PDA

View Full Version : Grond

Sandrios
06-02-2013, 16:25
Last year Games Workshop took the Great Beast of Gorgoroth off sale to 'improve' it, and as they pulled Grond to the gates of Minas Tirith, could they be designing Grond?

Invincible Sword Goddess
06-02-2013, 16:53
While that would be incredibly awesome, I think a simpler explanation is probably likely. The great beast model is just plain bad, even for finecast, as the pieces simply don't fit together, and it has a giant seam running down atleast half its body (atleast mine does). When they say they want to improve I think they are probably doing just that, redesigning it in a way that goes together decently.

kidterminal
06-02-2013, 22:55
I heard every model cast was a miscast in one way or another. I hear they remade the molds. I'm not sure if the new ones fit together better than the old ones. I doubt a Grond is coming out.

Baggers
07-02-2013, 06:38
I doubt there will be a grond model as it will be to big and expensive. It's pulled by 4 of those beasts covered in orcs amd wielded by trolls - it be hundreds of pounds. Also,I believe that the great beast is back on sale now as well.

Spiney Norman
07-02-2013, 09:10
I heard every model cast was a miscast in one way or another. I hear they remade the molds. I'm not sure if the new ones fit together better than the old ones. I doubt a Grond is coming out.

Isnt that true of just about every Finecast model on sale though?

I think the problem with the great beast was a bit more warp than was normal even with Finecast, so when you tried to fit the two halves of the body together you just couldn't do it without heating them, gluing the two halves together and wrapping them in bands until the glue was dry and the model cooled.

As far as Grond goes I can't see them making it for general sale, aside from anything else it would be total overkill even in a siege situation. By all means feel free to purchase 4 great beasts, half a dozen mordor trolls and scratch build the ram out of materials though.

Its the kind of thing Forgeworld would do, if they actually had a LotR division.

Sandrios
07-02-2013, 15:57
I agree, and the Great Beast is safely back on sale as you did have to heat the pieces up to fit them together.

Invincible Sword Goddess
08-02-2013, 21:40
Isnt that true of just about every Finecast model on sale though?.

So true. I don't think I have bought a fine cast model that wasn't miscast yes, and about one in three seriously so at that. The great beast is probably the worst so far though. It still boggles my Mind when I run into people, either in person or online, who insist fine cast is good and that they have never gotten a miscast. Either one of us is seriously deluded or (un) lucky.

Spiney Norman
09-02-2013, 14:50
So true. I don't think I have bought a fine cast model that wasn't miscast yes, and about one in three seriously so at that. The great beast is probably the worst so far though. It still boggles my Mind when I run into people, either in person or online, who insist fine cast is good and that they have never gotten a miscast. Either one of us is seriously deluded or (un) lucky.

Out of 6 different finecast models I have bought, I have had one which I did not either have to return because it was so bad I couldn't fix it or spent far too long repairing the defects inherent to the material. That good model was Bolg, my first finecast model (a Tomb King Liche priest) was so bad I had it replaced 6 times before I got a satisfactory model. My mangler squig appeared good at the time, but after assembly and painting has proceeded to sag terribly and no longer looks anything like the model advertised.

It makes me chuckle when I see GW attempting to justify the inherent defects of finecast by saying things like "a small amount of bubbling and warpage is to be expected when working with resin" which, even if it were true, begs the question why the ******* a you using resin when metal had NONE of these issues?

kidterminal
09-02-2013, 16:13
Out of 6 different finecast models I have bought, I have had one which I did not either have to return because it was so bad I couldn't fix it or spent far too long repairing the defects inherent to the material. That good model was Bolg, my first finecast model (a Tomb King Liche priest) was so bad I had it replaced 6 times before I got a satisfactory model. My mangler squig appeared good at the time, but after assembly and painting has proceeded to sag terribly and no longer looks anything like the model advertised.

It makes me chuckle when I see GW attempting to justify the inherent defects of finecast by saying things like "a small amount of bubbling and warpage is to be expected when working with resin" which, even if it were true, begs the question why the ******* a you using resin when metal had NONE of these issues?
The saggining issue is one I feared. I don't own any finecast, I do own resin models from other companies. I've handled the these models and can tell by the bendiness of the GW models that they are using a crappy resin. They should have moved to all plastic. But then GW doesn't cast their plastic models, professionals do.

Spider-pope
10-02-2013, 09:17

On the other hand out of a dozen Finecast mini's, i've had exactly one - Skulltaker with half his head missing to a bubble - that i've had to return. The rest were perfect. Which is the problem really. There is such a variance in quality of Finecast miniatures that it muddies the water when trying to gauge it's success as a material.

If every Finecast was as bad as those you've encountered, it'd be ditched quickly enough. If every Finecast was as good as i've encountered, we'd only have its stupid price to complain about. But because its a seemingly random mix of both we're stuck in a limbo.

As for the topic, the sheer size of Grond means it's almost impossible that we'll see a kit released. It'd cost a fortune. The only chance we'll see it on the tabletop from GW is in the unlikely event they decide to launch an Epic scale range of LotR.