PDA

View Full Version : How many Custodes survived the Heresy?

La'mour Le Breton
01-02-2013, 07:42
I keep wondering how many of the Adeptus Custodes will survive the Heresy to protect the Emperor's immobile form in the years (and years) and years (and years) and years to come.

I know that custodes are different than space marines, but how much different? space marines live for 1000 years at the most, besides a few exceptions.
Is their any stats about how long the custodes live?
I remember there being something in one of the HH novels, First Heretic? anyways, there was something about how each of the Custodes was a work of art, made with care and attention over a longer period of time. Are we to assume that unless they were to die in battle, the Custodes would live forever?
Is their any fluff about making new Custodes? Are they all vat grown clones of the emperor? Bastard children harvested from the bellies of the Emprah's many sexual conquests? (when the emperor lays the pipe, He lays the pipe!)

How many are left to guard the Emperor in the 41st millennium? A legion? A chapter? A company? One single squad?
Have they lost the ability to maintain their weapons and armour over the years?
Are they still the golden shining warriors of legend? or a dark desiccated shell of what they once were, much like the man they live to protect.
or did they all kill themselves on the spot when they learned of their failure?

baphomael
01-02-2013, 09:27
On numbers, at least, I believe there are still 300 custodes, known as the Companions, who remain constantly within the Emperor's presence. Presumably there are other custodes elsewhere but 300 remain directly by his side at all times.

As for how many other custodes there are its hard to say. Presumably a fair few, given 300 are given over to Personal Protection.

The others presumably conduct other duties around the palace.... and the palace is a big place. Like continent big.

TheDungen
01-02-2013, 09:41
they survived since they're the ones that admitted the leader of the brides of the emperor to the throne room during the age of apostasy thus turning them against whatever his name was the grand leader of the elechiarchy who had claimed to be the emperor reborn.

Turion Rilyaloce
01-02-2013, 17:06
His name was Vandire, and the custodes are supposedly now unarmoured and wearing black robes instead of the red of the great crusade, as a symbol of their mourning. I'm guessing the companions would still be armoured though, as they would be less effective as personal bodyguards otherwise. Just incase someone snuck in the window...

La'mour Le Breton
01-02-2013, 18:43
I wonder how long their names are now, lol well considering they haven't left the palace since the HH ended, I guess they wouldn't have earned any new ones in the past 10000 years

viv714r
01-02-2013, 21:44
Well a Custode is to a Space Marine as a Space Marine is to a Guardsman. Also I think I read somewhere that while Space Marines appear to age, they don't die of old age. That said, the Custodes are probably exteremly long lived.

TheDungen
02-02-2013, 12:10
and primarches are to custodes what custodes are to space marines?

baphomael
02-02-2013, 12:39
Well a Custode is to a Space Marine as a Space Marine is to a Guardsman. Also I think I read somewhere that while Space Marines appear to age, they don't die of old age. That said, the Custodes are probably exteremly long lived.

Not strictly true. They are fairly comperable, but their different roles mean custodes are better suited to their role. One on one a custode may have the edge in a duel, but custodes are too individualistic and less tectically flexible as astartes. Its closer cut than the difference between a marine and a guardsman.

Muad'Dib
02-02-2013, 13:44
Not strictly true. They are fairly comperable, but their different roles mean custodes are better suited to their role. One on one a custode may have the edge in a duel, but custodes are too individualistic and less tectically flexible as astartes. Its closer cut than the difference between a marine and a guardsman.
Custodes deficiency in larger combats is shown quite handily in The First Heretic, when
three Custodes can match ~10-15 Possessed Marines in combat until one of them exposes himself slightly to score a killing blow - at which point other Marines tear into him.

viv714r
02-02-2013, 14:12
That is true, yes. I should stop listening to my brain when it says it remembers something.

Hengist
02-02-2013, 23:06
We don't know. The sum total of information provided on the Adeptus Custodes in the 41st millennium comprises a paragraph in Rogue Trader, a shorter paragraph in 2nd edition's Codex Imperialis, and one-sentence in the following editions (including a picture in the 4th edition rulebook which, incidentally would appear to retcon the old 'bare cheats and leather pants' uniform, since the Custodes in question is obviously wearing power armour).

We might see rules and models from Forge World before their Heresy series finishes, but I'd be very surprised indeed if mainstream GW ever revisits the Custodes in the setting's 'present day'.

sweave
03-02-2013, 04:13
they have little to no reason to do so. unless they start making models to buy for the 30k setting only.
in the 40k setting they are bound to the palace

Ricky
03-02-2013, 13:43
they have little to no reason to do so. unless they start making models to buy for the 30k setting only.

They made a Pre- Daemon Prince Angron and there's gonna be more Primarch models. Also Marine jetbike squadrons.