PDA

View Full Version : Your perfect warhammer dream

m1acca1551
25-01-2013, 02:41
Simple,

Tell me/us what your perfect idea of warhammer.

M1acca1551

IcedCrow
25-01-2013, 02:53
A game with actual armies clashing (as opposed to a hero and his bodyguard (5th edition), or where every kingdom defends themselves entirely with cavalry and small units of cavalry at that (6th/7th) or where the army is one massive blob of troops) where the aesthetics are as important as the game, and the balance is tight so that power gaming cannot happen simply because there aren't just a couple of power builds that everyone flocks to that outshine everything else.

Veshnakar
25-01-2013, 03:13
Games Workshop actually giving a damn about Chaos Dwarfs. I know the forgeworld book is leaps and bounds lately, but my friends still don't treat it like an actual army. I don't even field magma cannons or destroyers either. =(

outbreak
25-01-2013, 03:14
The rules being balanced and well written so that there's no confusion or arguments over interpretations. For warhammer players to lighten up and realise that we all play this game to have fun. For games workshop to take Australian players out to dinner before the f us with their crazy currency price mark ups and export bans.

Voss
25-01-2013, 03:24
A head of steel, forged in a cave as near as possible to where the iron was wrested from the living rock, and stout length of oak, smoothed and polished over a hundred days by a hundred vir... wait. You weren't talking about that kind of warhammer, were you? Probably good, as you don't to know where the leather grip comes from.

But ok, a varied composition of units, where the battle comes down to the models and the skill, and not unit cracked off the normal power balance, supported slightly by magic, not with all-annihilating wizards. Its a battle where generals are generals, and wizards are frail little targets hiding under pointy hats, for fear a man with a sword will have their ribcage for a hat.

A battle where a two dozen men may or may not be a match for a fearsome beast, but no one knows for sure, because the fight could go either way, and armored knights don't bounce off massive packs of slaves, but have plenty to fear from being bogged down and overwhelmed.

A battle where leaders of men (and other races) raise their followers up to glory, but don't butcher others by the handful all on their own.

Hmm. I guess I really want characters to be reduced to support pieces that provide benefits (warrior priests are a good model, but others could provide frenzy or devastating charge or XX-stride or whatever), rather than centerpiece combatants.

Kayosiv
25-01-2013, 05:03
All prices dropping by 50% on everything.

Voodoo1
25-01-2013, 05:07
Bretonnians to get a new book!!!

Blkc57
25-01-2013, 05:13
A more timely release of all army books and rules updates without having to comb through White Dwarf articles to find the information I want. Is that too much to ask for in this world?

m1acca1551
25-01-2013, 05:28
The rules being balanced and well written so that there's no confusion or arguments over interpretations. For warhammer players to lighten up and realise that we all play this game to have fun. For games workshop to take Australian players out to dinner before the f us with their crazy currency price mark ups and export bans.

Hahahaha at the very least buy us a few rounds!

lbecks
25-01-2013, 05:43
More models overall (and new factions) with tons of options and cheaper prices produced in either plastic or masters quality resin.

And they bring back EM Masterclass.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
25-01-2013, 08:04
Warhammer would be exactly where I want it to be if Magic Resistance provided a ward save against Magic Effects rather than Magic Missiles.

The terrain selection would be more expansive and each army would have an accompanying terrain release.

If Monster and Allies were a part of the basic make-up of an army (25% like in the good ole days), I'd be a happy camper.

Banville
25-01-2013, 09:48
Drop prices. Speed up army book releases. Publish regular errata and FAQ's that actually fix obviously broken stuff. Playtest rigorously before release.

boli
25-01-2013, 14:38
Releases of models / kits independent from army books; they are too linked into army/edition releases.

King Arthur
25-01-2013, 15:08
Ghal Maraz...

A new bretonnia book with good grail knights!!!

Vazalaar
25-01-2013, 15:13
Bretonnians to get a new book!!!

