PDA

View Full Version : Terrenord on Youtube

Terrenord
01-02-2013, 20:09
Just looking for some feedback about my battle reports. What should I do to make them better?

Here's a link to one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caSadMYycr8 Part 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHQMGk5xPhY Part 2/2

I was thinking of posting the strategy and setup phase in one video, ask for comments about how you would play this battle, then post a second video with the remaining phases. I'd appreciate you guys taking a look at the videos, and telling me what direction you'd like them to go in.

Best,
Jon

MR. GRUMPY
02-02-2013, 16:36
I say keep it simple. Start off in deployment and explain your thinking as the game go by. :) To long videos make me loose focus but I cant speak for everyone else of course.

Lordcypress
02-02-2013, 17:12
Don't split your videos up. Try to condense them to one video. I'm no expert here. I just posted up my 3rd youtube battle report on Warseer last night. Just from what I've learned so far:

1. Quickly talk your way through the charging and movement phase. People don't need to know exactly how many inches units moved up. If you don't have any charges and everything just marched up just say "Ok in the movement phase the whole battleline marched up" for example. Thats the beauty of pictures you don't have to describe everything.

2. Don't dwell to long in the magic phase. Only talk about the events that make a difference or something cool that happened.

3. Shooting just describe where the shots went and how many wounds there was.

4. Close combat, gain no need to get into long drawn out details of each dice roll in each combat. Simply tell us whos fighting and which side won. Example: "On to the combat between the Spearmen and Skinks the Spearmen won combat by 2 but the Skinks hold". Simple stuff like that saves a ton of time.

5. Provide lots of pictures to what it is your talking about. I've started taking single shots of each combat. I go from left to right across the battlefield every turn so I don't forget any. I know it sucks watching a battle report and a player is describing a combat between two units yet their is no pics.

6. Like I said before try to talk fast and precise. This is an area that I really have to work at too. My last video was 28 minutes long. By talking a little quicker I'm sure I could have gotten it down to 22-23 minutes. Also add in the odd humor, frustration etc.. in your report. I've watched a few reports on Youtube and the narrator just has this boring voice that never changes at all. Very monotone voice that eventually puts you to sleep and you lose interest fast.

papabearshane
05-02-2013, 06:04
The New rule book Hand of Gork cant be used to charge a unit.

Terrenord
05-02-2013, 21:12
The New rule book Hand of Gork cant be used to charge a unit.

Yes, I think we covered that in the Youtube comments. What I'd like to know is do you like the format. What would you do to improve the battle report (other than how the game is played)?

TsukeFox
12-02-2013, 11:52
War machines get deployed all at once sir.

Maybe some skimisher skinks instead of that third saurus block ?
Redirectors help control the movement phase

Terrenord
12-02-2013, 19:29
There was no 3rd Saurus block. War machines were covered in the comments. I'm pretty sure I'll just do whatever I want since people aren't answering the question.

MR. GRUMPY
12-02-2013, 20:22
There was no 3rd Saurus block. War machines were covered in the comments. I'm pretty sure I'll just do whatever I want since people aren't answering the question.

Lordcypress gave you very good advice which you could adress. Checking out other peoples formats help to. I dont think the long kind of report which you posted is very popular overall.

Terrenord
12-02-2013, 20:40
Yah, I'll try to shorten them, and to be clear, I appreciated the feedback that dealt with the question.

BooZeFienD
12-02-2013, 21:51
I agree with lord cypress.

Keep them short and sweet, lots of people I talk to really enjoy the length of shorter videos because it's easier to fit 1-3 in a lunch hour instead of just one long one.

Change the pitch/tone of your voice while your talking, it might feel funny at first but I look at it as doing voice work acting. I have had to redub some of my own videos and trust me some times it takes multiple takes, rewatch your video and if you find yourself wanting to search something up while "listening" to the video it's because it's not attention catching. Watch Malorians or Luke Davis' videos I don't know if they do multiple takes on their BR's but they change the tone of their voice alot and it is alot more engaging you cannot tell if it's fake excitement or real excitement and that's what you want. I found in mine I have had to redo a whole section because I did a face cam take and then I rewatched it and it seemed like someone had a gun to my head, as if I was forced to be doing my hobby...You are selling your voice, you have to make it interesting and not droneish.

I do like the concept of watching the full game take place over a matter of time, but maybe even speed it up during the "stand around" moments, i know it's like 2x,3x speed but for video quality sake I don't think we need to see "thinking" periods of the game. If you have another camera and the extra time, having a second camera recording a "dice box" that you can roll into so that during the game play you can show your audience the dice rolls that you guys are making. I mean if your showing every little push and pull of the movement trays you might as well go all the way and show the dice rolls and just have it in a frame off to the corner. I think alot of statistic nerds would love to see the dice roll :D

Keep it up and remember there is no negative criticism, some people have different tastes and i'm sure if you keep doing your double video 30+ min videos certain people will flock to you, then they will tell other like minded people and it will expand. The internet is a interesting place, and these are just ideas I had, doesn't mean they are right :D

Malorian
12-02-2013, 23:00
People lose interest quickly. Keep things fast, keep things fun.

TsukeFox
13-02-2013, 02:41

Oh my bad- the intro part looked like 3 saurus blocks and temple guard.

Did not lol at the comments as the tapatalk app does not load my YouTube account or If I can do it the button is ******* small.

Anywho drop one of the blocks. You really only need to buff just one block. Saurus are pretty beefy as is-just imagine one with 3 different buffs on it.

Terrenord
13-02-2013, 12:41
Thanks, I'll try to incorporate as much of this as I can :)