PDA

View Full Version : Starting CSM from the battleforce

Zen21
03-02-2013, 20:37
Hey guys.

A while back I was going to start Chaos Space Marines using the contents of Dark Vengeance, however I ended up selling the models when I was in a WHFB mood, and in need of some extra money for that.

However I'm now feeling like a bit of 40k again, so I'm going to start that CSM army I never did start. However, my armies fluff includes a strong dislike of mortals, including Cultists, and thus I'd like my army not to contain Cultists units. Not only that, but I'm not really keen on the idea of painting up hordes of cultists!

So basically, as Dark Vengeance would be kinda pointless (not mad on the cultists, and the Chosen seem to be quite poorly equipped. Admittedly i could use them as Champions but I'd be more inclined to just purchase them individually), would the Battleforce be a decent starting point?

Cheers guys!!

Maksho
03-02-2013, 20:51
Actually, I think you should build a daemons force instead. It sounds to me like you got the urge to paint some gribblies and the daemons might scratch that itch a little better. If you're really set on the battle force, it really isn't a horrible box by battle force standards.

Edit: The possessed don't have to be possessed either. If the space marine sprues are exactly like the normal box, you could use the possessed parts to make 15 normal chaos space marines who've smoked just a little too much warp dust.

Tay051173096
03-02-2013, 20:55
How large an army are you looking at building, what other themes are you looking at (fast, slow, armoured, demonic etc).

The box gives you :

10 marines
5 possessed
3 bikes
1 Rhino

Its a bit of a miss match the marines and the bikes are good (bikes are expensive to buy though) the possessed can be good and are nice models.

You need another troops choice and hq min to have a legal army, do any of the cult troops interest you?

Are you only getting one battleforce box?

Zen21
03-02-2013, 21:06
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm considering allying Daemons in future but would like CSM to be my main force.

In the short term, I'd probably pick up on battleforce, paint that up, then grab a second one after I'd painted the first (I often fall victim to buying in bulk and demoralizing myself with a wall of plastic to paint).

If I had to say what kind of army I'd be looking at building, in terms of size, anything up to 2.5k in the long term, and as for the theme, I'd say I'd be aiming for quite a fast hitting force with ranged support elements. The unit I'd be most inclined to would be the Raptors, I've always like their fluff and I'm a huge fan of their new models.

Out of the cult troops, it's by far and away Noise Marines and Plague Marines that appeal to me most, by a considerable distance.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

Excessus
03-02-2013, 23:13
A strong dislike of mortals, then you should absolutely have cultists in the list. Willing meat-shields who are only there to die! :D

TheDungen
04-02-2013, 14:10
dependes for the same price as that battleforce you cna get two quads of csm and three bikers, if you want the possessed and the rhino despite them being non ideal choices then go ahead otherwise buy two csm squads and three bikers.

Valorel
04-02-2013, 14:38
How large an army are you looking at building, what other themes are you looking at (fast, slow, armoured, demonic etc).

The box gives you :

10 marines
5 possessed
3 bikes
1 Rhino

Its a bit of a miss match the marines and the bikes are good (bikes are expensive to buy though) the possessed can be good and are nice models.

Well, IMHO, possessed are really terrible and you will never use them if you want a competitive army. They are fine if you play fun/themed/fluffy armies though. Basically, the battleforce offers you the possessed. So if you may play for fun once in a while (or most of the time), go for the box. If you strictly want to play on a competitive side, you can skip the force, as you'll pay the same price (or the difference is really really small anyway, one way or the other) and have useless models;
If you want to have fun converting possessed and playing them as regular mutated CSM, the battle force is a good deal too :)

Zen21
04-02-2013, 17:30
Thanks for the new replies guys. I'm not looking at playing competitively, mainly for fun more than anything else. As for the Rhino, I've not yet played 6th edition at all so I'm not actually sure as to why they're no longer ideal? Whilst I appreciate that Hull Points make transports easy to glance to death, I'd have still thought it'd be more ideal than footslogging marines up the table?

Also whilst at work today, I was considering changing my fluff a little, and using Cadians as stand ins for Cultists, since the autoguns stats are the same as lasguns. The idea behind that would be that the Cadians represented troops who'd surrendered to the CSM who now force them into fighting for them as slaves. Would any of you guys have issues playing against that as long as it was made clear that they're cultist stand ins rather than allied IG? Better I ask now than have opponents whinge at me after I've shelled out for them!

Not even sure I'll go down that route, just something I had in mind if I do.

Thanks again guys!

Harwammer
04-02-2013, 18:27
To get started you could always play the basic CSMs from the box as two 5-man squads.

The battalion contains plenty of spikey bits to add to your guard/slave bases and chains for their equipment to help convey your idea of using them as cultist stand ins. I wouldn't complain, but I am an easy going soft-sap at the table.