This x1000:)
And please give me new HE core... .

dementian
25-01-2013, 15:17
Holographic animated armies that when they fight/shoot/magic you see the holographic representations do the same

ChaoslordAzaroth1980
25-01-2013, 15:19
Greater Daemons that are close to the power level that they are in the fluff
Magic Defence for mono Khorne daemon/ warrior armies please
Ogres to be made into something similar to dogs of war (I really dont like the thought of a complete army of ogres)
Mark of Khorne to even give us a extra dispel dice for each character who has it OR to just give every unit/ character with the mark magic res 1 (2 for heroes 3 for lords)
To stop this cack about Khorne only being about mindless blood shed and to give some buff to show his champions martial prowess and martial pride
Make Mono god and fluffy armies viable plz

shakedown47
25-01-2013, 15:47
First, and probably most important, timely release of army books. Every army should have a book corresponding to a specific edition, and within two years of that edition's arrival. We need books for every edition far more than we need four new units or model kits per new book. Also, each book needs to be more of a team effort than what we see currently; instead of a single head writer, each book should be co-authored by two or even three writers to help usher in an age of less disparity between book power levels. This, along with a massive increase in the release rate, should help keep the notion of recognizable "tiers" to a minimum and keep units costed more appropriately.

I'd like to see an increase in the augment/hex aspect of the magic phase, although with slightly less synergy within each lore (wait...what? Your saurus are initiative 10, and Ws 10, and have asf, AND an additional attack?!!!) In addition, damage spells need to get scaled way down. Things like fire and lightning and whatnot should probably get increased in efficacy, strength 7 or maybe more, 2d6 hits AT MOST, but completely removing spells like dwellers, final transmutation, mindrazor, etc from the game could only be an improvement in my opinion. I'm a big fan of Heavens and Beasts as they currently stand, for example (except Comet. I know it usually doesn't work well, and it's unreliable, and it's more control than damage oriented, but when it goes off big it's a game ender and that's no fun for either player.)

Finally, and this isn't anything that is in GW's power, but I would like to see the average game size, as far as bodies on the board, scaled up to today's 3500-4000 pt. level. Obviously that's only to do with the people playing the game, and having to buy, assemble, and paint that many minis would certainly be daunting for many people, but large games are just more FUN in my opinion and go a long way towards bringing balance between armies. They also, despite what you might read, don't take all that much longer to play amongst experienced players than a smaller game. If a 2500 pt game takes me an hour and a half, a 4000 pt game might take 2, 2.25 hours max. This has mostly to do with accessibility, as well as the standard size for tournaments (which the usual casual game-day lists seem to hover near) but since this is a wishlisting thread I thought I'd mention it. Basically, I'd like to roll up to the game store with a 3000+ point army with the assumption that every other player there could accomodate me in a game.

ChaoslordAzaroth1980
25-01-2013, 18:25
First, and probably most important, timely release of army books. Every army should have a book corresponding to a specific edition, and within two years of that edition's arrival. We need books for every edition far more than we need four new units or model kits per new book. Also, each book needs to be more of a team effort than what we see currently; instead of a single head writer, each book should be co-authored by two or even three writers to help usher in an age of less disparity between book power levels. This, along with a massive increase in the release rate, should help keep the notion of recognizable "tiers" to a minimum and keep units costed more appropriately.

I'd like to see an increase in the augment/hex aspect of the magic phase, although with slightly less synergy within each lore (wait...what? Your saurus are initiative 10, and Ws 10, and have asf, AND an additional attack?!!!) In addition, damage spells need to get scaled way down. Things like fire and lightning and whatnot should probably get increased in efficacy, strength 7 or maybe more, 2d6 hits AT MOST, but completely removing spells like dwellers, final transmutation, mindrazor, etc from the game could only be an improvement in my opinion. I'm a big fan of Heavens and Beasts as they currently stand, for example (except Comet. I know it usually doesn't work well, and it's unreliable, and it's more control than damage oriented, but when it goes off big it's a game ender and that's no fun for either player.)

