PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay?

nedsta
30-01-2013, 16:02
Hi all. I'm thinking of painting a Chimera to stick on Ebay just to test the waters, but I'm wondering what sort of price you'd be prepared to pay for one? This is a recent tank that I finished just as an example but I've got various new techniques to improve my painting.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t113/nedaroony/2013-01-23042551.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t113/nedaroony/2013-01-23042757.jpg

BTJ
30-01-2013, 19:46
Half what it'd cost to buy new. That's the best base line I can think of. Maybe less depending on the paint job, but not more unless you're a GD level painter and you busted your ass on the paint job

loveless
30-01-2013, 20:03
80-85% of the cost of a new one. The paint job is good and table ready and looks fine. Issue comes in at new kits being stupidly priced, so you have to think of the standard internet discount (15-25%) and add on a bit for the paint work.

nedsta
30-01-2013, 20:04
Fair do's, based on my pics above would you hypothetically pay for one painted in a similar fashion bearing in mind I am no GD painter

nedius
30-01-2013, 20:07
problem you'd have is by painting it you are imidiately limiting yourself to those who dont mind a repaint, or those for whom your paint scheme matches their army.

nedsta
30-01-2013, 20:07
80-85% of the cost of a new one. The paint job is good and table ready and looks fine. Issue comes in at new kits being stupidly priced, so you have to think of the standard internet discount (15-25%) and add on a bit for the paint work.

So in your opinion would I be off my rocker to suggest the region of around 30ish or is it too high.

nedsta
30-01-2013, 20:11
problem you'd have is by painting it you are imidiately limiting yourself to those who dont mind a repaint, or those for whom your paint scheme matches their army.

So maybe a paint job similar in colour to the 'Eavy metal scheme might be in order perhaps. Bearing in mind I am not trying to start up a commission site or anything like it, just seeing if it would be worth trying to make a few quid on a cheap (for GW anyway) tank that a few people might need

ColShaw
30-01-2013, 20:15
It's not a very good way to make money, unless you're:

1) VERY fast at painting;

2) VERY skilled.

I'm afraid I'm one of those guys who isn't interested in buying already-painted models, because I want the accomplishment of doing my own paintwork, and the chances of finding something that's a match for my army are low. I think that's a pretty common mindset, so ye be warned.

nedsta
30-01-2013, 20:22
Yeah I wouldn't even dream of trying to use it to make a living off.

I just picked up a chimera today to try some new painting techniques on and as I'm building a tank regiment with no troops, just for display as I don't game, it would just be taking up space so wondered if I'd make my money back on fleabay for the cost of the tank itself (plus hopefully a few extra pounds to go towards my next russ).

nedius
30-01-2013, 20:57
painting is a really under-priced skill. I have a friend who paints at Golden Demon Finalist level, and even at minimum wage, that level of skill would put the cost per miniature at over 100. Most miniatures close to that quality won't go for half that...

nedsta
30-01-2013, 21:04
And that is why I wouldn't even consider trying to make a career out of something like that (plus the fact I'm no GD painter probably helps too), I'm just curious as to whether I'd make the base cost of a chimera back at least or if I'd have to settle for a loss, as if I could make a profit after Ebay fees, postage etc, then maybe I could just throw one tank a month on Ebay, 1 just to practise my painting abilities and 2 to make each bit of profit go towards another tank.

It certainly isn't something I'd do to make money to live on, just something to keep me entertained while I build up my tank company.

The Decayed
30-01-2013, 21:31
Sounds weird, building and painting a complete tank, then to sell it, in order to be able to buy the tank you want for a tank company you're apparently building?

How is that anything but needless time-killing? Why not immediately build the tank for the company, those should be far more enjoyable to make and paint, as they won't be generic ones, but ones you're actually building a story around in your head while building/painting them. (at least that was what's been going on in my head, while I was building my 10 Leman Russes)

I'm also of the mindset of not buying a single pre-painted model anywhere though.
I'm a firm believer that my own army must have been completely built and painted by no-one else than myself.
I don't ever wanna risk getting a compliment on something looking cool, only to have to say it wasn't my own work.
I wouldn't even pay for a model that was far better painted then I would ever be able to achieve myself.
I just couldn't feel any connection to it. I couln't proudly display it somewhere in a cabinet, or take it along to a game.

