PDA

View Full Version : What makes vanilla marines better than other codex marines?

Importman
21-01-2013, 10:12
I am thinking of starting a "Smurfs" army based on Tyranid veterans. Have already got some minis from the old starter set. But am thinking what should I include to make my vanilla marines on par as their newer codex brothers?
Thanks for your advice in advance.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

A.T.
21-01-2013, 10:30
But am thinking what should I include to make my vanilla marines on par as their newer codex brothers?A decent chapter tactic HQ.

Bartali
21-01-2013, 11:07
A decent chapter tactic HQ.

That's the last thing you'd want to do. Combat Tactics keeps SM Tacticals on a par with most other Marine troops

A.T.
21-01-2013, 11:24
That's the last thing you'd want to doDepends on how you like to play your marines. In any event combat tactics or their replacement are something to look into when starting a marine force, especially if you use forgeworld and their broad range of SM characters.

metro_gnome
21-01-2013, 11:40
well your Hammer terminators are much cheaper than everyone eles's...
You also have access to the Ironclad, the storm and the Thunderfire cannon... which all have their uses...
there are also scout bikers and the legion of the damned... but that's not giving anyone any advantages...
Something could be said for Telion (but not for Chronus)... And then there is the Master of the Forge...
And finally there are the special characters (codex and FW) if you are looking for something specific...

I think that about covers it...

Zombie P
21-01-2013, 12:34
Also space marine bike armies. Although not ultimately competitive, they can take a lot of people by surprise and most people don't really know how to deal with them.
As for special characters, Lysander is one of the hardest Characters in the game.
We are also forgetting sternguard, who are one of THE most versatile units in the game. 4 different types of ammunition and access to cheap combi weapons means that a basic unit of 5, all with combi weapons can pod in and make things dead. And they are veterans so they have 2A each, it can be quite a surprise for people when they fight hand to hand. Its all about versitility, and at a competitive level, Hammernators and Terminator Librarians.

ZP

Menthak
21-01-2013, 16:38
well your Hammer terminators are much cheaper than everyone eles's...
You also have access to the Ironclad, the storm and the Thunderfire cannon... which all have their uses...
there are also scout bikers and the legion of the damned... but that's not giving anyone any advantages...
Something could be said for Telion (but not for Chronus)... And then there is the Master of the Forge...
And finally there are the special characters (codex and FW) if you are looking for something specific...

I think that about covers it...

Legion of the Damned have their uses, They're anti-heavy weapon linebreakers.

Other than that:
Strong Characters, a more varied choice compared to other Marine codices, more of a model range to choose from and finally (and this is the best bit) you get moral superiority! For not picking a particually OP codex COUGH Spacewolves COUGH Blood Angels COUGH Grey Knigts COUGH. So when you win, it's because you've earned it, not because you've picked a OP codex.

Lord Damocles
21-01-2013, 18:15
Used properly, Combat Tactics is a huge advantage.

Codex: Space Marines also gives you access to Chaplain Cassius who, as the founder of the Tyranic War Veterans would make an ideal HQ choice.

Lantern
21-01-2013, 18:36
I'm heading towards a similar army myself. Ultramarines were my first games workshop models purchased nearly 20 years ago (and dear god, does that make me feel old). Having collected a full company (The Second Company), I set my sights on a Tyrannic themed list too. As pointed out, Codex marines have access to Sternguard, the perfect anti-Tyranids unit. I use the Ultramarine Tyrannic War Veteran models to represent them (some of my favourite models actually). I also have 2 of the forge world Tyrannic War dreadnoughts (unpainted for now, so feel free to pile on the shame to motivate me to paint them), as well as Cassius, really helping theme the army. If you can get the spare parts, there is a Tyrannic war veteran faceplate included with the standard gw venerable dreadnought plastic kit too, I plan on using it to emblazon a rhino. As for the tactical squads, whilst I'm using basic ones for now, I'm pondering getting an Iron Hands upgrade kit (FULL of bionics) to help theme the army even further through its tactical squads (good idea? Yes? No?).
When compared to other Codex chapters, you'll find Ultramarine well supported in model range and accessories. In fact, if you do go ahead with it, I'd love to see what you do (stealing ideas, obviously ;) ). Perhaps theme a small list towards a tournament (1500 points or so) and take it from there?