Finally, and this isn't anything that is in GW's power, but I would like to see the average game size, as far as bodies on the board, scaled up to today's 3500-4000 pt. level. Obviously that's only to do with the people playing the game, and having to buy, assemble, and paint that many minis would certainly be daunting for many people, but large games are just more FUN in my opinion and go a long way towards bringing balance between armies. They also, despite what you might read, don't take all that much longer to play amongst experienced players than a smaller game. If a 2500 pt game takes me an hour and a half, a 4000 pt game might take 2, 2.25 hours max. This has mostly to do with accessibility, as well as the standard size for tournaments (which the usual casual game-day lists seem to hover near) but since this is a wishlisting thread I thought I'd mention it. Basically, I'd like to roll up to the game store with a 3000+ point army with the assumption that every other player there could accomodate me in a game.

Sure you can have all of that when Khorne gets a decent way to finally defend itself from magic.

Hudson Gameover
25-01-2013, 18:33
Every edition of warhammer should have a new edition of every army book before the next warhammer comes out.

Lars Porsenna
25-01-2013, 18:45
Prices dropped at least 25% across the board. Also more opportunities for gametime... :)

Damon.

pippin_nl
25-01-2013, 19:26
Easy: me writing the next Skaven, Bretonnia and Dark Elf army books, me writing 9th edition. That will be enough for the coming year!

jet_palero
26-01-2013, 00:08
Simple,
Tell me/us what your perfect idea of warhammer.

Having a group of local like minded adult friends who are also interested in the hobby.

Deon
26-01-2013, 02:16
lower prices, the prices are puching a lot of people out of the hobby.
It is a wonderfull hobby, but the prices ar ruining it !!

SteveW
26-01-2013, 03:46
The prices dont bug me, I can see if someone is new to the hobbie it would but having armies upon armies already I can build slowly with no need to rush. My dream is to have a hand in developing the next bret book. I have been playing them since the day the starter set came out and have had tonns of ideas for them for years now.

Lance Tankmen
26-01-2013, 04:22
the prices lowered, i see too many local players who prefer warmachine now, for the cost of 3-4 warmachine armies they could buy one fantasy/40k or so im told, rules are quick and the games better or so im told

MaliceXR3
26-01-2013, 15:09
a game where magic is part of, but never dominates proceedings, other than that, a stout, reliable set of rules with an even power curve across the board and timely releases of army books would enable me to take Fantasy up a more seriously

BigbyWolf
26-01-2013, 16:13
Greater Daemons that are close to the power level that they are in the fluff

They are already very powerful, they don't need to be more so. Most things are bigged up in the fluff.

Rogue
26-01-2013, 16:28
Real simple for me. 6th Edition Core rules and armybooks, but with any WAB mechanics that are not already in the 6th.

cyberspite
26-01-2013, 16:29
2 minute trolley dash in my local store :p

Moshes
26-01-2013, 16:40
Less magic, less powerful characters (or characters that the only thing they can do is command instead of fight), a real command system, less silly armies and bizarre troops, a universal point system, generic and customizable army lists, a warhammer world which is not a stereotype of itshelf. That will be a mix between ASOFAI and WHAB.

zhu bajie
27-01-2013, 19:46
Less magic, less powerful characters (or characters that the only thing they can do is command instead of fight), a real command system, less silly armies and bizarre troops, a universal point system, generic and customizable army lists, a warhammer world which is not a stereotype of itshelf. That will be a mix between ASOFAI and WHAB.

Take a look at 2nd and 3rd edition Warhammer.

Ratarsed
27-01-2013, 21:26
Every edition of warhammer should have a new edition of every army book before the next warhammer comes out.
I think there is a lot to be said for the slow trickle of new stuff coming out. Each new army revives the game as the positions of the others shift and the nature of armies change to adapt to the new kid in town. Although to be fair from a gamers point of view each army should get attention before they revisit an army a further time. How much business sense this would make I cannot say.

Demiurg
27-01-2013, 21:34
Remember that minor fractions thread. That.

And Chaos Dwarfs

Lanparth
28-01-2013, 06:24
Oh man, its been a while since I posted anything.

I think this thread intrigues me because there is fundamentally so much more I want to see from the game. I'd want to see them advance the story forward, have a much more living storyline and community. That'll never happen, but I'd love it.