Anyway, if you want to paint 20 tanks in order to end up with a company of 10 tanks, without expecting any kind of profit from the "lost" 10 other then the joy of painting them, I guess no one would stop you.

nedsta
30-01-2013, 22:04
Time is something I do have a lot of as I'm retired, the main reason was just to test out and refine on some new painting and weathering techniques, and hopefully make the base cost of the tank back, rather than try these things out on expensive FW kits.
Plus as I wouldn't be using the chimeras and maybe someone out there could and would use them, everyone wins.

stroller
30-01-2013, 22:32
I buy more regularly on ebay than I perhaps should. I'll pay a shade over 50% list. If it's a really good paintjob that fits in with what I have, maybe 55%, including postage. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's *MY* answer. Other answers may vary.

nedsta
30-01-2013, 22:42
No that's fine pal I've got no problem if I did make a loss on it. It's only a practise tank after all. It's only if I made a profit (no matter how small) that I'd consider doing another one and so on.

Herzlos
31-01-2013, 08:05
You might actually fare better at some of the shows (like Warfare in Reading?), where I've seen plenty of well painted tanks and figures with asking prices above RRP. If there's a bring & buy you could put it in for RRP + 25% and reduce it later if it doesn't sell.

There's a guy in my gaming club does similar, in that he's mostly a painter and when he's done he sells the unit for his next project + a small project. But I think he does mostly historicals where there's more set paint schemes (there's really only one way to paint Romans to sell).

I think there's a fair market for pre-painted or custom painted armies, as there are plenty of people who have the money but not the time. They just might not dwell on forums like this.

nedsta
31-01-2013, 08:21
Yeah I've seen some historical stuff go for silly money even on ebay.

xxRavenxx
31-01-2013, 09:18
I think if you did a tank of that quality in a standard scheme, youd make profit. You want it in cadian or steel legion colours, i think, because thats ninety percent of guard, and consider putting it on buy it now only for a little over rrp.

Good paintjobs normally sell fine. Yours is above an average standard. Most ebay models are below.

The average painted model I ebay normally nets me 10 over the rrp. Not good profit for time, but profit none the less.

nedsta
31-01-2013, 15:24
Thanks Raven.

Well I started texturing the tank body last night and I think it will most likely get a Cadian scheme as it might sell better than a Tallarn one, well anyway thanks all for the replies and I'll post the results of the auction once I've finished the tank and put it on Ebay.

Havock
01-02-2013, 01:03
You are probably better off offering conversions like the one you did there (which looks neat!) for a small profit, offering hte paint job for more if people want it.

Thing is people want to have more than one tank, and that means they will either want to paint it themselves for coherncy or take you up for an entire bleeding army.
But I think you can definately find a market for converted vehicles, just don't pin me down on it :p

nedsta
03-02-2013, 16:54
Cheers havock. I had thought about doing something like that previously but to break even for the cost of parts I'd have to be charging around the 65+ mark which I think no-one would pay money for.

jack da greenskin
03-02-2013, 19:12
The only way you'll make back more than the base cost of the chimera is if someone in australia or canada starts bidding, and likes the paint scheme.

Otherwise, 20-30% discount is what the tank could be had for, and ebay are taking 15ish% of what you do get anyway... you're expecting to get about 65% of the base cost. Making money is hard on that is hard.

Spider-pope
03-02-2013, 20:38
What i'd suggest doing is rather than buying a new tank to paint and stick on Ebay, you instead grab a few of the godawfully painted ones that go for a few quid, strip them and repaint them. You're much more likely to make a bit of a profit and the initial investment in each tank would be much smaller.

deathspank
06-02-2013, 07:53
Best way to do this is to paint to order and get a supplier who will give you a discount on the base model, plenty of people paint commissions and make some spare change doing it, its a much more profitable way to do this than taking a punt on a painted tank on ebay. Also if you havent already its worth investing in an airbrush to speed things up.

