PDA

View Full Version : WoC Lord and Heroes thoughts?

Doommasters
03-02-2013, 07:17
I am not going to lie the most fun i seem to have with WoC is building the heroes and lords. So what does everyone think about what is on offer in the new book? What combinations can you see as being fun to play with?

This will be the lord I am going to try out when I get a chance;

Chaos Lord
MoT
GW
Disk
4+ Ward (3+ with MoT)
CoC
Third Eye
Soul Feeder
Flaming Breath

This guy is effectievly a flying swiss army knife, need him to hold up an elite unit non problem they have to roll a 2 to get past his ward. S7 he can take on monsters and kill chariots easily, not many characters that can run toe toe with him either.

All in all I am very happy with the WoC lords section and feel I can play any of the options without wishing I had taken something else.

Gromdal
03-02-2013, 08:08
Much like my own build but i prefer scaly skin over breath. Also you should add dragon helm. Remember a Crown is worn untop a helm by Kings in war

Doommasters
03-02-2013, 08:16
Much like my own build but i prefer scaly skin over breath. Also you should add dragon helm. Remember a Crown is worn untop a helm by Kings in war

Breath Weapon is just so good for a lone character, not only can it cancel regeneration or wipe off a rank of guys it can also be used to fuel Soul Feeder if for some reason you lose a few quick wounds. You can get a 1+ save very easy with chaos armour+ extras so i don't see the need to buy scaly skin and miss out on Flaming breath. You can get Flamming breath, Soul Feeder and Third eye all at 50pts

Leogun_91
03-02-2013, 08:18
I won't field a 3+ wardsave re-rolling ones, it just seems too cheesy for me, but I will play the following lord today to see how it goes.

Chaos Lord
Mark of Tzeentch
Disc of Tzeentch
Third eye of Tzeentch
Soul feeder
Flaming Breath
Talisman of Endurance
Hellfire Sword
Enchanted shield

I'll see how this goes, got a feeling the chaos lord will be more lethal in this edition.

Doommasters
03-02-2013, 08:23
I won't field a 3+ wardsave re-rolling ones, it just seems too cheesy for me, but I will play the following lord today to see how it goes.

Chaos Lord
Mark of Tzeentch
Disc of Tzeentch
Third eye of Tzeentch
Soul feeder
Flaming Breath
Talisman of Endurance
Hellfire Sword
Enchanted shield

I'll see how this goes, got a feeling the chaos lord will be more lethal in this edition.

I like that build for pure damage and a good save, plow him straight into ogres and watch the tears :)

m1acca1551
03-02-2013, 08:44
Well doommasters when you collect woc all you really care about is your lord and his journey... the rest are simply a means to an end!!

Gromdal
03-02-2013, 08:57
Healing against chaff is not an issue with or without breath. Vs alot of char threats 1+ might help alot more. Atleast taKe my advise and add the helm.

ewar
03-02-2013, 10:10
Does make me concerned they didn't learn any lessons from the unkillable dreadlord. 2+ ward with CoC is a fun killer for everyone, especially witht the ability to fly easily. Not good imo.

Von Wibble
03-02-2013, 10:45
I can see the Other Trickster's Shard regularly taken against WoC for sure.

To the OP, remember that you can only reroll a dice once. So if you roll a 1 then reroll and get a 1 again, you can't reroll that and suffer a wound.

The lord provided costs about 400 points. He also unlike the Dreadlord has a clear weakness - Banishment. I don't fancy having my lord hit by 2D6 S7 hits twice in a magic phase, rerolling successful wards. Empire and High Elves can both do that to you.

Sure, he's nasty. But he has the same role as unkillable dreadlord - holding up a unit on his own, since his attacks aren't going to do enough to destroy a horde quickly. Chaos don't really need anyone performing this role and certainly don't need to spend more points to do so. If you are looking for support for units then chaos are spoiled for choice with their core chariots and monsters - all of which are cheaper.

As an opponent of WoC, I can live with facing him.

