PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing Rule Questions

shaywarren18
19-01-2013, 15:29
I'm a rather new player.. well actually just started playing a few weeks ago. I find the wording in the rulebook very tricky.. and on top of that its sometimes hard to find where it even is. Throughout my Warhammer battles me and my friends have constant questions about if we played that right or wrong. And I figured instead of making a new thread for each rule question I was unsure about, I'd just make one thread and update it with new questions. So here we go...

1. Do you have to restrain every overrun, or do you get to chose to overrun or reform?
2. Does your champion or Character get a lookout sir role for a breath weapon(in close combat or not)?
3. This one is specifically toward the Ironblaster. It clearly says that "the cannonballs will fail to bounce only if both dice roll a misfire result" but than directly underneath that it says "if a misfire is rolled on the first artillery dice, roll a D6 and consult the following" ... so how does that play out if you say get 3-4 and says " you dont get to shoot this turn or next" ... basically im confused with the wording because it says it will always bounce unless both are misfires... than it says if the first artillery dice is a misfire, roll on the msifire chart... and some of them include blowing up or not firing that turn...
4. On the topic of warmachines... can they fire into combat?
5. Do you get armor saves on magic spells?
6.When you cast a spell saying "reduces targets leadership by -2" ... but than you cast a spell that says on its "unmodified leadership" the -2 spell means nothing right? ie. I cast "doom and darkness" than I try and cast "spirit leech"
7.When running horde formation, as soon as you lose one unit in your third row.. that whole row can no longer make supporting attacks?
8.Haveing a horde with spears, does that mean the fourth row gets to attack as well?
9.When charging, you move your unit into base contact with the enemy, maximizing units in contact for both sides, so say your charging a single unit, into a unit of four, all with the same base size, you would place him so that three models of the enemy are in contact, insteald of placing him directly in the middle, so only 2 are in contact?
10. When shooting a large target how do the modifiers work, if hes behind his own units? They count as hard cover so its -2 to hit?? Also is there no bonus for shooting a large target?
11. Kairos from DoC can he pick multiple spells from all lores, so say his right head can do life,light,beasts,shadow (or whatever not sure what they are) can he pick one spell from each?
11. If some who has stomps or thunderstomps has Always Strikes First, how does that correspond with his stomp attack?
12. If an enemy unit flees into one of your units, how does this work?

Thats the list I've complied up for now... hopefully you guys can help me out.. Like I said I'm new to the game.. as is everyone I play with.

Also, I use the IoB mini rulebook and any page references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Shay

Lance Tankmen
19-01-2013, 17:46
ill do my best with what i know.

1) for over run if your frenzied you must always over run/pursue. if not you may roll a Ld test to restrain.
2)for the template yes, in close combat unless you have less rank n file than 5 i think the unit takes the hits entirely.
3) the first one is the actual shot, so you roll a misfire it has to roll on the chart for gunpowder weapons. what its saying is, you roll for the shot and get a 4" now you roll for the bounce and get a misfire, you can reroll that.
4) no, but stone throwers can on accident from the scatter dice, cannons can never be shot in a way they hit a combat.
5)yes unless stated otherwise.
6) thats a good one as im not entirely sure cause i remember there being a thread on that type of Ld question, id say no but could be wrong
7)no. the other 9 can still swing, also remember ranks count for 5 not 10 so you'd still get a rank running horde with the 3rd rank only having 5.
8)yes.
9) my gaming group thats an often forgotten rule as the person charging never wants to get that many attacks back againest him, but i think you have to make it to where 3 get to swing.
10)theres no bonus that i know of for shooting a large target save for with a cannon its easy?
11) im not DoC but i think its only the one lore for each head not mutiple spells from different lores.
11?) they still strike last as thats the rule of stomp, its a special attack.
12) pretty sure they take a dangerous terrain test, i wouldnt know i face undead only but i think thats the rule

Kalandros
20-01-2013, 03:13
Stomps and Breaths cannot use Special rules from the model - a flaming model does not have flaming stomps - its breath is flaming only if the breath description says it is.
Daemons have a re-roll to wound banner, they can't apply it to the Herald's breath weapon.

This is in the FAQs, make sure to read them.

Artiee
20-01-2013, 04:07
3) What Lance said except that you roll on the chart thats on the page. (pg 51)

9) When charging, you have 1 free wheel to get as many models in combat as possible. There may be times where a building, unit or impassable terrain will make it impassible to get more then few models in contact.

