PDA

View Full Version : Ravenwing Dreadnaughts?...

Lester
18-01-2013, 16:42
What happens when a Ravenwing Marine is inserted into a Dreadnaught? Normally Dreadnaughts serve along its Company Brothers but I don't think the Ravenwing would use Dreadnaughts.

Scalebug
18-01-2013, 18:24
Don't think that has been ever addressed (though I haven't read the new codex yet). Pretty sure we haven't seen any 2nd company Dreads, so we can guess it is something of the following:

They are already privy to enough secrets for it not to be too much of a deal for them to move up to serve along with the Deathwing.
If they are worthy of becoming Dreadnought, they probably have enough self control not to gossip about stuff, and can be placed with one of the line or reserve companies.
Like the White Scars (this was a rule in the 3rd ed version, using the Index Astartes modifications to the lists, it is not per se enforced in later lists, and so up to players to adhere to if they want to be fluffy) they have lived and served their entire career in the saddle, and being entombed in a slow metal shell would be too painful, so they choose the peace of death instead.

MarshalFaust
18-01-2013, 20:10
go forth Lester, and create a Dreadnought on a giant bike.

nedius
18-01-2013, 20:16
possibly would be drop podded in to finish off what the Ravenwing soften up?

Lord Damocles
18-01-2013, 21:12
Like the White Scars (this was a rule in the 3rd ed version, using the Index Astartes modifications to the lists, it is not per se enforced in later lists, and so up to players to adhere to if they want to be fluffy) they have lived and served their entire career in the saddle, and being entombed in a slow metal shell would be too painful, so they choose the peace of death instead.
The Ravenwing don't seem adverse to swapping their bikes for slow-moving Terminator Armour when they graduate to the Deathwing, though.

DYoung
18-01-2013, 21:20
When the prvious edition of Dark Angels came out, GW posted an article online about converting Dark Angels dreadnoughts and one of the dreads was from the Ravenwing. So in 2007 at least, GW thought Ravenwing dreadnoughts were plausible enough to publish.

Personally, my own dreadnought is a former master of the Ravenwing. Stick some icons on him, paint him black and the jobs a good'un.

Lord Squidar
18-01-2013, 21:41
I personally think its silly that they would not be made into dreadnoughts, especially if someone like one of the Black Knights fell and could be saved. Even if they do know terrible dark secrets, they spend most of their time sleeping. I would love to see your rendition of a 2nd company dread!

Spiney Norman
18-01-2013, 22:57
Aren't there parts to convert a Ravenwing Dreadnought on the Ravenwing conversion sprue?

Lester
18-01-2013, 23:03
Aren't there parts to convert a Ravenwing Dreadnought on the Ravenwing conversion sprue?

Those bits are generic DA iconography.

insectum7
18-01-2013, 23:03
I suspect that once pushed into a dreadnought, they're probably shifted to another companies organization.

If the model was a character of note, aren't they part of the Deathwing anyways, even if they are captain of a different company? Unless I'm missing something about DA org. I'd figure that a 2nd company captain would be placed into a Dreadnought and then reassigned to the 1st company.

prowla
19-01-2013, 05:42
They could be attached to the new Speeder to act as a living plasma turret, though - or use it necron-style as a floating platform :D

In any case, unless they have Stormravens, I don't think they would fit into the fast attack theme of Ravenwing. Then again, even Raven Guard have dreads so..

The Emperor
19-01-2013, 06:16
What happens when a Ravenwing Marine is inserted into a Dreadnaught? Normally Dreadnaughts serve along its Company Brothers but I don't think the Ravenwing would use Dreadnaughts.

DreadnOught.

And I doubt the Ravenwing has any Dreadnoughts. It'd only slow the rest of them down. He's probably reassigned to a separate company depending on who it is, either placed in a normal company or moved up into the Deathwing.

MajorWesJanson
19-01-2013, 09:17
As per Ravenwing, those who find out too much about the Fallen can be punished upwards into the Deathwing, so I would imagine that a Ravenwing Dreadnought would simply be attached to the Deathwing, rather than the Ravenwing.

Lord Squidar
19-01-2013, 12:58
What about someone like Samael, if he fell in battle but fitted the requirements of becoming a dreadnought wouldn't he be a ravenwing one?

bittick
19-01-2013, 13:40
DreadnOught.

And I doubt the Ravenwing has any Dreadnoughts. It'd only slow the rest of them down. He's probably reassigned to a separate company depending on who it is, either placed in a normal company or moved up into the Deathwing.

Both spellings are correct. GW uses the "o" in their publications, but both spellings are acceptable for the word.

5Pointer
19-01-2013, 13:56
Both spellings are correct. GW uses the "o" in their publications, but both spellings are acceptable for the word.

If GW uses the o spelling, then that is the name for that particular in-universe item; the alternate spelling for an item in our universe is not correct in this case.

The Custodian
19-01-2013, 20:01
Hrmmm... It would be interesting to convert... Either make it use the rules of a landspeeder or... Idk... Right now im thinking something like the Skaven wheel thingy. ONe massive central wheel around the sarcophagus with the weapons on the side...

bittick
20-01-2013, 05:17
If GW uses the o spelling, then that is the name for that particular in-universe item; the alternate spelling for an item in our universe is not correct in this case.

GW also uses "codexes". Just so we're all clear.