PDA

View Full Version : Need some help please

little-kharn
31-01-2013, 16:51
I've not played in ages but I was contemplating getting back into Warhammer and I have a few armies lying around but I don't know anything about the new edition or if any of their codex changed so I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on what army would be best to get back into it with Eood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Dwarves or Bretonia? And in general any changes to Warhammer :)

Oogie boogie boss
31-01-2013, 17:05
I'd say go with the army which you most like the models for/most like the playstyle. Both Wood Elves and Brets are long overdue a new book, and don't look likely to get one any time soon. That being said, they can both still be competitive, particularly Brets. Dwarves are also owed an update, but on the whole are more in-keeping with the 8th ed dynamic and thus function a little better.
The new Warriors of Chaos book is about to be released, along with a load of new (and in my opinion, generally not great) models, so it remains to be seen what changes will be made and how the army as a whole will function. It will mean that of those four choices, they will be the most competitive.
My advice would be go with your gut. There's no point spending money on an army if you don't like the money or don't enjoy playing with them.

little-kharn
31-01-2013, 17:34
Thanks for the reply and I see what you mean, I've already got 2000-3000 point armies for each last time I checked. I enjoyed using them all wood elves were nice and different same with Bretonia but they were sometimes a pain at my old GW the tables were fairly small so deploying Bretonians in lance formation and not being in close combat my turn two with wood elves was hard. Chaos were nice loved the knights and dwarves were great but really common. Might try my Wood Elves and WoC since they're really different. Has 8th edition brought in much change?

Oogie boogie boss
31-01-2013, 18:52
Yeah, it really has! Random charge ranges, you can measure everything, big emphasis on horde infantry and uber-spells, reduction in the effect of skirmishers and cavalry. All in all I think it's the best edition yet, and all of the new books thus far have great synergy.

little-kharn
31-01-2013, 19:01
Might have to go back to the academies to refresh my rusty memory then!