12) when fleeing though a enemy unit, you take dangerous terrain test. If fleeing though a friendly unit, that unit needs to take a panic test unless they have a rule they do not have to. (like ITP)

shaywarren18
21-01-2013, 22:12
Thanks all for the replied. Very helpful.
I have a couple more, after playing some games with my Ogres vs a buddies Beastmen.

1.Does shooting a large target behind his own units cause any shooting modifiers?
2. The wording on bloodgreed confuses me. It says a unit with bloodgreed gets frenzy after winning combat. And than it says a unit that already has frenzy gets an extra attack each time he wins combat. So does that mean the units that dont start with frenzy ie. minotaurs/cygors.., once they get frenzy from winning combat, their frenzy attacks start to stack as well as say the doombull, who starts with frenzy?
3. In the moving phase, are you allowed to move one of your own units out of the way to than declare a charge on an enemy unit?

Scalebug
21-01-2013, 23:24
1. The effect of having the "Large Target" rule when shot at is that you cannot claim the cover modifier of -1 or -2 for being behind an obstacle (hedge, wall, etc), but the usual -2 Hard Cover for models between you and the shooters are not automatically waived. However, you still need to have the majority of the target obscured for it to come into play, so more often than not they will not get the modifier.

2. That is how it works.

3. Only by having them also charging, either something else and you move them first, or the same unit, in which case you will do a multiple charge (p.23 BRB). You can't make a normal move (or march) or have them doing compulsory moves, as that happens after charges.

Your previous question 1 is incorrectly answered above; You don't test to restrain from overrunning, you either can just choose to do it instead of reforming, or you have to do it (if you are Frenzied).

Artiee
22-01-2013, 00:51
Yes. for overrunning, (when a unit is wiped out in combat). You can choose to reform or to overrun. (unless you are frenzied). What you (shaywarren18) described is purse move after the a unit breaks.

Lord Solar Plexus
24-01-2013, 08:57
Don't you only get the choice to overrun if you wipe the enemy out on the turn you charge or was that from an older edition?

The FAQ's have recently added some more details to this, too. You cannot overrun warmachines, Skaven Slaves if the unit dies from the Cornered instead of wounds or Undead if the unit dies from Crumble instead of wounds or Demons if the unit dies from Unstable instead of wounds.

9.When charging, you move your unit into base contact with the enemy, maximizing units in contact for both sides, so say your charging a single unit, into a unit of four, all with the same base size, you would place him so that three models of the enemy are in contact, insteald of placing him directly in the middle, so only 2 are in contact?

Just a wee addition: There is a difference between models and units. A single model is also a unit of course but a single unit can be made up of any number of models. Maximizing means you have to move in such a way as to allow the largest possible number of models taking swings. Single models always align base-to-base with their opponent, not "across", ie straddling two or more bases, and diagonal contact is also contact.

Artiee
24-01-2013, 12:54
Yes.. only on the charge.

shaywarren18
24-01-2013, 13:37
So if you charge a unit, and wipe them out in combat... The only option you have is to overrun? You can't restrain and reform?

Scalebug
24-01-2013, 14:23
So if you charge a unit, and wipe them out in combat... The only option you have is to overrun? You can't restrain and reform?

It works like this; If you win, you can always do a reform (with some restrictions, but that doesn't matter here. Just saying, because otherwise someone will come and say "Uh-huh..not if..." :)), and this obviously is also the case if you in this winning has wiped out your opponent. Now, if you do that, win that is, and you were charging into combat immediately previous to fighting (so, you were not the one receiving the charge, and it was not the second or later round of an ongoing combat), you will get the choice of doing an overrun instead. There is no test to restrain, you choose to do it or not, unless you are frenzied, in which case you must overrun, with no chance of restraining.

shaywarren18
25-01-2013, 22:19
For Skaven weapons teams.. they each have their own profile for example it will have

Range:18" Strength:4 Damage:1 Save: -2

I understand it all but the Damage part... what does that refer too... the number of attacks it gets?

Also when measuring for the waprfire thrower...(this may seem like a stupid question, but I like to double checl) but you do you measure starting at the narrow end?

shaywarren18
25-01-2013, 22:23
Also it says all weapons teams attacks are magical... but what does that mean exactly?

