PDA

View Full Version : any fluff instances of marines using chimera, valkyrie, sentinel, etc?

OgreBattle
31-01-2013, 05:19
Just wondering if it's ever occured in any books. I know about multilaser marines, but not "and then 12 marines came out of a chimera".

The valkyrie seems like it'd be perfect for marines, being big and thickly armored and fast and inserting space marines straight into danger. Hugely unfair rules wise, but fluff wise it's kind of strange that weedy IG vets get a better ride than space marines (ok you have the stormbird too, I'm just saying)

Hell's Angel
31-01-2013, 05:26
Did you just pan right over a Landraider in that statement?

Kakapo42
31-01-2013, 05:29
The valkyrie seems like it'd be perfect for marines, being big and thickly armored and fast and inserting space marines straight into danger. Hugely unfair rules wise, but fluff wise it's kind of strange that weedy IG vets get a better ride than space marines (ok you have the stormbird too, I'm just saying)

It's not quite as strange as you think. Remeber that while those weedy IG get Valkyries and Vendettas, in the background most Space Marines have access instead to the mighty Thunderhawk, which is vastly more powerful than either the Valkyrie/Vendetta or the Storm Raven.

I do not know of any official background that has Space Marines using Chimeras though, but I do believe they used to use Sentinels at one point in the distant past. I may be entirely wrong though.

m1acca1551
31-01-2013, 06:33
I really doubt that they would, the vehicles that they have access to are far more potent and will carry the kit that the SM will require for battle.

That's not to say that they wouldn't use them to deceive an opponent, but they wouldn't walk into the motor pool and go "mmm do i take the land raider to day or the chimera?, oi Severus can you get the keys so i can move the rhino to get the chimera out"

ftayl5
31-01-2013, 08:26
I think some chapters might and others would never even consider the idea.
I reckon they would only use IG transports if they had none of their own left.

Also consider that 1 marine weighs a lot. A valkyrie can only carry 10, relatively lightly armoured humans. I don't know, but based on that it's safe to say more than 2 marines would be pushing it. They'd also have to placed very carefully around the hull so not as to unbalance the craft and make it near impossible to fly.

BooTMGSG
31-01-2013, 09:44
I would have to say not enough head room
or horse power (marines are hefty)

madd0ct0r
01-02-2013, 08:25
or space for the pilot to actually fit into the chair.

Magister
01-02-2013, 13:48
One of the space wolf books (has dark angels in too) mentions Ragnar and co. nicking a chimera. Not sure that's quite what you were after though.

baphomael
01-02-2013, 16:04
In 3rd ed space wolves had access to leman russ exterminators. Only the exterminator variant. Something to do with honouring the memory of their primarch.

Menthak
01-02-2013, 17:14
I don't think there are as such, but tbh there is no reason you can't fit 12 Marine in a Chimera (Grey knights w/ Inquisitorial chimera) If you did want it to happen, they would probably just modify the chimera to accommodate marines.

Leftenant Gashrog
01-02-2013, 17:47
I reckon they would only use IG transports if they had none of their own left.

Its worth noting that the Codex Astartes calls for the 1st Company's transport pool to include Land Raiders to transport the companies Terminators, yet even the uber-l33t Ultramarines don't really have enough to do it - they would need 17 Land Raiders to transport the entire company yet only have 7 in the companies transport pool with a further 12 being assigned to the armoury (current codex copy-pasted the armoury vehicle numbers from the 3rd edition but didn't bother listing transport pools) - the latter being in the armoury because they are needed across the chapter for other duties. Chimeras are a dime a dozen and can carry a Terminator combat squad.

NemoSD
01-02-2013, 17:56
The Game Space Marine has the marine step into a Valk, and he pretty much takes up the entire cabin, but I thought that was just lazy modeling as he is bigger then the guardsmen around, but that Valk felt two small to start with.

squilverine
03-02-2013, 13:32
The only obvious occurence I can think of is Iron Warriors making use of Basilisks.

I would imagine in most cases it is a matter of practicality. The vehicles associated with the Space Marines are designed with them in mind, not so much the transport areas but the crew compartments would have to be significantly larger to accomodate a power armoured pilot/driver.

It is entirely possible that marines would commandeer IG vehicles should there be none of their own available and the need of their mission require it.

Without serious modifications I doubt it would be possible for a power armoured marine to opperate a Sentinel, Chimera etc. and given that modifying or 'tinkering' with machinery of any sort in any way is considered blasphemous by the Mechanicum I think it doubtful.

madd0ct0r
03-02-2013, 14:50
you could probably assume a space amrine is the same size as an ogryn (although much heavier) - suggesting you can fit 6 of them in a chimera

Leftenant Gashrog
03-02-2013, 18:28
Admittedly rules not fluff, but I know of no fluff to contradict it:
Grey Knights FAQ
Q: Can models in Terminator armour embark onto an Inquisitorial Chimera? (p51)
A: Yes.

baphomael
04-02-2013, 11:32
Also, I forgot, but heresy era Legiones Astartes, according to Betrayel, had access to things like basilisks and malcador heavy tanks as well, but the malcador got mothballed when the means of maintaining its advanced engines were lost, becoming a reserve guard unit. Presumambly somewhere inthe codex reforms the use of guard style artillery tanks fell out of favour or perhaps even prohibited.

Kiro
04-02-2013, 13:34
Also consider that 1 marine weighs a lot. A valkyrie can only carry 10, relatively lightly armoured humans. I don't know, but based on that it's safe to say more than 2 marines would be pushing it. They'd also have to placed very carefully around the hull so not as to unbalance the craft and make it near impossible to fly.

In Space Marine 3 Ultramarines ride quite comfortably in a Valkyrie. Make of that what you will.