PDA

View Full Version : A question on Cairn Wraiths and a question on the Light of Battle spell

Arnizipal
16-01-2013, 22:31
Some questions that came up during my last battle:

1. If Cairn Wraiths use their Chill attack, does the whole unit have to use it or can one wraith go for full attacks and the next go for a Chill Grasp?

2. Does Chill Grasp work from the second rank?

3. Is it correct to assume the Light of Battle from the Lore of Light makes a unit essentially unbreakable for one turn? It makes a unit automatically pass all Leadership tests. I seem to recall older editions having a different classification for Leadership-based tests and break tests, but by the looks of it 8th edition did away with that.

Any help is much appreciated :)

theunwantedbeing
17-01-2013, 00:38
1. All have to
2. Yes (and the third if in a horde formation)
3. They auto-pass all leadership tests so yes, effectively unbreakable

gorblud
17-01-2013, 00:47
Being unbreakable also means you're immune to psychology so no, but they won't break from combat since it's a leadership test.

Blkc57
17-01-2013, 01:11
Being unbreakable also means you're immune to psychology so no, but they won't break from combat since it's a leadership test.

Not exactly like being Unbreakable/ITP as you still have the option to flee as a charge reaction with Light of Battle on you I think. Just clarifying your point Gorblud :)

Arnizipal
17-01-2013, 09:03
Thanks for the responses :)

1. All have to

Sounds logical, and this is how we played it as well.
You wouldn't have a page number on that by any chance? We've been unable to find the rule for this.

theunwantedbeing
17-01-2013, 13:42
Sounds logical, and this is how we played it as well.
You wouldn't have a page number on that by any chance? We've been unable to find the rule for this.

Erm.
The only thing close is page 89 where it states that all models in a unit must use the same weapon.

Arnizipal
17-01-2013, 13:53
Hmm, sounds FAQ-worthy to me....

Artiee
17-01-2013, 13:58
Some questions that came up during my last battle:

1. If Cairn Wraiths use their Chill attack, does the whole unit have to use it or can one wraith go for full attacks and the next go for a Chill Grasp?

This depends, Are they Hero Cairn Wraiths or Unit Cairn Wraiths? Hero Wraiths each can choose, Unit Wraiths all or nothing.

Arnizipal
17-01-2013, 16:17
This depends, Are they Hero Cairn Wraiths or Unit Cairn Wraiths? Hero Wraiths each can choose, Unit Wraiths all or nothing.
Like I said, this sounds logical but I haven't been able to track down the rules restricting it as such.

thesoundofmusica
18-01-2013, 06:02
I am certainly no expert on VCs but could it be that only heroes have chill grasp? I think that usually when units have a special attack the unit entry says something like "the entire unit may make this special attack instead of their normal attacks".

Arnizipal
18-01-2013, 10:29
That's what I thought too, but the Chill Grasp is mentioned in the rare choice description.

I guess this is similar to the Troll Vomit attack.
Do its rules mention that the whole unit must use it at once (don't have my book with me here at work)?

logan054
18-01-2013, 12:00
The problem is the wording for chills grasp, the unit doesn't have its own rules, it uses the rules for the character, as such the wording is written with a single model in mind, so I guess by RAW as many Wraiths as you want can use the special attack, I doubt this is intentional. And yes, the unit has that special rule, not just the hero, just as with the banshee and her scream, basically, the only difference is being a character and price.

Arnizipal
23-01-2013, 22:45
I looked up the Troll Vomit attack and it specifically mentions that the whole unit has to use it (going by the answers to question 2 this means they projectile vomit from the second rank :p).

There's no such restriction with Cairn Wraiths so I guess they can pick and choose.

RejjeN
24-01-2013, 01:08
I looked up the Troll Vomit attack and it specifically mentions that the whole unit has to use it (going by the answers to question 2 this means they projectile vomit from the second rank :p).

There's no such restriction with Cairn Wraiths so I guess they can pick and choose.
Poor front rank...

herohammer
24-01-2013, 05:54
Yeah you can pick and choose. I used a unit of 10 with 10 heroes in a gag list for awhile ( a billion point unit that dies to a decent magic sword and a few magic missiles isn't exactly a great option when you could take crypt horrors, knights etc.)

Given that vomit specifically says that you all have to do it while chill grasp does not, I don't think that anyone challenged me on having the front rank swing and the back rank chill grasp with the single supporting attack.

This makes me want to get that silly army out of its case again, course I would probably end up against an S5 magic dwarf stonethrower...