PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heart by anthony reynolds

FlashGordon
29-01-2013, 18:48
So Marduk is back! Woho! Too bad that it is in eformat. ;) Anyway anybody read it yet? Some juicy details about our favourite Dark Apostle? :D

shadowhawk2008
29-01-2013, 18:58
So Marduk is back! Woho! Too bad that it is in eformat. ;) Anyway anybody read it yet? Some juicy details about our favourite Dark Apostle? :D

eBook only till mid-April I believe. IIRC, that's the Amazon release date for Mark of Calth hardback.

Anyways, got it the other day and will be reading it soon as I'm done with Frank Herbert's Dune. I've wanted Anthony Reynolds back on HH for a long time now, and this should be really good. Hoping to learn more about the characters Anthony introduced in Scions of the Storm for the Tales of Heresy anthology.

DarkChaplain
30-01-2013, 07:13
Amazon (de) has scheduled the paperback(?) release of Mark of Calth for mid-August, though that is not the regular mass market paperback we've had all those years before Angel Exterminatus came around, but a bigger format, bigger even than the Space Marine Battles novels, more akin to the Hardback dimensions, or those of the Time of Legends omnibuses.

I only just started reading Dark Heart, but it kinda surprised me so far - not in a bad way. I have not yet read the Word Bearers novels, but that should not matter according to Anthony. Either way, let me finish the story - Kor Phaeron has entered the stage.

Nineswords
30-01-2013, 10:29
Yeah it was a pretty good tale, I liked the attention to detail and seamlessly integrating it to a certain combat mission in Know No Fear.

FlashGordon
30-01-2013, 16:39
Yeah it was a pretty good tale, I liked the attention to detail and seamlessly integrating it to a certain combat mission in Know No Fear.

Sounds great. I am all ears for spoilers. :D

shadowhawk2008
30-01-2013, 17:24
I loved it. It is one of the best HH short stories yet, no less for the fact how Anthony has almost seamlessly integrated his Word Bearers 40k work with this one. Kor Phaeron, Guilliman, Marduk, Burias, and Sorot Tchure all make a comeback, and a special... guest. This can be considered to be very much a Marduk origin story. Also, this ties into Aurelian, in terms of the novella's opening two chapters, and Lorgar's opinions on daemonic possession.

Sqallum
31-01-2013, 16:43
Spoilers please? I'm guessing Marduk kills Sorot Tchure after Tchure gets his face sliced off by Thiel? Could be wrong, but it seems in character :)

shadowhawk2008
31-01-2013, 17:13
Actually... (big plot spoilers)

Marduk is in the brig for having murdered his mentor and commander while the Word Bearers are doing a space station by space station purge. At this point, he is little more than a novitiate in the Primordial Truth, with dreams of grandeur so to speak. Kor Phaeron wants to know how he killed his mentor, Bel Ashared, a staunch legion loyalist and a confidant of the Dark Cardinal himself. Most of the page-count is taken up with that. The "final third" is the Kor Phaeron vs Guilliman fight and Marduk being "exonerated". The special guest is the daemon Drak'shal, who turns out to be Marduk's secret daemonic patron. There are mentions of the legion civil war following Argel Tal/Lorgar's revelations within the eye from The First Heretic/Aurelian. Also some information on Kor Phaeron both pre and post legion arrival on Colchis.

Sqallum
31-01-2013, 19:33
Thanks for the spoilers Shadowhawk.

boogle
31-01-2013, 20:27
I'll wait for the Mark of Calth anthology to come out

Scribe of Khorne
31-01-2013, 20:39
Nice nice.

Do they handwavium the fact Kor Phaeron beat up on Guilliman in any way to make it more acceptable to folks that a marine beat up a primarch?

shadowhawk2008
01-02-2013, 01:56
Nice nice.

Do they handwavium the fact Kor Phaeron beat up on Guilliman in any way to make it more acceptable to folks that a marine beat up a primarch?

It's not the focus of that part of the story, even though it's the main event. Anthony deals with the symbolism of it, of what it means/could mean if Kor Phaeron succeeds. To paraphrase what Kor Phaeron tells Marduk before the big moment:

In ancient times, if you wanted the favour of the gods to cure your sick kid, you sacrificed an animal. Blood sacrifice is there in most cultures. What would it mean to sacrifice the blood of a Space Marine? Or even a Primarch? The blood of an entire world?

m1acca1551
01-02-2013, 02:43
I'm really liking the portrayal of the WB in HH, before the HH series i always disliked them for some odd reason, but they are swiftly becoming one of my favourite traitor legions after the NL of course :P