PDA

View Full Version : So...Chaos Dwarfs

Glenn87
27-01-2013, 19:00
Right, so after being OUT of fantasy for a while, I've been thinking to take it back up.
I'm considering selling my Dark Elf army to make funds for a CD army.
But some questions came to my mind.

* Is a CD army any good?
* Are they allowed on most tourneys?
* What would a good list include? (I'm thinking 2000 or 2500 points)?

thx!!

MLP
27-01-2013, 20:04
Just a quick response as I'm only fleeting. Check out www.chaos-dwarfs.com they will have many answers for these questions. There should be a link in my sig

Glenn87
27-01-2013, 20:06
ow great, I'll check it out, thx!!!

any further imput is also welcome :D

MLP
27-01-2013, 20:10
Answers in short:

Yes. Very.
Mostly and more accepted every year.
Tough Blocks of warriors, awesome war machines, one of the best monstrous creatures available.

Kalandros
27-01-2013, 20:10
They are incredibly potent - their own Lore is abusive, the Chalice item is broken, their war machines have some heavy potential but they remain few in numbers though quite hard to kill and the K'Daii destroyer is.. too cheap at 325 pts.. :D

Glenn87
27-01-2013, 20:48
hmmm, I was thinkering about a list, and came up with this (2K):

350 Sorcerer Prophet: lvl 4 (death), Talisman of Preservation, Enchanted Shield

155 Daemonsmith: lvl 2 (Fire), Dispel Scroll
160 Castellan: BSB, Talisman of (5+ ward save)

392 30 Infernal Guard: FC
542 30 Infernal Guard: Fireglaves, FC

205 Hellcannon
195 Dreadquake Mortar
+-----

But I don't have the Chalice, nor the Destroyer in there. Should I include them?

Xerkics
28-01-2013, 00:56
They are incredibly potent - their own Lore is abusive, the Chalice item is broken, their war machines have some heavy potential but they remain few in numbers though quite hard to kill and the K'Daii destroyer is.. too cheap at 325 pts.. :D
325 sounds extremely expensive. What exactly does it do?

Da Crusha
28-01-2013, 02:04
besides the Destroyer most things in the list are too expensive leading to very small armies.

@glen: definitely add the destroyer he is one of the best monsters in the game.

Lord Inquisitor
28-01-2013, 02:46
325 sounds extremely expensive. What exactly does it do?

Go toe to toe with a 650 point Greater Daemon ;)

Kalandros
28-01-2013, 07:26
Go toe to toe with a 650 point Greater Daemon ;)

And unless its the GUO with Balesword, the Destroyer should come out victorious~

4+ ward save, 2++ vs fire, has up to 9 S7 Flaming Attacks (weak vs 2+ ward save items though), M9, and if you attack him with non-magical attacks, you have to reroll to wound~
And other things.

Da Crusha
28-01-2013, 11:39
I wouldn't say he should come out o ntop but he will put up a pretty good fight.

corps
28-01-2013, 14:23
they have the hability to fight anything i think

thrawn
28-01-2013, 14:33
i got almost 4000 points of CD (maxing out characters).

all new FW models too, army is sweet.

so i'm finding it easy to win with them . . . they are a hard list. mind you coming from WE (which i still did very well with) almost anything would be easier to win with!

i don't use the k'daii destroyer, just the k'daii fireborn, and only 1 magma cannon, still win most games.

they are a really cool army, hard as nails and easy to master. you can check out my blog (which i haven't updated in months, probably should do that!)

Lord Inquisitor
28-01-2013, 14:45
From what I can tell, Chaos Dwarfs aren't rocking the tournament world, at least not yet. I think the issue is that they're quite a rock-paper-scissors army and will crush some armies (e.g. Ogres!) without breaking a sweat, but others (e.g. Empire, Dwarfs) can win the artillery duel. While they're a strong army, I think this issue of running into a bad matchup is preventing them from doing that well.

Overall their internal balance is horrible so some units are rubbish and others are the best in the game. They have some really strong elements. The Sorcerer-Lords are a bargain with a free engineer built in packing a really strong Lore (easily the strongest of the Army Book Lores). Magma cannons are horrific and can total infantry and monstrous infantry alike. Hobgoblin Khans on wolves are like sabretusks except they've better Ld and don't cause panic and you can take as many as you like. Bull centaurs are solid. And the K'daai...

On the other hand, their core is quite expensive and generally play a secondary part in the game behind the star players like K'daai and magma cannons. They don't have cannons or flying troops and they have a lot of trouble dealing with enemy cannons which will take out their monsters/artillery quickly. If you can deal with the K'daai, not get blocked on the Khans and not get obliterated by artillery ... there's not much substance to the army after that.

Montegue
30-01-2013, 16:28
How are ogres not winning the artillery duel? Two Ironblasters should take care of most of the stuff they can field, and sabertusks can handle the rest. Counterbattery fire takes care of a lot of the punch from the CD army. They are, however, still pretty amazing.

corps
31-01-2013, 13:01
i like the new sculpt i never been a fan of big hat any way and the slavec ogre has a face that express well his lost of liberty.

Glenn87
31-01-2013, 16:46
yeah...still considering the evil dwarfs...just need to get the $$$ for my DE's fist...