Mr_Rose
25-01-2013, 22:31
Damage is the number of wounds it deals per hit; a cannon with a profile presented like that would have a damage value of "D6" for example.

You can measure from any point you like so long as you use it consistently; it's not like measuring one way makes the template longer somehow…

As for magical attacks, on its own that does nothing special, but several other rules interact differently with magical damage compared to mundane, like the Ethereal rule for example.

shaywarren18
27-01-2013, 19:41
If you attempt to dispel something but fail.. can you still use your dispel scroll to dispell that same spell?

RejjeN
27-01-2013, 19:52
No, you only get a single attempt to dispel each single spell. Plus if your wizard with the Dispel Scroll fails to dispel he can't elect to use the Dispel Scroll later in the phase either as it is used "instead of attempting to dispel the spell with dispel dice".

shaywarren18
27-01-2013, 21:42
Am I reading the skaven book right; thinking that plague monks, censor bearers, plagueclaw catapult, furnace, priest and lord skrolk can only be wounded on 6's?

RejjeN
28-01-2013, 00:34
I think that refers to their ranged poison weapons, but if you could provide some rules quote then that would help.

shaywarren18
28-01-2013, 02:09
On page 46 in the Skaven codex under the "Plague Censer"

Ill write out the whole thing.

"The dreaded plague censer is a weapon that is only borne by the degenerate ratmen of clan pestilens.

A plague censer is a Warpstone Weapon and counts as a flail with the following additional rules to cover the deadly fog that surrounds such vile weapons.

At the beginning of any close combat phase all models(friends or foe) in base contact with one or more models bearing a plague censer must take a toughness test or suffer a single wound with no armour save allowed. This means that a model need only take a single such toughness test in each round of combat, regardless of the number of plague censers that it might be adjacent to. Remember all such wounds count for combat resolution. Wounds caused by the fog are resolved before impact hits, issuing challenges and revealing assassins.

All Clan Pestilens models, that is, Plague Monks, Plague Priests, Plague Censer Bearers, Plague Furnace, Lord Skrolk, and the Plagueclaw Catapult suffer a wound only on a roll of 6."

So I guess after reading it again... my own models are affected by the fog... but they can only be wounded if they fail their toughness test by rolling a 6?

kefkah
28-01-2013, 02:22
Yeah, on that T test caused by the censers, you only suffer a wound when rolling a 6.

shaywarren18
28-01-2013, 02:25
So basically if i have a unit of 20 censer bearers... every combat phase... all 20 take a toughness test?

Mid'ean
28-01-2013, 11:02
11: Kairos: One head may choose four spells from Life, , Metal, Light and Heavens. The other head my choose 4 spells from Death, Beast, Shadow and Fire. In any combination he chooses.

Darkminion
28-01-2013, 11:41
@shaywarren18,

Alltough I am always glad to help, please take the time to find some answers for yourself. Many of your questions are very basic rules that are explained very accurate in the rulebook. Try to get a basic grab of the rules and once the big red book does not give an answer for it or you cannot find it ask your question here.

A tip also, to get a hang of the game, play some games with experienced players. Most people (well, around here anyway) are always open to help a hand when teaching new players how things work.

Good luck and have fun!

D...

theunwantedbeing
28-01-2013, 13:27
So basically if i have a unit of 20 censer bearers... every combat phase... all 20 take a toughness test?

Provided they're all in base contact with a bearer of a plague censor, yes.

shaywarren18
28-01-2013, 13:37
Suddenly they're not as strong haha

theunwantedbeing
28-01-2013, 14:57
Suddenly they're not as strong haha

Yes, that tends to happen when you go from not following the rules to following them.

shaywarren18
28-01-2013, 16:54
Yes, that tends to happen when you go from not following the rules to following them.

Actually I have not yet played with my skaven. I was reading their codex before I played with them making sure I understood all the rules before I made those mistakes in game. I simply misunderstood the wording.

Senor
01-02-2013, 09:20
You can also find more detailed info for your Skaven questions on the "underempire" forum of the Skaven.

You can Google it.

Reading all their topics, saved me a a lot of asking questions, myself.

shaywarren18
01-02-2013, 22:33
You can also find more detailed info for your Skaven questions on the "underempire" forum of the Skaven.

You can Google it.

Reading all their topics, saved me a a lot of asking questions, myself.

Thank you sir, I will check it out