PDA

View Full Version : Chosen

MasterSplinter
03-02-2013, 20:33
Hi there!

Its two days since ive got the new WoC Book at home, and let me say at first, i really like the overall style of the book, and i think everybody involved in its creation deserves a lot of respect especially the artists who did those beautiful and colourful arworks!

The general consens on here seems to comes to the conclusion that the gaming style now leads to more monsters (who would have guessed that, its 8th edition), since marauders got a big points increase, which was well deserved, warriors seem to be the most legitimate core for infantry, since they are pretty good for their price of 14-18 Points?
But now, why would someone choose chosen before them, for one more weapon skill and a random stat increase (where in my test rolls there was often the possibility to get +1 Attack) you pay a third more of the points cost and they are a special slot.
I am pretty sad, becaus just before the relase of the new finecast chosen i did everything i could do to get still metal ones, and somehow i managed to get 25 of them. I never played a game as a chaosplayer since then, but now i got the feeling that my chosen will never see the gaming board as chosen but as warriors instead. Thats pretty sad, because in my mind, chosen should be somekind of special and have more efficiency then normal warriors.

Whats your opinion on that?
What could have GW done rules wise to represent them better on the battlefield?

Maybe they should have been given the option for ensorceled weapons like knights, but then using them as handweapons, with bonuses for shields etc...

snottlebocket
03-02-2013, 20:53
GW let's sales dictate rules. I'm pretty sure the main reason we now have Chimera's with absolutely fantastic rules as special choices is because they have a warehouse full of them after Storm of Magic.

Chosen were great last time around. Which means that this time around they take a back seat to the new models. What's the point in writing good rules for models that people already have?

Urgat
03-02-2013, 20:55
Hi there!

Its two days since ive got the new WoC Book at home, and let me say at first, i really like the overall style of the book, and i think everybody involved in its creation deserves a lot of respect especially the artists who did those beautiful and colourful arworks!

The general consens on here seems to comes to the conclusion that the gaming style now leads to more monsters (who would have guessed that, its 8th edition), since marauders got a big points increase, which was well deserved, warriors seem to be the most legitimate core for infantry, since they are pretty good for their price of 14-18 Points?
But now, why would someone choose chosen before them, for one more weapon skill and a random stat increase (where in my test rolls there was often the possibility to get +1 Attack) you pay a third more of the points cost and they are a special slot.
I am pretty sad, becaus just before the relase of the new finecast chosen i did everything i could do to get still metal ones, and somehow i managed to get 25 of them. I never played a game as a chaosplayer since then, but now i got the feeling that my chosen will never see the gaming board as chosen but as warriors instead. Thats pretty sad, because in my mind, chosen should be somekind of special and have more efficiency then normal warriors.

Whats your opinion on that?

Maybe they should have been given the option for ensorceled weapons like knights, but then using them as handweapons, with bonuses for shields etc...

They could be better, sure, but what's done is done. As someone who's been playing suboptimal troops for 4 editions now, I'll tell you: if you like them, use them anyway. They're still not a terrible choice, so why not?

GW let's sales dictate rules. I'm pretty sure the main reason we now have Chimera's with absolutely fantastic rules as special choices is because they have a warehouse full of them after Storm of Magic.

Chosen were great last time around. Which means that this time around they take a back seat to the new models. What's the point in writing good rules for models that people already have?

My understanding is that most people used plain warriors as chosen anyway.

Doommasters
03-02-2013, 20:58

They are a business so this should be expected to some extent. Saying that Warriors are still amazing so you could convert you Chosen into the command for Warrior units or simply run them as a warrior unit to use the models. In saying that chosen are not bad by any means just there are other equally if not better options now to choose from.

Let me say it again Chosen are not bad they are just not as broken as before or may not be quite as good point for point as other special options.........but they are still very good!

Tuttivillus
03-02-2013, 21:04
Hi there!

Whats your opinion on that?Hmmm, they are special as You think they should be and they are more efficient, soo...:D

Don't worry, I'm Imperial player with mortar, helstorm, flagellants, handgunners, xbowmen shelved. Use them as warriors. Kick ass warriors bodyguard style ;)

Icarus81
03-02-2013, 21:32

Yes - GW wants to stop selling half their line and sell a whole new half even when the Chosen models were rarely bought before since Warriors made a great stand in. Logic!

Dooks Dizzo
04-02-2013, 02:05
How about 6 minimum sized units and just roll for a daemon prince :)

Then you have a super elite MSU army!

Musiq
04-02-2013, 10:52

This might be a pretty fun tactic actually. Might work out with a warshrine aswell.

Sedge
04-02-2013, 12:11

When I read the book this was the thing that really jumped out. This could just win the odd game on its own.

Nubl0
04-02-2013, 12:15
I don't think sales completely dictate rules. If that's the case the why is the forsaken and Slaughterbrute so... Mediocre? Yet the hell cannon is amazing.