PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Chapters destroying traitors?

anarnii
22-01-2013, 14:11
Hello,

There seems to be a healthy number of occasions why loyal chapters have been destroyed by various factions.

I was wondering if anywhere theres records of an entire traitor legion being wiped out?

Ideally (for my own background) it would be great if it was a nurgle / unspecified chaos gods forces, destroyed by a founding legion.

Any help appreciated!

Londinium
22-01-2013, 14:17
An entire traitor legion?!?

Very unlikely, there are large in number compared to the current space marine chapters and there's too much background invested in them for GW to do something so extreme. Now a traitor chapter there's potential there but I can't remember one off the top of my head. No doubt one of the fluff masters here will know of one.

BooTMGSG
22-01-2013, 14:58
Most of the Traitor Legions legions have been destroyed.

That is to say most of them have fractured and cease function as legions (Chaos is not that organised).
As it stands it is hard for a legion to be destroyed, because they do not enter the field as a legion, but as the odd choatic warband with a couple of former X legion.

Valrak
22-01-2013, 17:55
If you the watch the Film Ultramarine, 12 Ultras wipe out the entire Black Legion.

totgeboren
22-01-2013, 18:16
As there are only 9 traitor legions, having one of them be destroyed by loyalists is unlikely in the extreme, and would make your setting be at conflict with the rest of w40k. It is comparable with you saying that your chapter having destroyed the 'all orks'. No faction can be destroyed like that. Especially considering a loyalist chapter only consists of around 1,000 marines, whilst even the smallest traitor legion numbers many times that number.

But there would be no problem if say a founding legion/chapter like the Ultramarines destroy a Death Guard warband. However, having them destroy the entire Death Guard legion would require them to find and kill Mortarion in the Eye of Terror, not to mention managing to take out Typhus plague fleet, and I'm sure there are countless smaller Death Guard fleets raiding and spreading Father Nurgles gifts across the worlds of the Imperium.

But because there are many smaller fleets, they could manage to destroy one of them. A quite unlikely occurrence, and would require a row of catastrophic events for the Death Guard, but not impossible. A chaos warband is destroyed in its entirety even less often than a Chapter, as the chaos dudes are not at all as prone to heroic last stands, and don't have as much problems with leaving brothers behind either. So a few always gets away.

TheDungen
22-01-2013, 20:33
No, the traitor legions were exactly 9 and numbered tens of thousands of space marines and while many have died during the heresy and after chaos can replenish their losses. while the legions as organisations no longer exist their fighting strength is pretty much undiminished.

If you the watch the Film Ultramarine, 12 Ultras wipe out the entire Black Legion.

Eh? they kill maybe a dozen black legionaries and a daemon prince.

Inquisitor Engel
22-01-2013, 22:27

Those same dozen CSM and a daemon prince did manage to kill off an entire BATTLE COMPANY of Imperial Fists OFF SCREEN though. Who were apparently on garrison duty. Guarding a book. Instead of ... ugh, I'm done. Can we pretend that movie never happened?

The bearded one
22-01-2013, 23:13
Those same dozen CSM and a daemon prince did manage to kill off an entire BATTLE COMPANY of Imperial Fists OFF SCREEN though. Who were apparently on garrison duty. Guarding a book. Instead of ... ugh, I'm done. Can we pretend that movie never happened?

Blame Dan abnett for it then :p In any case that company was killed by opening a daemon portal and summoning crazy daemonpowers right above the monestary.

TheDungen
23-01-2013, 00:40
those IF weathered the storm and there was a few of them left when the UM arrived and in the end only one of the UM survived.

Valrak
23-01-2013, 05:02
No, the traitor legions were exactly 9 and numbered tens of thousands of space marines and while many have died during the heresy and after chaos can replenish their losses. while the legions as organisations no longer exist their fighting strength is pretty much undiminished.

It was a joke.

Excessus
23-01-2013, 10:25
Well, the Alpha Legion has been wiped out three times already according to the high lords of terra... ;)

stormblade
23-01-2013, 11:55
Well, the Alpha Legion has been wiped out three times already according to the high lords of terra... ;)

I thought it never existed in the first place.

anarnii
23-01-2013, 15:04
Sorry meant chapter.

It just seems every large engagement sees some obscure loyalist successor chapter get annihilated. I know there's a lot less fluff on traiter chapters, but i was wondering if there was any mentions, outside of various C:CSM about it.

TheDungen
23-01-2013, 16:20
traitor chapters have received a lot less attention that the loyalist ones, especially in the older editions. The death shadows (formely the lionguard chapter when they were loyal) was 'probably' wiped out by a tyranid splinter fleet however.

Valorel
23-01-2013, 17:20

I remember I have read that the word bearer is still working as a legion, more or less (more than loyalist legion since ultrasmurf's codex anyway), with 2 major factions inside
I never had any interest in the iron warrior fluff, but they may be the same AFAIK

nedius
23-01-2013, 19:43
Wiped out?

Well, there are the Soul Drinkers, but then they half wiped themselves out when one half realised the other half were, in fact, traitors. During the Badab War, several chapters were defeated, but ultimately pardoned on the condition of penatent crusades (Mantis Warriors, Executioners and Lamentors), so whilst not wiped out, the traitor chapter was completely defeated.

Had a quick look through the official choas chapters listed over at Lexicanum, and none seem to be listed as destroyed.

Kingsbridge
23-01-2013, 20:29
Craftworld Lugganath are supposed to have wiped out a Renegade Chapter called the Steel Hearts in M41... No mention of any Imperial assistance being present or required though.

agurus1
23-01-2013, 20:49
I remember I have read that the word bearer is still working as a legion, more or less (more than loyalist legion since ultrasmurf's codex anyway), with 2 major factions inside
I never had any interest in the iron warrior fluff, but they may be the same AFAIK

Iron Warriors, while not working as a Legion, do generally seem to respect the authority of Perturabo and most if not all Iron Warrior outposts pay tithes back to Mendrengard (IW homebase). I say that they don't act as a legion because as far as I know they haven't deployed in a single conflict at Legion strength since the Heresy, but all of the Great Companies do seem to follow some greater plan.

Excessus
23-01-2013, 23:42
Check out the Abyssal crusade in C:CSM, there are a lot of "lost" chapters there...

Wyrmwood
24-01-2013, 13:48
Craftworld Lugganath are supposed to have wiped out a Renegade Chapter called the Steel Hearts in M41... No mention of any Imperial assistance being present or required though.
Steel Hearts!? Primarch Rubinek? No!

Excessus
24-01-2013, 13:58
There is no such primarch...

Wyrmwood
24-01-2013, 14:12
:mad: Blasphemer. Rubinek was, and will forever be, the most accomplished, most secretive and most handsome of all the Primarchs. He was also a connoisseur of soft dining and spiced wine.

Rogue Star
24-01-2013, 14:36
Steel Hearts!? Primarch Rubinek? No!

Wasn't that the Iron Hearts? ;)

Hengist
24-01-2013, 20:27
Wasn't that the Iron Hearts? ;)

Regrettably yes, but I'm enjoying these revelations about Rubinek the Urbane.