Havock
06-02-2013, 21:12
The only way you'll make back more than the base cost of the chimera is if someone in australia or canada starts bidding, and likes the paint scheme.

Otherwise, 20-30% discount is what the tank could be had for, and ebay are taking 15ish% of what you do get anyway... you're expecting to get about 65% of the base cost. Making money is hard on that is hard.

And basically this; the only way to earn anything with it is on commision. And that is not a sure-fire source of income either.

nedsta
06-02-2013, 22:19
Cheers for the replies guys.

As it was just a tank to practise certain things on I'm only really hoping to make at least the base cost, anything else is a bonus really, so maybe start bidding at say the 25 mark, if someone likes it and bids then it's good news if not well it was good to practise my things on.

Sykorax
12-02-2013, 04:28
I've been slowly selling painted stuff off as well over the last 6 years. Usually it ends up to buying supercheap on bartertown or kijiji for ~50% off, paint, play for awhile then sell for ~ 90% retail so it's essentially a little profit but get to try out and play with new armies once or twice a year for a small gain. It's getting A LOT harder lately though due to GW prices skyrocketing so even clearance prices are like quite high now so trying to resell for more is difficult.

One of my more recent endeavors was a 2500 pt nid army I bought in 2 big lots on bartertown for ~$300 +$120 carry case and sold for just under $900. Some paint pics here March 11 Assimilation Successful post http://thehammerandbrush.blogspot.ca/#!/2012/03/assimilation-successful.html

Don't have many pics of my older armies but I have the HQ models (Sept 3 HQ Showcase post ) http://thehammerandbrush.blogspot.ca/#!/2012/09/hq-showcase.html (http://thehammerandbrush.blogspot.ca/#!/2012/09/hq-showcase.html) if you want to compare the standard. Each of those armies (8 in total) were sold for about 90% of retail at that paint standard. The painting companies on ebay for whole armies are extremely overpriced for just slightly higher than TT standard and dont sell that often so don't use those as a comparison. You see those postings around for quite awhle.

Otherwise I find individual hero or character level models sell the best. I picked these up for $20 each and got $170 for them but at the same time they're nice limited edition metal models. http://thehammerandbrush.blogspot.ca/#!/2012/10/chaos-heroes-ltd-edition.html Oct 4 Ltd Edition Chaos Heroes post

Few things that might help during the buy-paint-sell process:
-Individual vehicles or units will have a very hard time selling since the scheme MUST meet the scheme of the buyer otherwise it won't sell even if the paint is good.
-Whole armies sell for the CHEAPEST as those sellers want to mass clear everything in one go and saves on shipping to several places. You'll find the best deals here to pickup items to paint
-Using the above, you can essentially buy a big lot, keep what you want and end up selling what u dont need so your net gain is just the models you keep. Doing this can build you a free army over time :)
-People look at centerpieces and HQ the most and therefore want to pickup key peices w commissioned jobs the most compared to a basic fodder unit. If you don't want to do mass army paintjobs go for HQ and big monsters
-Paintjobs similar to studio colors sell the best. People copy studio colors more than making their own more often than not so these will have a bigger market
-Metal models sell well and more than finecast so if an army deal comes with these it's a nice pickup. Doubly so due to you being able to buy clearance armies with crap paint and able to strip them no problem!
-Even ebay doesnt always provide the best deals (~70-80% off). Trying local kijiji/craigs list and bartertown is the best and you get some huge savings there as you can get ~50-60% off there.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

EDIT: Linking doesnt seem to be working w the blog popup. Added titles

nedsta
13-02-2013, 12:01
Fantastic post, some great stuff to keep in mind. Cheers mate.

Earl_UK
14-02-2013, 14:05
IMO the best thing to do is List it, with lots of good photos, set your start price and let it run (10 days), you can never predict what will happen.