I'd also like to see a Tilean Republic, or Empire join the game. The city states coming together through diplomacy and conquest to reform a Reman Republic. I'd love to see a Romanesque and Hellenistic army, but with extremely heavy elements from the Renascence. A dsicplined, high armour save, low toughness army that has weaknesses in calvary, but their infantry have advantages in reforming and such, and a fundimentally melee army.

I'd love to see Cathay. Its almost hard to imagine a Cathay army in a lot of ways given the era. But it'd be fantastic.

And finally I'd want to see the Estaliar Kingdom.

Yep, I'd want them to add 3 armies to the game. <.<

Exorcist
28-01-2013, 08:02
Warhammer should have more crushing of your enemies, so you can see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women!

orlanth1000
28-01-2013, 08:07
No more cartoon characters.

White Dwarf goes back to something of substance.

Price reduction.

Warhammer goes back to Grimdark, not Walt Disney.

Mat Ward writes every army book.

snyggejygge
28-01-2013, 09:48
My dream of a perfect warhammer world is probably very different to many others.

First I would limit the amount of armies, this to fit my imagery & also to be able to have more balanced books since it wouldn't be as many armies to think of.

Good races:
Humans (generic, able to build from different kingdoms such as Empire, Bretonnia, Kislev)
Elves (Mix of HE & WE)
Dwarves

Neutral races:
Greenskins
Mercenaries

Evil races:
Chaos (God based instead of race based, so basically armies of Khorne, Nurgle etc with option to make them themed to either beasts or warriors, daemons are summoned, Chaos dwarfs & Dark elves here as well, as they would be Chaos worshippers)
Undead
Skaven

Yes I know, no Lizardmen or Ogres, personally I hate Lizardmen fluffwise & modelwise, effin dinosaurs & Ogres would be part of other armies as they used to (fits right into Humans, Greenskins, mercenaries & Chaos).

Ruleswise I would go with 6:th edition rules with a few tweaks:
Units may always strike back if any models survive
Charging gives +1 Initiative & +1 Combat resolution instead of ASF
Units which outnumber the opponent at least 2-1 are stubborn
Current magic system, however with same spells as 6:th edition & double 1's is a miscast
Core/special/rare & characters would be selected in % instead of numbers, just like it is now.

Lars Porsenna
28-01-2013, 23:31
Chaos elves! I think I would pass on that vision... :)

Damon.

ASTINOFF
29-01-2013, 03:34
Drop prices. Speed up army book releases. Publish regular errata and FAQ's that actually fix obviously broken stuff. Playtest rigorously before release.

Amen to that!

Noble Korhedron
29-01-2013, 17:34
Holographic animated armies that when they fight/shoot/magic you see the holographic representations do the sameSounds too much like Yu-gi-oh! to me!! :(:confused:

Ganethis
29-01-2013, 21:17
All prices dropping by 50% on everything.

^
this id say..

Ninevoltcat
30-01-2013, 04:50
A living Online Rulebook, where the game is constantly getting balanced and changed like online videogame patches. not only would it make it more fair for tournement play, I think they could spice up the game. e.g. one patch silverhelms get better, then people actually use them. rather than waiting 3-6 years between books.

m1acca1551
30-01-2013, 04:55
A living Online Rulebook, where the game is constantly getting balanced and changed like online videogame patches. not only would it make it more fair for tournement play, I think they could spice up the game. e.g. one patch silverhelms get better, then people actually use them. rather than waiting 3-6 years between books.

Your an ideas man mate! pity we can only ever dream of this happening.

Sthenio
31-01-2013, 03:20
Magic more akin to its portrayal in Tolkien's works: make it more of a reliable, yet subtle force that alters the ebb and flow of the battle rather than an unpredictable atomic payload that wipes units out with a freak double six.

Models with a greater role than just being there as ablative wounds for the first two ranks. Do you know how many clanrats I've painted that haven't ever gotten into combat? It's disheartening.

