quick run-through of the non-hidden things of their army (equipment, commandgroups, etc.). From what I have experienced this is the way people like to do it in tournaments. I have never encountered anywhere where the army is hidden untill deployed. The notion seems quite fun to try out though, but of course it works less well against people if you're familiar with the other's usual armycomposition.

Wesser
16-01-2013, 15:54
It's not often we actually get around to do it, but my gaming group's always had a lot of fun doing Hidden deployment.

The good thing about this is that it requires you to deploy according to plan and to try second guessing your opponent's deployment rather than just reacting to each other.

Artiee
16-01-2013, 16:29
We usally do #2. Deploy and state what the unit is, what they have normal equipment wise and any knowed rule. ie.. 30 Skeleton, Sword and board, Light Armor.

Sometimes at the LCG, we will have more units on our display board then whats going out on the field. I never done a hidden deployment before. Hmmmm... Got to try it.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
16-01-2013, 18:27
Usually 2 or 3.

leopard
16-01-2013, 18:39
Typically have my army on its trays, "deployed" in what will be no mans land just standing there, the character off to one side in a group.

They are declared as to what they are as they are deployed, magical whatsits and anything allowed to be hidden is not announced (unless I specifically want to) everything is is in the open as it where.

Units are positioned in no mans land to make it clear how many units there are (not putting identical units touching etc).

Makes it much easier to deploy, if my opponent wants to pull a surprise out of the bag and not do the same thats up to them.

Even stuff thats WYSIWYAGSSWAI* is declared in full, anything optional being made clear, basic equipment normally mentioned unless/until the opponent asks me to stop it and get on with it (has happened twice, and once they whined later about not being told something)

* What you see is what you are getting so stop whining about it

popisdead
16-01-2013, 18:59

Pretty much.

Yes. People will just guess "large unit of Glade Guard" or "Bestigors?" Flaming/LD banner.

No.

I had someone do that to me during a tournament and I thought it was lame. He wasn't a good gamer and it seemed he had weird tricks to try to win rather than just try to out-play me.

xalfej
16-01-2013, 21:32
We deploy armies, stating mundane equipment. Magic items are announced in first round of combat (or shooting) in which they are used.

I also generally have a pile of NG fanatics on a tray, even though I only use 2.That is my psychological warfare~

~xalfej

Ratarsed
16-01-2013, 21:55
With my regular gaming group it has got to the stage where we might not even declare what the unit is and what it is equipped with. We've been playing each other for so long now we just about know everything each if us has and likes to use. We ask if we are not sure.
Option 2 is the general default method I would say, at least from my experience.

Another question on deployment. How strict are you if a player has not left enough room to deploy a unit they were holding back? Do you allow a little nudging here and there to squeeze it in or is it a strict no it won't fit you will have to place it elsewhere?. I'm all for allowing a small shift of another unit if its obvious where the unit was intended to go all along.

Urgat
16-01-2013, 22:10
Considering the usual size of my army, anything other than "drop everything in the middle of the table first and then deploy" would be a massive hassle. I don't have to disclose anything, what gear my troops have should either be obvious or hidden. I do point out bosses, big/warbosses and shamans, though, just in case.

SteveW
16-01-2013, 22:11
We mostly play what you see is what you get and only when there are proxies being used do we tell anyone what it's supposed to be.

NemoSD
17-01-2013, 02:20
We've got a Skaven out here who will pull out 50,000 points of rats, and have them sitting watching the game, even when he is not playing rats... it is a horrifying chunk of Psyfare.

ASTINOFF
17-01-2013, 02:23
I show my army before deployment and what gear my troops have but I leave out magic items.

Brother Haephestus
17-01-2013, 02:38

This has kind of been beat to death through several threads, but ... what the hey?

Never #1. There are items in-game that are used to identify magic items, etc., so I think it's implied that you don't reveal them until use. The same with assassins, fanatics, etc.

I've done #3 but only in friendly games and only to tease my opponent with a new unit. More of a "Tah dah!" moment to show off a new model paint job (gotta feed my ego once in a while) than some ganky way to gain advantage.

Our group does a variant of #2, largely to save time. Rather than unpack everything and put them out on parade, when I place a unit, I usually say something like, "This unit is six Ironguts with great weapon and heavy armor, full command (champion, sb, musician) and a look-out Gnoblar." Then my opponent places his unit, "20 Skeletons with full command group," etc. until finished. I will also go over any special rules I feel my opponent should know, like "These Gnoblars are Beneath Contempt, which means ..." Also, if my opponent ever has a question about the unit I will pause to explain. Not much of a tournament player but if I were, I doubt I would change things.

Morkmillian
17-01-2013, 02:50
i usually do #2 - magic items declared as they come into play.

i seem to remember back in the day when you set up youd have a big board accros the middle of the table so you didnt know what your opponents deployment looked like untill youd both finished deploying.
does anybody still do this?

i also played a game once where we each wrote a list and we rolled off - highest roll got to choose which army to use :P