Maoriboy007
03-02-2013, 10:54
The lord provided costs about 400 points. He also unlike the Dreadlord has a clear weakness - Banishment. I don't fancy having my lord hit by 2D6 S7 hits twice in a magic phase, rerolling successful wards. Empire and High Elves can both do that to you.. Being slightly more vulnerable to a spell your opponant might have and might manage to cast seems more of a situational weakness than a clear one. TBH that kind of spell would hurt most lords and with better toughness and better ward hes probably more likely to shrug it off than most

Sure, he's nasty. But he has the same role as unkillable dreadlord - holding up a unit on his own, since his attacks aren't going to do enough to destroy a horde quickly. .That seems pretty massive to me, and the Chaos Lord is more survivable a beats more face while being as or more unkillable.

As an opponent of WoC, I can live with facing him.until he kills you.... ;)

Yeah its going to be interesting to find out how to deal with one, will he be as much of a game killer as a Pendantlord? remains to be seen.

LordKrell
03-02-2013, 11:55
The current DP in the WoC book makes the one in the daemons book really suck.

The last one costs 300pts (75 points more), has lower WS, S, I, and L. Marks cost 35pts (WTF?), and making him a level 1 sorcerer, 50pts. If you want a level 2 sorcerer, 85 points. Only 75pts for a few daemonic gifts, and no points to buy magic objects and a large etc...

Demons players, expect a big boost on your DP soon...

Texhnolyze
03-02-2013, 12:26

The last one costs 300pts (75 points more), has lower WS, S, I, and L. Marks cost 35pts (WTF?), and making him a level 1 sorcerer, 50pts. If you want a level 2 sorcerer, 85 points. Only 75pts for a few daemonic gifts, and no points to buy magic objects and a large etc...

I think you missed the biggest part....

The DoC Deamon Prince has "demonic instability" while the WoC one is just unbreakable ^^

Doommasters
03-02-2013, 17:00

To the OP, remember that you can only reroll a dice once. So if you roll a 1 then reroll and get a 1 again, you can't reroll that and suffer a wound.

The army book says "The character re-rolls ward save results of 1" I am no rules expert but why can't you re-roll it everytime you get a 1?

Well doommasters when you collect woc all you really care about is your lord and his journey... the rest are simply a means to an end!!

So true

Does make me concerned they didn't learn any lessons from the unkillable dreadlord. 2+ ward with CoC is a fun killer for everyone, especially witht the ability to fly easily. Not good imo.

Everyone complained about chaos lords not being worth it versus lvl4's I guess there answer for close combat characters in allready kill armies is to make them nearly unkillable in normal situations. Persoanlly I never had a problem with the dreadlord.....we will see about the WoC variant.

Biggest thing is that Daemons have not had there book updated either...progress is progress

ewar
03-02-2013, 17:06

The lord provided costs about 400 points. He also unlike the Dreadlord has a clear weakness - Banishment. I don't fancy having my lord hit by 2D6 S7 hits twice in a magic phase, rerolling successful wards. Empire and High Elves can both do that to you.

Sure, he's nasty. But he has the same role as unkillable dreadlord - holding up a unit on his own, since his attacks aren't going to do enough to destroy a horde quickly. Chaos don't really need anyone performing this role and certainly don't need to spend more points to do so. If you are looking for support for units then chaos are spoiled for choice with their core chariots and monsters - all of which are cheaper.

He's no more vulnerable to banishment than any othwr single model, same as the dreadlord I believe.

The main issue is that such models in the game are not fun to play against. I don't want my key units to sit all game facing one model - its too easy and too reliable. I'll reserve final judgement till I've seen the book but it doesn't sound like a good addition to the game. Plus I've already seen this build posted several times, so I get the feeling its going to be popular.

Lance Tankmen
03-02-2013, 17:06
The army book says "The character re-rolls ward save results of 1" I am no rules expert but why can't you re-roll it everytime you get a 1?

because you can't re-roll a re-roll

Leth Shyish'phak
03-02-2013, 17:08
Tzeentch Lords aren't the only ones who can hold up units forever anymore:

Chaos Lord - MoN, Scaled Skin, Soul Feeder, barded daemonic mount, shield, biting blade, glittering scales, dawnstone, crown of command

Can't remember how much he costs, but under 400 I think. Has 7 S5 attacks (5 with AP) and a stomp for offence. For defence, he has a 1+ re-rollable armour save and all close combat attacks are at -2 to hit against his Ws8. And he can regain wounds sometimes. Maybe throw in some poison attacks for fun if you want.