Replacing some of the older plastic kits before releasing new units. I'd have happily picked up Tomb Kings had they seen their skeletons updated to the same standard as the Vampire core. Instead of my buying an armful of Skeletons, I've instead picked up exactly zero Snake Riders... Fewer big kits, more emphasis on getting everyone's core up to a consistent standard.

Removing that stupid ASF on High Elves and amending Steadfast. Maybe having it cancelled by Fear/Terror?

I don't know... I don't get to play FB nearly as much as I'd like. My local scene is almost exclusively PP these days, which saddens me. 8th ed has killed FB off here, yet I prefer it over 7th which used to be the "big system"

rpgranty
02-02-2013, 02:36
I fear this will not be the case, I've heard from a reliable source that GW are planning on merging Bretonnia and Empire armies to create a single human army. The plan to do the same with Wood Elves and High Elves too.... these are sad times.....

Lance Tankmen
02-02-2013, 04:41
I fear this will not be the case, I've heard from a reliable source that GW are planning on merging Bretonnia and Empire armies to create a single human army. The plan to do the same with Wood Elves and High Elves too.... these are sad times..... id have to purchase a warhorse a 2 handed sword, knightly armour and ride to GW and demand my bretonnian army back! oh wait 8th ed empires out... so ive time to prepare for 9th if they do it then.

Urgat
02-02-2013, 08:44
I fear this will not be the case, I've heard from a reliable source that GW are planning on merging Bretonnia and Empire armies to create a single human army. The plan to do the same with Wood Elves and High Elves too.... these are sad times.....

Didn't the reliable source notice we've just had the new Empire book, and it had a distinct lack of bretonnians in it? Or maybe he's so reliable he knows what's going to be in the next book in 6 years?

Da GoBBo
02-02-2013, 08:54

Really? That doesn't make any kinds of sense. I heard about merging wood elves with bretonnia though.

Dreams for this game? Return of the 5th edition magic system (I really liked the game within the game). And for GW to realise they are releasing a game as well as miniatures. And a Nagash campaign (with a new Nagash model).

One Man Assault
02-02-2013, 09:24
Less magic, less powerful characters (or characters that the only thing they can do is command instead of fight), a real command system, less silly armies and bizarre troops, a universal point system, generic and customizable army lists, a warhammer world which is not a stereotype of itshelf. That will be a mix between ASOFAI and WHAB.Basically Warmaster. Look up 'Ancient Master' on google and you find a pdf with all the basic points values for warmaster, which is generic but yet customizable.

Noble Korhedron
02-02-2013, 20:34
A living Online Rulebook, where the game is constantly getting balanced and changed like online videogame patches. not only would it make it more fair for tournement play, I think they could spice up the game. e.g. one patch silverhelms get better, then people actually use them. rather than waiting 3-6 years between books.I would SO vote for this!! :)

rpgranty
02-02-2013, 22:19
Perhaps this merging Bretonnia and Wood Elves is what he meant then... either way, the future of both armies is not secure, which is certainly a great shame.

SkawtheFalconer
02-02-2013, 22:27
Perhaps this merging Bretonnia and Wood Elves is what he meant then... either way, the future of both armies is not secure, which is certainly a great shame.

I really wish this crazy idea would stop being dredged up. It really isn't happening.

Noble Korhedron
02-02-2013, 22:42
Perhaps this merging Bretonnia and Wood Elves is what he meant then... either way, the future of both armies is not secure, which is certainly a great shame.How do you figure that their futures aren't fully secure - have you heard similar rumors....?

TheCount
02-02-2013, 23:11
Holographic animated armies that when they fight/shoot/magic you see the holographic representations do the same

I've thought about this for years, especially as a younger child, and i always seen it as a eventually place tabletop gaming would go,

In an alternative idea but still similar to this i've always imagined if the hologram didnt take over or at least wasnt the only option, we'd eventually use small robotic miniatures that fought from our command literally from voice commands and have some semblance of AI to take over as even "god" cant be everywhere :)

Thats the long term dream anyway lol,

In the short term i'd love to see 3d printing come to the forefront so i could create my mini's on a computer then print them and paint them.

