PDA

View Full Version : 2500 WoC Friendly-Competitive

shakedown47
05-02-2013, 05:08
This is my first list for the new book after a 3-game weekend spent tweaking new ideas and units. In my area we play what we call friendly-competitive, in that most of us are the Johnny gamer archetype; we want to win and play to win and, I'd like to think, play to a high competitive level, but we try to make themed lists and avoid netlisting or min/maxing our choices to try to even out power disparity between books.

I love Tzeentch, and especially the idea of a sorcerer-king; someone whose martial abilites rival that of any other human but whose mastery of magic is on par with the best magicians of the age.

Sorcerer Lord-415
Level 4, Lore of Metal, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Talisman of Preservation, Chaos Familiar, Poisonous Slime, Third Eye of Tzeentch, Mark of Tzeentch

Exalted Hero-218
Shield, Sword of Might, Talisman of Endurance, BSB, Scaled Skin, Mark of Tzeentch

Chaos Chariot-1**

Chaos Warriors-382
19, FC, Shields, Halberds, Banner of Eternal Flame

Chaos Warriors-387
19, FC, Shields, Halberds, Standard of Discipline

Dragon Ogres-418
6, Shartak, Great Weapons

Gorebeast Chariot-1**

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth-227
Great Weapon

Hellcannon-2**

Thoughts? Pretty much anything is on the table, except no second Hellcannon and no Skullcrushers.

Marshal_Loss
06-02-2013, 10:31
Interested to hear how this list goes mate. :)

ValnirTheReaper
06-02-2013, 10:45
Nice list, looks like it could pack a punch. Why a Shaggoth instead of a Chimera or Slaughterbeast?
And i thought that en Exalted Hero who is made the BsB is not allowed to have magic items apart
from his banner?

zielonkak
06-02-2013, 15:02
Chaos bsb are allowed.

iamthedarkconjuror
06-02-2013, 16:19
Maybe some hounds and/or marauder horsemen? Could drop 2 warriors from each unit to pay for them.

Pedneault
06-02-2013, 22:18
Nice list, looks like it could pack a punch. Why a Shaggoth instead of a Chimera or Slaughterbeast?
And i thought that en Exalted Hero who is made the BsB is not allowed to have magic items apart
from his banner?

You can as long as you don't take a magic standard as well. In that case he can only receives 25 points of "mutations".

Also I want to note that you have 6 dragon-ogres, which are "monstrous beast" and not "monstrous infantry", so you're only getting 1 attack from the 3 behind.

shakedown47
08-02-2013, 05:57
Thanks all. Mostly the shaggoth is there as moral support for the dragon ogres and because I have the awesome MPG Kholek model to show off :) I feel like I'll really miss having marauder horsemen, which have always been a go-to for me, but I've found in almost every recent game that I've become over-reliant on them and I wanted to try something new. Still, it would be nice to have something to suicide on a mangler squig. If I swapped it out, though, it would definitely be for a chimera and maybe a unit or two of dogs, although likely at the loss of the vanilla chariot.

Today I went 2-1-0, first with a pretty solid win over a nice TK army, followed by another pretty solid win against Ogres. The draw came against lizardmen, and really it could have gone either way. My small warrior unit sizes hurt me more than anything, mostly due to an inability to shut down a stegadon charge that killed 11 warriors in the first round. The sole loss was against a daemon player I probably haven't beat since this past summer, when I hung up my double hellcannon single-shrine chosen tourney list. It really wasn't that close, either, but I don't blame that on this list necessarily.

I'm loving Lore of Metal so far, it doesn't have any knockout spells but there's a ton of utility to be had in there and having two blocks of warriors with 2+ armor saves doesn't exactly suck. The sorcerer hasn't blown himself up yet, which helps relieve the tension I feel about losing the Infernal Puppet, and he even managed to kill a TK in a challenge over three rounds of combat. He's got the cheeseball survivability build, I admit, but without OTT offensive power or maxed magic phase control I feel like he's a decent build that people won't complain about.