Doommasters
03-02-2013, 19:05
because you can't re-roll a re-roll

According to the WoC army book or 8th rule book? This particular situation has not come up for me very often so keen to clarify it as some of my friends have been saying you follow the WoC book which says 1's get re-rolled no mention of one re-roll.

Thanks

Icarus81
03-02-2013, 19:13
According to the WoC army book or 8th rule book? This particular situation has not come up for me very often so keen to clarify it as some of my friends have been saying you follow the WoC book which says 1's get re-rolled no mention of one re-roll.

Thanks

The WoC book does not nullify the no re-rolling re-rolls rule from the BRB.

kramplarv
03-02-2013, 19:36
today I had two chaos lords. equipped like this;

chaos lord
MoT, Disc, Halberd, Talisman of endurance

chaos lord
MoT, Disc, Halberd, Talisman of preservation

no need for extra stuff. 3++ (4++) and Ws8/s6/A5/I7 is enough since a flying lord only fights those fights he knows he can win.

Nubl0
03-02-2013, 19:37
I too have enjoyed building characters, good to have chaos lords back at the top for combat characters, and the daemon prince is awesome now! Did have an issue as we have started a narrative campaign today. started at low points, around 500 but my exalted hero decided to become a DP after killing a goblin champion of all things haha! Going to have to work out gifts and maybe give people a few extra points against me for now I think.

Doommasters
03-02-2013, 20:00
The WoC book does not nullify the no re-rolling re-rolls rule from the BRB.

Thank you :)

Doommasters
03-02-2013, 20:02
I too have enjoyed building characters, good to have chaos lords back at the top for combat characters, and the daemon prince is awesome now! Did have an issue as we have started a narrative campaign today. started at low points, around 500 but my exalted hero decided to become a DP after killing a goblin champion of all things haha! Going to have to work out gifts and maybe give people a few extra points against me for now I think.

Dream would be to get a DP with the hellfire sword haha

adicto
03-02-2013, 20:44
The best thing is that naked daemon princes are so cheap and still so good, that you can field one of them and an unkillable lvl4 disclord in 2500pts games.

Leogun_91
03-02-2013, 20:52
I like that build for pure damage and a good save, plow him straight into ogres and watch the tears :)Played him today, vs dwarfs, he ate one unit of thunderers, a dragonslayer, a master engineer, a cannon, an organ gun and a boltthrower and had started fighting quarrellers. He ended the game with WS10 and T6 and his soul feeder did nothing as not a single wound was lost.

Doommasters
03-02-2013, 20:54
Played him today, vs dwarfs, he ate one unit of thunderers, a dragonslayer, a master engineer, a cannon, an organ gun and a boltthrower and had started fighting quarrellers. He ended the game with WS10 and T6 and his soul feeder did nothing as not a single wound was lost.

That is amazing haha, overpowered,lucky or opponent was simply not prepaired to deal with him?

Leogun_91
03-02-2013, 21:18
That is amazing haha, overpowered,lucky or opponent was simply not prepaired to deal with him?The thunderers did not cause a single wound in the battle, they did not get to shoot many times but they made the unluckiest shooting and closecombat rolls one can imagine, failing to wound anything with a good 20 rolls (and I mean before saves). The dragonslayer was badly placed allowing me an easy overrun into the thunderers which helped, then once the flying lord had reached his warmachines he couldn't really stop it (as I was lucky enough to be in closecombat every one of his shooting phases, otherwise things could have changed).
This wasn't all great for me though as it allowed his lord to reinforce his ironbreakers against my chaos warriors without character opposition letting him win that crucial battle, the lord did amazingly in his decided role but the army suffered for not having a combat character strengthening their lines (had I skipped my cancelled magic for an exalted that wouldn't have been an issue) against solid dwarf elite, in addition all his shooting units got a chance to do something useful and most succeeded (cannon and thunderers the exception). The game ended a draw with the exact same points lost to each side.