But for now anyway, i echo the other persons comments of rules to match how things should be and not the other way around. Horde armies actually being a horde etc.

rpgranty
02-02-2013, 23:13
I've heard a lot of rumours, both online and from the manager of my local GW store. I'm not 100% sure if any of them are true, but it's certainly something to think about. Perhaps the reason the Wood Elves and Bretonnia haven't been updated is because they never will be, they are by far the least popular armies in WF, so it seems likely. Think about the Kislev and Chaos Dwarf armies that once existed, now they are no longer legally playable, it's possible - and with the Empire and High/Dark Elves, are Bretonnia and Wood Elves really worth it? Even though I adore the Wood Elves.

TheCount
03-02-2013, 00:40
I've heard a lot of rumours, both online and from the manager of my local GW store. I'm not 100% sure if any of them are true, but it's certainly something to think about. Perhaps the reason the Wood Elves and Bretonnia haven't been updated is because they never will be, they are by far the least popular armies in WF, so it seems likely. Think about the Kislev and Chaos Dwarf armies that once existed, now they are no longer legally playable, it's possible - and with the Empire and High/Dark Elves, are Bretonnia and Wood Elves really worth it? Even though I adore the Wood Elves.

GW has said that no current army will "go the way of squats" so i doubt it, i dont know how this fits in with your warhammer "dream" either.

Hawkwood
03-02-2013, 07:37
GW has said that no current army will "go the way of squats" so i doubt it, i dont know how this fits in with your warhammer "dream" either.
Was not the way of the Squats completely annihilation of the race? That does not ensure that they wont be removed like kislev or chaos dwarfs, although i would not be so sad if they were merged(wood elves and bretonnians)

TheCount
04-02-2013, 03:28
Was not the way of the Squats completely annihilation of the race? That does not ensure that they wont be removed like kislev or chaos dwarfs, although i would not be so sad if they were merged(wood elves and bretonnians)

You may have a point there actually, tho i cant see them abandoning them tbh either way.

DragonArmy
04-02-2013, 07:22
A device that quickly told me the odds of the different outcome at the end of the turn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rocdocta
04-02-2013, 07:58
a game of tactics for adults and not this randomise everything and call it balanced pile of cr@p. while you are at it, remove the 6th spell from each lore. make terrain mean something and not just a random wound on a 1 for non infantry. magic yippee terrain may be good for the kids but wars show that woods and even low barricades inhibit infantry.

so far all terrain has done in 8th is

1. provide a -1 or 2 vs shooting
2. provide a prettier alternative to a blank board
3. provide some mindless "o you take a couple of hits...wooah..." moments.
4. killed 1 or 2 cav.

i would like the game last for 8 turns to allow manuever and not crash the 2 big blocks into each other fest.

i would love fear and terror to really mean something. I dream of a world where 5 empire men arent stubborn with LD9 or 10 from general and reroll from bsb after being mashed by a bloodthirster. they should run. get rid of steadfast and make people think again.

Ah flanking cav. how i miss the cut and thrust required to make this work and the payoff when it did.

while this dumbed down edition is simple casual fun, i dream of a tournament skill worthy 9th edition.

UglyNakedGuy
05-02-2013, 04:38
I would want 1 final edition of the rules and every army getting a book to go with those rules. They can come out with new models with rules once a year to keep sales going and they can create new armies that fit the existing rules. No more dropping armies like they do now with each new edition- Dogs of War, Chaos Dwarfs, all of the Storm of Chaos armies. Seriously, Gotrek and Felix aren't playable anymore but they still sell novels with them.
Monopoly has had one set of rules since 1934

IcedCrow
05-02-2013, 13:24
Monopoly's sales do not make or break the company that publishes it.

DeathGlam
05-02-2013, 14:09
More options for themed HE armies, i would love to not have to take any of the 3 core units.

Oh and Dogs of War getting a new army book.

Rogue
05-02-2013, 14:32
I would want 1 final edition of the rules

Well that wish will happen one day, I can promise you that. Everything else however,......