So far after four games I want to keep on with the list as-is, but I'll update (especially losses) as I get some games in this weekend and welcome any other suggestions.

shakedown47
11-02-2013, 00:27
I just wanted to update one last time before this vanishes into obscurity. I played three games today; one against ogres, one against Carnosaur lizardmen, and one against Empire.

The game against Ogres was pretty close, and at one point it could have gone either way when I had to make the decision to either pursue his general's unit at the cost of likely landing in a river and being susceptible to a combo charge from mournfang and bulls, or attempting to restrain so that I could pivot in place and face the mournfang for a charge on my next turn. I chose the latter, killed the mournfang, picked up a few points by overrunning into some fleeing gnoblars, and made the best out of the remaining turns to come out with a sizeable victory.

Against the lizardmen, his decision to intentionally "nerf" himself by not taking a Slann with templeguard bunker didn't end up having a catastrophic affect on his game, but I still managed to come out ahead to the tune of ~500 points. Nothing spectacular happened, such as insane courages or awful saves or anything like that. It was a pretty box-stock game, where everything for both sides performed as well as it should have, and it just happened that I had better maneuverability and superior combat troops.

The third game was my only loss, and it basically came down to a clutch multiple combat (at one point it contained 7 different units!) where I won and his demigryphs failed to break, tying up my flanking gorebeast chariot to receive a flank charge of its own by greatswords and for my flanking Dragon Ogres to receive a rear charge by 12 inner circle knights. If the demigryphs just would have broken, whether I had caught them or not, there's no doubt in my mind the game would have been mine. Also, and this really wouldn't have changed the outcome all that much, but he mistakenly kept rolling Hold the Line! for his general on griffon, and both of us only realized later that the ability only works if he's joined a unit. After five rounds of combat his griffon finally killed my wizard, which ended my magic presence and gave his wizard nearly free reign on the board. It may or may not have made a difference, who knows really, but what it truly came down to was his demigryphs sticking around at a very inopportune time for me.

My final thoughts on the list are that the things that we all know are good, like the chariots, hellcannon, and warriors units are dependably solid as expected. The units that we know are sub-par, in this case IMO really only the shaggoth, die pretty much every game and sometimes without doing anything effectual and, while fine for casual games, will definitely be removed for a tournament-type list. My thoughts on Metal are evolving a bit, because all day long I was plagued with low Wind of Magic rolls and Metal really is a lore that's happiest with a large phase. I'll still stick with it over the alternative Tzeentch lore, but more than anything I just miss having Heavens. The sorcerer lord is a beast and can go toe-to-toe with anything in the game. His damage output isn't to be scoffed at either, as he got a griffon down to a single remaining wound after only three rounds of combat and took out an ogre BSB after a lucky single round of combat. I really prefer chaos lords because they're so much fun, and I'll probably return to fielding one in a couple more weeks, but for now I feel like it's a pretty solid list that has an answer to just about everything and all without being OP'd in any real way.

Matthews
23-02-2013, 07:52
You can as long as you don't take a magic standard as well. In that case he can only receives 25 points of "mutations".

Also I want to note that you have 6 dragon-ogres, which are "monstrous beast" and not "monstrous infantry", so you're only getting 1 attack from the 3 behind.

The BRB errata added Monstrous Support to both Monstrous Beasts and Monstrous Cavalry.

blackstork
24-02-2013, 09:54
Why lore of Metal? Is it really helpfull for WoC?

shakedown47
25-02-2013, 02:27
Why lore of Metal? Is it really helpfull for WoC?

It's much more predictable than lore of Tzeentch, IMO, and all-around more useful as well. Any unit that I would really want to use Gateway on is likely just as susceptible to Searing Doom, and being able to give chaos warriors Scaly Skin or +1 to hit should probably just be illegal.